Recommend me a good Distortion and Chorus pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a good Distortion and Chorus pedal

The G2D Morpheus is great for heavy stuff, although it may be a little more expensive than what you want...

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
      Distortion: ToneBone Hot British (for hard rock or metal, this is perfect)
      Chorus: Boss CE-2
      Tone Bones are great! I have the Classic, the Hot British and love them both! Can't tell you anything about chorus pedals, though.

Comment

Would you get a MXR distortion over a Boss DS-1? I need something to record with..that is going to sound decent...and something that won't leave a hole in my pocket.
        Epiphone Les Paul-100 >Neck/59 Bridge/DD
        Epiphone Les Paul-Studio >Bridge/JB
        OLP 4-String Bass> Active Basslines Pup
        Peavey 5150 Head and 5150 Slant Cab
        Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2
        Dunlop 535Q Wah~Ernie Ball Volume~Fender PT-10

Phil 4:13
        I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

~ That verse has helped me make it through everyday of my life. Remember.. God is always there and always will be. He has and always will love you.

Comment

I think the MXR doubleshot sounds like a good buy. I could definately use 2 channels. I might get it over the DS-1. Is this a good idea?
          Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2

~ That verse has helped me make it through everyday of my life. Remember.. God is always there and always will be. He has and always will love you.

Comment

Originally posted by stratsandaks
            Distortion: A DS-1 modded by John aka Stratdeluxer
            Ditto ... see my clips here:

Boss clips

I have a Boss CH-1 chorus, and it's fine, although I don't use it often.
            --------------

I recently got a Micro Vibe, which is in a different ball park, but it's a cool swirly pedal for not a lot of $$$$. It can get an OK "faux" Leslie with a little bit of distortion pushing it.
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarsmasher911
              I think the MXR doubleshot sounds like a good buy. I could definately use 2 channels. I might get it over the DS-1. Is this a good idea?
              I have a MXR Distortion +, and I must admit it's a bit on the noisy side. I'm not sure it would be the best bet for recording.
              A DS-1 modded by STRATDELUXER97 would certainly fit the bill.
              I like and use mine quite a bit.

Comment

So u think the DS-1 would be better? I am just afraid i won't get the tone i wanted out of it. I have a NS-2...would that help cut out the noise on the MXR Distortion Doubleshot? I really need 2 channels...that is why i am leaning more towards the MXR, but yet i think i could get the Boss DS-1 and the Boss SD-1...and still save some money. I dunno.....i can't decide on the Boss pedals or the MXR...what shall i do? Somebody convince me...what path to take!
                Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarsmasher911
                  .....i can't decide on the Boss pedals or the MXR...what shall i do? Somebody convince me...what path to take!
                  I have a magic 8-ball that I consult when I have important decisions to make and I just can't decide what to do.

The magic 8-ball said no to the Boss pedals, and yes to the MXR Distortion Plus.

Now wether or not you want to trust your life to a magic 8-ball or not is upto you, but it's never failed me so far.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I had the MXR Double Shot Distortion and let me tell you, that pedal was really bad. The tone was grainy (wasps in a jar, harsh) and muddy. One channel was trashy high gain. The other was a really bad fuzz pedal. After endless hours of tweaking it with my setup at that time of my Gibson Les Paul Standard through my Fender Vibrolux Reverb, I still couldn't get it to sound at all decent. Don't trust that crappy magazine review that stated that it was transparent and sounded like an added gain portion of the amp. That's bull. No matter what stuff you use that pedal with it'll all sound the same because it colors your tone completely. Biggest piece of garbage I've ever bought and I sold it losing around 40 bucks, but I was happy to have it gone.

MXR puts out good stuff (the dynacomp, phase 90 etc.), but the Double Shot Distortion is NOT it. Stay far far away... it doesn't matter if it has two channels with individual EQs if it all sounds pathetic.
                    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 05-11-2004, 09:38 PM.
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I don't think i will leave my decsion up to an 8 ball. I have done that before and it didn't turn out so well. lol.......I might just get the boss pedals...since most of my pedals are boss...and i trust them more.
                      Boss-DD-3~PH-2~BF-2~TR-2

Comment

So.... I suggest the Boss pedals. Me and almost every person I've been in a band with has a DS-1, and we're all VERY happy with them. The chorus I used (don't remember which one) was VERY amazing and thick sounding. That's my 2 sense.
                        You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

How about a Robert Keeley modified DS-1? I too love Boss pedals. Everything on my board is a Boss pedal, just because they are a safe bet. They usually sound pretty good and, most importantly to me, they are about as durable and reliable as you can get. Plus, they don't cost a fortune. These are qualities I look for in all my gear.

Anyway, I have both a Keeley DS-1 and a Keeley BD-2 on my board and he does great work. The DS-1 mod gives it more volume and just generally makes the pedal sound better to me.

The other DS-1 mod mentioned earlier could also be another good option. I am just not familiar with that one.

Comment

Working...
                          X