banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take you to tune a Floyd Rose or floating tremolo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I have 4 trem equipped guitars. 3 are routed to float and one is decked.
    All of my floaters are blocked.
    For my needs I need to be able to install a D-tuna or else I’d need to tune a guitar to drop d and another for standard. For a cover band situation it’s not impossible but it’s not as practical as I’d like it to be.
    If I need to I just drop to D between songs on the same guitar. Did that for years.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      I can't stand floating trems. You have to find that tension balance between the strings and the springs to get it right. Sometimes it's quick sometimes it takes longer. My one Floyd equipped guitar is decked and if I end up with another one, it'll be decked or blocked for dive only.
      I agree. I'm WWAAAYYY to lazy to work on mine so that guitar is a wall decoration. I'll take a Toon-O-Matic any day!

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 76 View Post

I agree. I'm WWAAAYYY to lazy to work on mine so that guitar is a wall decoration. I'll take a Toon-O-Matic any day!
        Tune-O-Matic or a 6-screw trem decked with 4 springs. My Baretta is about to be hung on the wall. Gonna make a nice board for the hanger to be on.

Comment

While this is my only Floyd equipped axe, I'm surprised by how well it's staying in tune now that I have it set up properly, with the springs I like. And that's with the three little string clamps missing from the lock nut.

Comment

Yeah, once you “get it” done the tuning is pretty much rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              While this is my only Floyd equipped axe, I'm surprised by how well it's staying in tune now that I have it set up properly, with the springs I like. And that's with the three little string clamps missing from the lock nut.
              Yeah, even if its not locked, it will stay in tune well as long as you dont use the trem.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Tune-O-Matic or a 6-screw trem decked with 4 springs. My Baretta is about to be hung on the wall. Gonna make a nice board for the hanger to be on.
                For me, Tune-O-Matic all the way!

Though I have a 6-screw trem on my Fender squire; there is a metal piece on the back that's busted and it's currently not playable. That one is also a wall decoration at the moment lol

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                  Yeah, even if its not locked, it will stay in tune well as long as you dont use the trem.
                  I did a little, but granted, not much.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    While this is my only Floyd equipped axe . . .
                    Oops. Forgot all about my lil ole MIJ Warlock. But it's "Floyd" isn't the quality of the Ibby Edge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Warlock-02.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	6013986

Comment

• Floyds stay in tune really well when they’re set up properly. Most non-locking trems will do fine as well, again, set up properly.

If I use the bar on a decked trem, it won’t stay in tune. If it’s floating, I’ve lubed all the friction points, have minimal wraps of string on the post, it works really well.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                      X