banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

    and other Gold Hardware.

    I have some Deans with gold hardware that through excessive gig use are starting to look, well, $h!tty. Can these be cleaned up at all? Or am I just gonna replace?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  • #2
    Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

    toothpaste

    or Brasso


    if that fails

    replace
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

      Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
      toothpaste

      or Brasso


      if that fails

      replace
      I guess. But be gentle. That's just a super thin gold plating and you'll rub through it in a heartbeat.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

        I'd consider chemical bath like salt and vinegar or something safer since gold is not easily soluble.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

          Brasso seems harsh.

          I'll try Toothpaste

          My sweat just eats that stuff. Replace covers, and of course pickups, is an option...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

            My experience:
            I bought a brand new Gretsch with all gold hardware, but the highest point on the bigsby was tarnished, possibly from something where the case contacted it. I called FMIC to get advice how it could be cleaned, being a warranty matter. Support rep said, “Use silver polish and rub gently.” So I used silver polish and rubbed gently. Gold came right off. Called back, “You told me to use silver polish and it took the gold right off. Now how do I get this fixed? It’s a brand new guitar?” Response, “You can buy a replacement. I can order it for you. We don’t warranty the gold plating.”

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

              Gold is a soft metal, and even the 18K stuff is pretty thin. Much of the Asian gold plating is 7 or 10K, and comes off if you stare it for long.

              You want it to stay shiny? Buy brass, polish it up, and apply that clear lacquer that horn makers use. It will stick.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

                Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                Gold is a soft metal, and even the 18K stuff is pretty thin. Much of the Asian gold plating is 7 or 10K, and comes off if you stare it for long.

                You want it to stay shiny? Buy brass, polish it up, and apply that clear lacquer that horn makers use. It will stick.
                Absolutely agree with this. Once it starts to go, it goes. That's one of the things I personally like about gold

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

                  Soap and water only. Anything abrasive will wreck the plating in a flash. That includes toothpaste.
                  .
                  "Brains have been washed. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory." - Isle Of Dogs

                  .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

                    Would a heavier layer of 18k gold plating be more durable?

                    I only have gold hardware on one guitar, and it’s more silver colored than gold at this point.
                    Oh no.....


                    Oh Yeah!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

                      Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      Would a heavier layer of 18k gold plating be more durable?

                      I only have gold hardware on one guitar, and it’s more silver colored than gold at this point.
                      Should be more durable. Gold doesn't tarnish or corrode so I think the issue is abrasion physically wearing away a superthin plating, at which point moisture & acid can go to work on the exposed metal underneath.
                      .
                      "Brains have been washed. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory." - Isle Of Dogs

                      .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

                        I say....replace. Look for good replacements, and don't buy it all at once to keep costs down (old musician tip). Gold just doesn't seem to hold up well in this humid state. I have seen satin finished gold that fares better.
                        Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

                          Use a really good micro fiber cloth to clean - 20% polymide Grant’s cloths are good ones. Harbor Freight has them.

                          A dremel with a very soft pad on low speed if you are brave, I’ve used a really fine plastic wire wheel in a dremel as well to eat up the corrosion. Then wax it with a good carnauba wax
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

                          Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

                            Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            My experience:
                            I bought a brand new Gretsch with all gold hardware, but the highest point on the bigsby was tarnished, possibly from something where the case contacted it. I called FMIC to get advice how it could be cleaned, being a warranty matter. Support rep said, “Use silver polish and rub gently.” So I used silver polish and rubbed gently. Gold came right off. Called back, “You told me to use silver polish and it took the gold right off. Now how do I get this fixed? It’s a brand new guitar?” Response, “You can buy a replacement. I can order it for you. We don’t warranty the gold plating.”
                            Wow! That's aweful customer service. What did you end up doing?
                            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: How to De-Tarnish Gold pickup covers...

                              Just curious if anyone is aware of a material that looks like gold, is not expensive from a manufacturing cost standpoint, that could be used instead of gold for pickup covers? I guess I am a little suprised that given the state of modern material sciences, no manufacturer has figured out a substitute for gold plating...
                              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X