No announcement yet.

Urgent: Sovtek Mig-50 Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play alot of Christian Contemporary (rock), Jazz, Metal, Blues, Oldschool rock.

Pretty much everything. Thats why the v-amp2 is for me, cause its so versatile.

You see, I don't have much money - and anything I Get will have to last me to at least next year cause my parents are planning trips overseas ect, So money is a tad tight.

So buying THE DREAM AMP is a tad way off.

With this amp i would also need a cab, so that has to be accounted for.
    I have 300 Cash and can probably sell my amp for 300 at least (all amounts in AUD (australian dollars))
    So thats about 600 bucks.

I tried the amp with my rig today and I got the guy down to 375 AUD (278 USD).
    The amp is very clean and articlulate on its own (it is missing a knob (the middle one in the eq, this will be impossible to replace, as it is a strange pot size ) ).
    But the sound is very clean and articulate (but so is my fender), The tube tone is different to my fender's SS tone, I can tell - Mildly Rich, I wouldnt say very rich but mildly rich and pretty open.
    With the V-amp2 it sounds very good, but the v-amp2 makes anything sound at least decent.

The amp will be a stepup, Because its got Tubes and it will call for a 4x12.

ANYONE HELP ME???
    HELP???

I also played a JTM 45 today, I really cant see much between the Mig-50 and it.
    Obviously the JTM 45 was better cause it had the v30 loaded cab but the mig-50 had some crappy one from the pawn brokers.

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.
    I'm gonna go back one day soon and head to head compare, my fender and the sovtek.

BTW-PS- I can get a new (blue) Peavy Wolfgang EVH model for 1600aud (about 1200 US). Although I don't really have that much $$$.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
      I play alot of Christian Contemporary (rock), Jazz, Metal, Blues, Oldschool rock.

Pretty much everything. Thats why the v-amp2 is for me, cause its so versatile.

You see, I don't have much money - and anything I Get will have to last me to at least next year cause my parents are planning trips overseas ect, So money is a tad tight.

So buying THE DREAM AMP is a tad way off.

With this amp i would also need a cab, so that has to be accounted for.
      I have 300 Cash and can probably sell my amp for 300 at least (all amounts in AUD (australian dollars))
      So thats about 600 bucks.

I tried the amp with my rig today and I got the guy down to 375 AUD (278 USD).
      The amp is very clean and articlulate on its own (it is missing a knob (the middle one in the eq, this will be impossible to replace, as it is a strange pot size ) ).
      But the sound is very clean and articulate (but so is my fender), The tube tone is different to my fender's SS tone, I can tell - Mildly Rich, I wouldnt say very rich but mildly rich and pretty open.
      With the V-amp2 it sounds very good, but the v-amp2 makes anything sound at least decent.

The amp will be a stepup, Because its got Tubes and it will call for a 4x12.

ANYONE HELP ME???
      HELP???

I also played a JTM 45 today, I really cant see much between the Mig-50 and it.
      Obviously the JTM 45 was better cause it had the v30 loaded cab but the mig-50 had some crappy one from the pawn brokers.

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.
      I'm gonna go back one day soon and head to head compare, my fender and the sovtek.

BTW-PS- I can get a new (blue) Peavy Wolfgang EVH model for 1600aud (about 1200 US). Although I don't really have that much $$$.

Ok, if it were me and I had to choose between the JTM and the Sovtek I'll go for the JTM. Are they at the same price range??? I know you want a tube amp but don't jump on the first thing that you see because it's cheap. You mentioned that you are using a V-amp 2 with a ss Fender. I think that is a good combination right there, at least for now. The JTM has less gain than the Sovtek plus you will need some boost pedals in front of it though. Now it will cover the classic rock part well...

You play quite variety of music styles, so you need an amp that can do classic tones and modern gain tones. IMO I don't think the Sovtek or the JTM would be such a tool for all those styles of music. Try to save a bit more money and get an used Peavey 5150 combo (Try if first if you can), How about an used Fender Hot rod Deluxe with a pedal or the V-amp2 in font of it. Fender amps are very clean and work great with pedals. Fender's Blues Jr (if you don't need that many watts), Peavey’s classic…..Just to mention a few. Try to listen to as many clips as you can find and ask people about those amps……

These are just opinions for the most part. I been there, I always wanted to have that cool plexi sound, so I went around it. I spent a lot of money on effects, amps, pups, to get it. Did not work for me, someone on this forum told me, if you want a plexi sound get a plexi. So I did. The POINT IS once you have the tone you like in your head, then go amp hunting. But if you are tight of money and just want to spend the little money you have on trial and error it is going to get kind of difficult getting what you want.

If you really like the tones that you get out of the Sovtek (without Fx, or distortion pedals), then go for it. It is all a matter of taste and getting the sound that is on your head. Now if you plan to sell your V-amp2 to get a cab and only have the Sovtek as your main rig without any other pedals, think about it.

Hope this helps………..Good luck, and play them until they throw you out of the pawn shop…
      Gear:
      Gauge Custom Guitars Double Cutaway
      1988 Strat (copy)
      Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w
      Voodoo amps 20:20 and 50:50 cables
      Bob Burt Custom CabinetsCustom 2x12 cab

For Sale:

Comment

Working...
      X