Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most controversial thread of nearly all-time

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    All those fancy woods and strange electronics are great if you don’t care what they sound like.
    Active EQ in a bass makes a lot of sense.

And you get the usual side effect that you are now independent of cable capacitance and input stage impedance. Good for consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
      Active EQ in a bass makes a lot of sense.

And you get the usual side effect that you are now independent of cable capacitance and input stage impedance. Good for consistency.
      Yeah, it was half joke half semi-truth, the latter ‘semi-truth’ meaning simply I’ve never seen bass players obsess over what pickups were in Jaco Pastorius’ bass or how to sound exactly like Tim Bogert or what wood was James Jameson’s bass made out of, the way guitar players do. Guitar players don’t venture out of the box because they are always copying someone, so their gear is always a repeat of the past. Bass players I know seem to obsess more on technique and methods; how did Billy Sheehan do the raking lines such-a-such song, and what scale was Stanley Clarke using in middle part of his solo on the live video, what string gauges does Larry Graham use, etc.

(Disclaimer: I’m not a bass player, so my bass references are probably laughable to a true bass player. Those are just names I know and have listened to.)

The point simply is: bass players don’t keep themselves in a gear box, copying someone else’s sound, the way guitar players do.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        fairly or unfairly -I have always equated overly curvaceous exotic wood basses with farty jazzy tones
        While I might appreciate the craftsmanship of those basses, those tones and those kinds of players are impossible to listen to.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          While I might appreciate the craftsmanship of those basses, those tones and those kinds of players are impossible to listen to.
          what is that lifeless farting tone that so many jazz players dig? -i think they believe it makes them sound like a lively double bass -but not to me.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            what is that lifeless farting tone that so many jazz players dig? -i think they believe it makes them sound like a lively double bass -but not to me.
            It's not a fart, it's a burp. Jazz burp. Players like it cause it responds well to a variety of techniques, doesn't get muddy when doing chord work, and makes the best use of lighter gauge strings that play faster and bend easier.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post
              It's not a fart, it's a burp. Jazz burp. Players like it cause it responds well to a variety of techniques, doesn't get muddy when doing chord work, and makes the best use of lighter gauge strings that play faster and bend easier.

Don't ask me. I like the "banging on a piano string" bass tone.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post

It's a fart... and the whole idea is muddy to me.

I'm just bustin' jazz ballz

Prefer actual double bass for jazz, because I prefer Jazz before it was relegated to elevators.
                Last edited by NegativeEase; 04-23-2020, 08:16 AM.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

What about weight and balance? Do some of these exotic basses weigh a ton?

The best sounding and playing bass I played once during a jam session was the regular house band's bass player's Warwick with a wenge neck. It was not too furniture looking and was not too heavy or a neck diver.

It is kind of funny watching you tubes of Allen Woody playing a forest green, hair metal looking, BC Rich bass along side Warren and Dickey playing 50's Les Pauls. Great bass tone, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Don't ask me. I like the "banging on a piano string" bass tone.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                    That's what I like. Give me Chris Squire, any day over the smooth jazz slap-a-thon with 22 strings.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's what I like. Give me Chris Squire, any day over the smooth jazz slap-a-thon with 22 strings.

I dunno . . . there's some jazzy 22 string bass playing that really appeals to me:

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                        What about weight and balance? Do some of these exotic basses weigh a ton?

The best sounding and playing bass I played once during a jam session was the regular house band's bass player's Warwick with a wenge neck. It was not too furniture looking and was not too heavy or a neck diver.
                        Warwick just knows how to make exotic wood basses without going crazy looking or heavy.

Comment

We are getting off the main point: how long until Aceman announces incoming NBD (new bass day)? I'm putting my money on 20 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                            We are getting off the main point: how long until Aceman announces incoming NBD (new bass day)? I'm putting my money on 20 days.
                            Including shipping? Given shipping variance we should place our bets in begin-shipping times.

Comment

Damn, you sure you're not trying to date me?

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                                Including shipping? Given shipping variance we should place our bets in begin-shipping times.
                                I figured he has already ordered it!

Comment

Working...
                                X