Learning to Let Go: Truss Rod Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to Let Go: Truss Rod Covers

Curse 'em to hell or put up with them for more style?

As somebody who plays my guitars daily, I think I am done with them. Most of the year, it is no big deal. I do not run my A/C nor heat constantly, so sometimes there are climatic swings on a day to day basis. Today is an open windows day, just a gorgeous day here. For my guitars? Not so much, they like to b!tc# a bit. Minor adjustments, but still.

I hate removing truss rod screws just to crank my rod a bit whenever I need some relief.

So, for my future builds, I may have to adapt a magnet truss rod cover attachment system or just go without covers.

End of rant. Back to jammin'
    Soundcloud

Re: Learning to Let Go: Truss Rod Covers

Same with underwear

Lolol
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I usually leave 'em on. Never felt the need to adjust the truss rod on a daily basis...that just sounds obsessive.

That said, a magnetic cover would be cool in general. Or maybe fit one of the swing-away covers used on some Ibanez'?

Comment

I only remove them to adjust after a string gauge change, which I don't do per guitar. Maybe once every 4-5 years I'll try a different gauge for something. So I keep the truss cover on. Looks nicer too.

Comment

I love the truss rod wheels like on Music Man, or the adjustments on the side of the neck, like Warmoth does. We should be past the idea of truss rod covers (why screws? why not magnets?) and even worse, the Fender 'have to take the neck off' adjustments. I wish guitarists would just say no.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
            Same with underwear

Lolol
            haha, let freedom ring... I guess
            Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
              I usually leave 'em on. Never felt the need to adjust the truss rod on a daily basis...that just sounds obsessive.

That said, a magnetic cover would be cool in general. Or maybe fit one of the swing-away covers used on some Ibanez'?
              I do not make daily adjustments, but with wild weather swings, it is usually about twice a month or more.
              Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                I only remove them to adjust after a string gauge change, which I don't do per guitar. Maybe once every 4-5 years I'll try a different gauge for something. So I keep the truss cover on. Looks nicer too.
                I agree the covers do look nicer...
                Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I love the truss rod wheels like on Music Man, or the adjustments on the side of the neck, like Warmoth does. We should be past the idea of truss rod covers (why screws? why not magnets?) and even worse, the Fender 'have to take the neck off' adjustments. I wish guitarists would just say no.
                  I really would love the side Warmoth adjustment. I will have to see if they can offer that feature on the neck specifications I prefer. I will remember to do this.

God I would hate having to remove the neck. To that, I do say no.

Yeah, it is time for magnets whenever I do need a truss rod cover though. I am just mildly superstitious when it comes to my setup. I do not want to tune two strings down enough to provide slack just to screw the cover back in place after setting it all up and making a truss rod adjustment. It gets tiring when I really just want to play while allowing the instrument to settle into stability after adjustments.
                  Soundcloud

Comment

I have a little tupperware looking plastic container with most of my truss rod covers.

Comment

I don't even do TR Covers anymore as of this year. It's a neat, small slot in the headstock veneer for your TR adjustment wrench. bye bye. Won't miss yah.

Comment

I don't think it's good for your guitars to be tweaking the truss rod that often. I rarely if ever touch my truss rods.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Neither one of my guitars have needed a truss rod adjustment in over a decade even moving from one extreme climate to another. I leave my windows open at night as well this time of year and have a decent 20-30 degree change in temp up and down everyday and guitars still in tune day in and out. They both have hard rock maple necks and dual action truss rods so they are super stable. I also keep them setup with same gauge of strings and tuning. I didn't play guitar at the time when I lived in Northern MN so I don't know how they would react there but I do know weather is pretty extreme there. Rock maple and dual action rods are a fantastic solid combo that I plan on trying to stick with. Oh, and I like keeping my TR covers on if the guitars were made with them. Maybe thats a combo you should consider in a build if you have so much trouble with stability.
                          Last edited by Mr. 80's; 07-17-2020, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I also think the spoke wheel is a very elegant solution. One of my new guitars has it and when I took it to band practise the other guitarplayer was like; 'what is that!?" Since he's not into tech stuff I felt very nerdy explaining it
                            Owning a few guitars, I find that the lower quality/pricepoint the guitar is, the more I need to tweak the truss rod every now and then. The more expensive ones are way more stable it seems. Curious to see how my new roasted maple axe will do in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
                              I also think the spoke wheel is a very elegant solution. One of my new guitars has it and when I took it to band practise the other guitarplayer was like; 'what is that!?" Since he's not into tech stuff I felt very nerdy explaining it
                              Owning a few guitars, I find that the lower quality/pricepoint the guitar is, the more I need to tweak the truss rod every now and then. The more expensive ones are way more stable it seems. Curious to see how my new roasted maple axe will do in time.
                              It makes everything so much easier...it is just tradition why we still use the other adjustments points. BTW, magnets should be used everywhere on a guitar. Trem covers, electronics covers...no more screws.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X