Good bedroom amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good bedroom amp?

Well last night I did some cosmetic changes to my girlfriend's Strat that'd just been collecting dust -- new black pearloid pickguard, removed the white pickup covers to match, new knobs, et cetera...and she said it's inspired her to play music again.

The biggest problem now is her amp -- little 15 watt Fender solid state. Are there any moderately-priced, low- to mid-watt amps that'll sound good to get her back on track? She's into kind of heavy music (Eighteen Visions, Bleeding Through, and other bands with spooky names) so I'm thinkin some smaller Randall combos or something?
    green globe burned black by sunn

I would get a modeling amp for her (and you ). They sound good at bedroom volumes and with the right model can get really good tones.

Jason
    Low wattage rocks!
    Bumbox Lead 1
    Orange Tiny Terror
    Vox 120VTH
    ----------------------
    Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
    Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Originally posted by JfromHouston
      I would get a modeling amp for her (and you ). They sound good at bedroom volumes and with the right model can get really good tones.

Jason
      Agreed.....personally I wouldn't opt for a modeling amp for live purposes (must my preference) but I use the Digitech GNX3 at home in the condo due to noise limitations.
      PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
      PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
      GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
      Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
      Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
      various pedals

Comment

I agree; modeling will be quieter, and give you more tonal options. At home (NYC apartment) I have the simplest setup: Just a Korg PXR-4 and computer speakers. Perfect for practicing and writing, and I can play very low and still have screaming distortion.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
          I agree; modeling will be quieter, and give you more tonal options. At home (NYC apartment) I have the simplest setup: Just a Korg PXR-4 and computer speakers. Perfect for practicing and writing, and I can play very low and still have screaming distortion.
          That's my setup with the GNX3....I just dump it right into the soundcard and go from there. I still get my distortion fix and it's great to capture/record licks when I come up with them by firing up Cakewalk on the spot.
          various pedals

Comment

CHC, where about in Yardley are you? My parents live in Bristol, and I have great friends that live in Fallsington.

Comment

I was gonna recommend getting a POD & go to either her existing amp or the computer.....

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

My MG series marshall is ok. Can do reasonable sounds throught the gain ranges at low volume. There are probably better options out there though, i would have thought some multi effect or a modelling amp would have been the way.

Comment

CHC, where about in Yardley are you? My parents live in Bristol, and I have great friends that live in Fallsington.
                  I live about a mile or so from the Oxford Valley Mall right off Oxford Valley Rd.
                  various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by chcjunior
                    I live about a mile or so from the Oxford Valley Mall right off Oxford Valley Rd.
                    Whoa, cool! There's a great record store by you called Positively Records. It's better than 90% of the CD stores in NYC, and they have a LOT of underground metal, as well as the BEST used CD selection for metal!

Comment

Whoa, cool! There's a great record store by you called Positively Records. It's better than 90% of the CD stores in NYC, and they have a LOT of underground metal, as well as the BEST used CD selection for metal!
                      Thanks for the tip. I'm "working from home" today so I might venture out once UPS makes their deliver. If not then, soon.
                      various pedals

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'm "working from home" today so I might venture out once UPS makes their deliver. If not then, soon.
                        LOL! That's great!

It's located @ 5 Points, right between the the drug store and the comic book store.

Comment

LOL! That's great!

It's located @ 5 Points, right between the the drug store and the comic book store.
                          So we're talking "Tattle Tales Too" area?
                          various pedals

Comment

So we're talking "Tattle Tales Too" area?
                            Yep, right across the street!

Dude, do you rememeber when they tried to make that place into a proper club?? I played a gig there in, like '89! LOL

Comment

Tell her guitars are for men, and to just go to the fridge and fetch you a sandwich and beer. LOL

JUST KIDDING! I really dig the Vox Valvetronix head on a higher quality cabinet. The heavy tones are great at low volumes,
                              and the selectable output of 6, 15, 30, or 60W, as well as the headphone and recording outs, are perfect for apt. playing.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X