Clear All

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    It’s gotta have a Floyd!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    I hope if I build this thing I don’t regret it being a hardtail instead of a Floyd.
    I think it is human nature to want what we don't have. Either way, you will wish you had it!

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    I hope if I build this thing I don’t regret it being a hardtail instead of a Floyd.

Leave a comment:

• chrisplaysmusic
    replied
    Consider using a Stetsbar ii

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Yeah, the new Jupiter 6 string is out. I don't know what you consider 'classic' tones, though. The Jupiter isn't a classic sounding pickup at all.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I absolutely love my El Diablo. Although, it's not "thin" rails. Everyone, including the website, calls it super hot. It doesn't strike me that way at all. I hear it as surprisingly well balanced, both in output and frequency response. The Custom Shop also has the "thin-rail" Jupiter. But I haven't heard one of those.

Oops. Just noticed the Jupiter is for 7-string.

And . . . I back-pedal again. There's a 6-string version now, as a regular production model.
    He should check out Wilde pickups. The L500 can be built in four different models, from 3 Henries up, for under $100
    a pickup, including tax and shipping, directly from the manufacturer. IME, very fast delivery too. You can even text message the builder! Crazy.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-13-2020, 07:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Is there a “rails” bridge other than a Dimebucker that would look right with the smaller rails and still give classic tones?
    I absolutely love my El Diablo. Although, it's not "thin" rails. Everyone, including the website, calls it super hot. It doesn't strike me that way at all. I hear it as surprisingly well balanced, both in output and frequency response. The Custom Shop also has the "thin-rail" Jupiter. But I haven't heard one of those.

Oops. Just noticed the Jupiter is for 7-string.

And . . . I back-pedal again. There's a 6-string version now, as a regular production model.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-13-2020, 05:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    The most frustrating aspect of the whole project? Such a thing as an open framed black stereo jack does not appear to exist.
    I’ve noticed that... I’m contemplating what to do if I go active.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Ah, ok! A lot of consensus...

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Post #9. Sung to the tune of "Revolution #9."
    Ah, ok! A lot of consensus...

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Wait, which is #9? Dystrust’s tele?
    Post #9. Sung to the tune of "Revolution #9."

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Looks fun! Is that an original Kahler and EMG SAs?
    No, not original. It was a '50s vintage style Japanese Strat when it was new. I got it with a black guard, EMGs, and a stripped and oiled neck. Played it that way for a good number of years. Converted back to '50s style, and kept it that way for a number of years. Neck suffered both water damage and the truss rod became un-anchored. It sat. Dug the old rod out and fabricated a new one. At that time, I decided to go with something like the vibe you are thinking about – '80s style mods – since it is pretty true to the actual era of the guitar, and the way some kid might have modded it back then. Tracked down an '80s Kahler pulled from a Jackson (IIRC), refurbished and installed that. Got a new guard (the old one was the same color, but ugly as hell from wear). Put the EMGs back in. Designed a new wiring scheme using all new pots, jack, and switch. Black jack plate. Black Hipshots. Black nut. Still working on the neck (needs a re-fret too). I have an Allparts neck on it for the time being.

The most frustrating aspect of the whole project? Such a thing as an open framed black stereo jack does not appear to exist.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-08-2020, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    Looks good to me.

Here's what I'm doing to my first guitar, an '85 MIJ '50s Strat. Working on the one-piece maple neck right now. Black nut and black Hipshot lockers. Kind of similar to the aesthetic you are sketching out, but without the saturated color.

EMGs, V/T/T/T controls, 18V (battery holders in former trem claw cavity). The EMGs came in the guitar when I first got it 30 years ago. They came out for some time, but they're back in as part of the current revamp-in-progress.

That weird extra hole in the body has been in there since I got it. The previous owner "blocked" the vibrato by putting in two pan-head screws overhanging the top of the vibrato plate. D'oh!

Click image for larger version Name:	16531988388_15da1240ac_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	6008051
    Looks fun! Is that an original Kahler and EMG SAs?

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    #9, #9, #9 . . .
    Wait, which is #9? Dystrust’s tele?

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Looks good to me.

Here's what I'm doing to my first guitar, an '85 MIJ '50s Strat. Working on the one-piece maple neck right now. Black nut and black Hipshot lockers. Kind of similar to the aesthetic you are sketching out, but without the saturated color.

EMGs, V/T/T/T controls, 18V (battery holders in former trem claw cavity). The EMGs came in the guitar when I first got it 30 years ago. They came out for some time, but they're back in as part of the current revamp-in-progress.

That weird extra hole in the body has been in there since I got it. The previous owner "blocked" the vibrato by putting in two pan-head screws overhanging the top of the vibrato plate. D'oh!

Click image for larger version  Name:	16531988388_15da1240ac_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	6008051
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-08-2020, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X