banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strat 5-pos switch - bend towards body - did anybody do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strat 5-pos switch - bend towards body - did anybody do it?

This ain't no hootenanny.
    Settle down.....

Comment

Granted, this is just a Tele but it belonged to a guy that didn't mind bending the 3-way switch.

"Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I would think 3D printing would work. However, I haven't seen 3D printing do smooth finishes like you'd see on a pickguard. I'd think any good pickguard maker could put the switch anywhere you want it. Do a few mock-ups in Photoshop or something with the switch moved, and send it to a few companies and see what they say.
        after its printed
        wipe it with alcohol
        to dress the top

the alcohol melts its surface and "polishes" it

labor intensive

buy pickguard material in the color you want

trace the old one onto the new one
        and cut out with a dremel tool
        go slow, dont cut your finger

or as Briguy will tell ya

use old vinyl laminate flooring

anything flat will cut up
        use 1/16 inch wood veneer
        sheets of steel that they put on the wall behind ovens
        anything you want
        Last edited by ehdwuld; 05-13-2020, 04:36 PM.
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Granted, this is just a Tele but it belonged to a guy that didn't mind bending the 3-way switch.
          I was going to mention Danny Gatton, but you beat me to it.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I have done this. On my first guitar. Not much help.

Try removing the switch tip entirely, and filing the corners just enough so that they don't jab you.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              I have done this. On my first guitar. Not much help.

Try removing the switch tip entirely, and filing the corners just enough so that they don't jab you.
              I currently have tip removed, and did electricians insulating tape 3-4 turns or so to get rid of sharp corners.
              Not bad, I can live with that, I think. Or I can cut out something is rubber material or something.

There is still a 90 degree bend downwards that could make having less rise above pick guard, which seem to be immediate problem when in position 4-5.
              Position 1-3 is no problem.

Comment

I'd be interested to know if you come up with a better place for it. Over the years, some companies have put the switches on horns or down on the body to solve this problem, so it is in no way unique to you. Tele switches are at the wrong angle for me, so I'd have to change that if I played one.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I'd be interested to know if you come up with a better place for it. Over the years, some companies have put the switches on horns or down on the body to solve this problem, so it is in no way unique to you. Tele switches are at the wrong angle for me, so I'd have to change that if I played one.
                  I keep updating if I try other options.

I had a Mex Tele a short while, but also had issues with neck pos of that position of switch, so got rid of it shortly after.

Reason for me not going the traditional Tele way, was that I found a Squier Vintage Modified Deluxe first, that had Gibson style controls and 2 vol, 2 tone and 3-way switch.

Looking for american Tele I came on to Shawbucker Tele Delux that is the same way.
                  I would not claim these sound exactly as all Tele's with SC of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	twoteles.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5819102

Comment

You might trying sourcing one of those switches from DiMarzio (made in China) with the short bats. Ernie Ball uses them on many guitars like the Majesty, and Fender uses them for their Lead series guitars (now and back then, too). Sorry - I don't remember the part number. These are really small switches, and you have to be creative when it comes time to solder them in - but it can be done. I've got them on some of my axes where the switch location was a real pain.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      You might trying sourcing one of those switches from DiMarzio (made in China) with the short bats. Ernie Ball uses them on many guitars like the Majesty, and Fender uses them for their Lead series guitars (now and back then, too). Sorry - I don't remember the part number. These are really small switches, and you have to be creative when it comes time to solder them in - but it can be done. I've got them on some of my axes where the switch location was a real pain.
                      That seems like a very doable modification - maybe mount in lower hole of original, and let some extra slot from original remain - not the end of the world. Some translation work of wiring I suppose, but could be done. Interesting approach for sure.

Thought about maybe looking for turn switches as well to mount in lower hole, some mini thing.
                      Last edited by Larioso; 05-14-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

"Improve your technique"? I hit the volume knob on my MIJ Jackson's (I have four, have had 10+ others); my favorite guitar, stupid volume placement.

I've bent most of my strat 5-way switches (I bend them toward the bottom of the guitar) for the same reason as the OP.

If I made a guitar with the knobs 1" apart (and I actually have) and you found them hard to turn, would it be 'bad technique'? Or would it be just that you don't roll them with the edge of your palm like I do? If I found a guitar with something in the way of how YOU play (and trust me, there's something out there that will bother anyone) would it be 'poor technique' on your part, or just the wrong placement for you?

I don't know about you guys, but when I get into my car, I adjust the seat and mirrors, and don't try to improve my driving 'technique' until I'm comfortable.

Wow.

Larry

Comment

Larry is ON THE MONEY.

Technique has NOTHING TO DO with preference for control placement.
                          And whoever said it just wasn't using his kidneys.

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                            "Improve your technique"? I hit the volume knob on my MIJ Jackson's (I have four, have had 10+ others); my favorite guitar, stupid volume placement.

I've bent most of my strat 5-way switches (I bend them toward the bottom of the guitar) for the same reason as the OP.

If I made a guitar with the knobs 1" apart (and I actually have) and you found them hard to turn, would it be 'bad technique'? Or would it be just that you don't roll them with the edge of your palm like I do? If I found a guitar with something in the way of how YOU play (and trust me, there's something out there that will bother anyone) would it be 'poor technique' on your part, or just the wrong placement for you?

I don't know about you guys, but when I get into my car, I adjust the seat and mirrors, and don't try to improve my driving 'technique' until I'm comfortable.

Wow.

Larry
                            Your car analogy is critically flawed.
                            As is your volume knob one too come to think of it.

Your comfort aspects in the car are like adjusting the guitar strap so it sits (yep in a comfortable way) so everything is to hand. If you then grind the clutch......well that is your skill at driving the car. If you cannot turn the wheel without knocking other instruments its the same.
                            Similarly you don't cut a hole in the car if you hit the door trim whist steering.....you change your technique.

Controls are made so the average dexterity person can operate them. Merely suggesting a patently and obvious stupid design hypothetical is no argument either.
                            The switch is far enough away not to fall into the 'silly' category.....but to hand for quick changes. Just the way that the indicators and lights stalks in the car are located.
                            However you don't find the level of complaints amongst drivers for those sort of controls that you do in the guitar playing world.

But as a group, guitarists have the highest levels of stubborn belligerence on average that I have come across......period. So I guess its no wonder we have these discussions.

Comment

I just can't imagine hitting the selector switch on a strat unless I'm strumming on it like I would an acoustic. I've watched a buddy of mine play speed metal left handed on a righty strat strung lefty and he didn't even hit the selector.
                              But, by the same token, if someone wants to change the controls on their instruments, I have no problem with it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X