banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar Fetish Clapton "Woman Tone" circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitar Fetish Clapton "Woman Tone" circuit?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    A Strat won't get the woman tone no matter what you put into it. That tone was a stock Gibson into the right amp, and Clapton's fingers.
    Yep. A Gibson with humbuckers, a cranked Marshall and Clapton's talent and imagination.

And a tone control turned almost all the way down.

Clapton didn't use a boost or distortion pedal.

A lot of younger players who weren't there, have no idea how much influence Clapton had. He was the EVH of his day in the 60's.

A HUGE influence on pretty much every rock guitarist who came after.

They didn't call him God back then for no reason. No one had ever sounded exactly like that before.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-07-2020, 12:07 PM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

they called him God because some graffiti artist misspelled Good
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        The GFS circuits are rebranded Artec. I bought an Artec QTA booster and it's pretty subtle and not much of a boost at all. I had it installed in a guitar for a while but took it out and put it in a metal box to use as a pedal and it was more useful that way. http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/index.html
        Is the Artec BCU any good? It varies between a flat boost, a mid boost, and a bass/treble boost.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          they called him God because some graffiti artist misspelled Good
          Ha!

Actually they called him God because no one had ever played or sounded exactly like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

That gizmo is called "Marketing".

EC "woman-tone" was a Gibson LP with the tone knob rolled all the way off into a Marshall.

Seeing how Clapton hasn't played a Marshall or Les Paul in 50+ years again i say : "Marketing".
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BadAspen View Post
              Maybe I should more clearly state the situation. I currently have a guitar drilled for two pots and a switch, somewhere along the line of previous owners the tone pot disappeared. I have no use for it but I want to fill the hole with something useful.

I play punk and I find the 3 options on this switch useful, a bassier to to fill in the low end for rhythm playing, a scooped setting for a skankier punk sound, and a midboost for solos.

I came hear to ask if this is a passable unit that will fill those needs. I am not after a woman tone, thats just the name of the product.
              I get what you are throwing down now and yes it should work. That device is named for a famous guitar tone it can never duplicate. But it should scratch your itch.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAspen View Post
                Is the Artec BCU any good? It varies between a flat boost, a mid boost, and a bass/treble boost.
                I only have experience with the QTA. The amount of boost is pretty subtle only a few db.

Comment

That is the problem with any device like that...they guy it is named after didn't use it, doesn't endorse it, and anyone with access to a Clapton interview can figure out how he did it. He was always pretty forthcoming, unlike EVH, who deliberately lied about his rig to throw people off.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X