NGD: Classic Vibe '60s Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Classic Vibe '60s Strat

So, it's a Squier Classic Vibe '60s Strat. I was expecting one of the brand new Indonesian-made ones but much to my surprise it ended up being a Chinese-made one. I'm thinking that it's a mix of leftover parts from the first generation CVs (for the body that wood color in the screw holes in the last pic looks more alder than nato to my eye and the neck has a lam board rather than a slab board) and the electronics are the new version.T he pickups seem to be the new Fender-designed Alnico pickups with the weird stagger instead of the older STA5s that were made on the same assembly line and to the same spec as Toneriders. I think that is the one change from 1st gen to 2nd gen that really made these guitars not quite the "gig out of the box" machines that they once were. The 1st gen got different pickups per era and were just better while these are kind of a compromise all around for every era and are brighter than I'd like.

I ran it through my modded Jet City Amelia (just did the Blackface mod on the clean channel and it's GLORIOUS) and it sounds alright. I've already got a set of Fender Pure Vintage '65s waiting for it once I get the mint pickguard I ordered.

The neck is nice and round but clearly not jumbo, so it's nice and comfortable. The Indian Laurel fretboard was the one thing I was worried about but that feels and looks nice to me. The fretwork is pretty good with zero dead spots or high frets and no sharp ends.

Let's say I'm happy with my purchase and the wife didn't kill me.
    Nope...

Love that blue. Looks great. So, the Chinese can do decent work.

Comment

Congrats. That looks gorgeous for the price. Very cool that it has the round-lam board – or does it just look like it in the photos? A wide-bevel guard would send it over the top.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-23-2020, 05:23 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Great color, and I bet it sounds great. Congrats!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Love that blue. Looks great. So, the Chinese can do decent work.
          A lot of people are actually super worried about the move from China to Indonesia because China has done such excellent work with this model. The only problem with the 2019+ models is the pickups, since they're not using the STA3's on the '60s and STA5's on the '50s (which were basically ToneRiders) anymore and instead went with a generic "Fender-designed" pickup for the '50s, '60s, and '70s models. I've got some Fender Pure Vintage '65s that are going into it once the '62RI mint guard I ordered shows up.

Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            Congrats. That looks gorgeous for the price. Very cool that it has the round-lam board – or does it just look like it in the photos? A wide-bevel guard would send it over the top.
            It is indeed a round-lam board made of Indian Laurel. The Laurel was my biggest worry but it's actually super nice feeling!
            Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post

It is indeed a round-lam board made of Indian Laurel. The Laurel was my biggest worry but it's actually super nice feeling!
              Just recently got my first guitar with a laurel fretboard. Good looking piece of wood, and feels fine. I prefer it to Pau Ferro in terms of looks.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                A lot of people are actually super worried about the move from China to Indonesia because China has done such excellent work with this model.
                I suppose it could be hit or miss. I've got a couple of Indonesian guitars that are fine in workmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I suppose it could be hit or miss. I've got a couple of Indonesian guitars that are fine in workmanship.
                  Well, one thing I've learned when I used to be the buyer for a shop is that the quality and QA consistency of an item made anywhere is really up to the direction and investment of whoever specs it out. If you tell the factory to make cheap garbage, they'll make cheap garbage. If you tell them to make an inexpensive quality item and keep an eye on the QA, they will. If you tell them to make the insane Eastman stuff that kills the Gibson Custom Shop, they will.
                  Nope...

Comment

I like it. LPB is one of my favorite Fender colors. Just love the Strat in that color. A lot of makers are going Laurel instead of Rosewood for fretboards. It's a nice option. Looks like you got a solid instrument.

Comment

I know the newer ones aren't being regarded as highly, but I've always been really impressed with the CV series. At least you got the MIC neck, which I hear is a little nicer overall.

Great, classic color. A little Gerlitz Guitar Honey on that fretboard and you'll have it looking top notch!

Comment

awesome! i love the CV series...i have a CV 60s tele custom that i modded out and it KILLS!
                        Quality riffs in about a minute...
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

So, I did some upgrades. Callaham MIM block and '64 length virtual pop-in arm, Fender Pure Vintage '65 pickups, and a Fender '62RI mint pickguard. Set the trem up to be a bit wigglier (not not floating), set it up with some D'Addario 9s, and the thing plays like a dream, resonates so much I feel it in my guts, and looks damn sweet.

Nope...

Comment

The mint guard looks fantastic! When you feel it resonate like that, you know you have a good hunk of wood and a good build.

Comment

What a great color combination.

That looks really classy and fun, and I'll second - when a guitar resonates like that you know you've got one you'll love to pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X