Looking For Quality Condenser Multi Pattern Mic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Quality Condenser Multi Pattern Mic

Good day all~ After a 10 yr hiatus & liquidation of everything, I'm getting back into it with the Tascam Model 24... So far I have an Equitek E100 for electric guitar, but for recording my custom 12 string acoustic, (& single micing a 6 string on omni), thinking I'd put a larger diaphragm mic capable of an omni pattern on the sound hole, & put the E100 on the neck. Anything exceptional for $200 250 or less,,, if something sticks out for a little more, I'll live. Thanks all & best of health~

I recently got an MXL 990 that sounds great. Especially for the money. ($70-ish) But it is cardioid. I prefer that for acoustic, but it may not suit your needs.

Get the guaranteed best price on Condenser Microphones like the MXL 990 Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone With Shockmount at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of...

Comment

im sure someone will chime in with a better suggestion but i have a pair of akg perception 400 mics that sound decent and i got em cheap. i have the mxl990 too and the akg sound better and have multiple polar patterns, a bass roll off and pad switch. the mxl is a fine mic for what it is, i have the 991 as well and, again, its good for what it is

Comment

Hi all,,, I've found several great mics under $300
        Any thoughts on these for the soundhole on 12 string, single mixing a 6 string, & possibly some vox?
        RODE NT2-A & (RM2 clip)
        AUDIO TECHNICA AT2050
        CAD M179
        CAD E300S

Again, many thanks.
        Kenny

Comment

how do you like the 24? Thinking of getting the 16
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I'm with Jeremy...AKG for good sound + good price (especially used) + multiple patterns.

That said, the budget Audio Technica AT2020, while cardioid, records acoustic guitar wonderfully, just an FYI.

Comment

Rode makes top shelf stuff affordable.

Though whatever the brand, I would use small diaphragm for acoustic to catch all the detail. Large diaphragms have a slightly longer settling time and can be murky in some of the note and string details. You hear the difference more when playing chords, IME

Comment

WATTAGE,, don't have it yet, but it'll def be the 24~

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  Rode makes top shelf stuff affordable.

Though whatever the brand, I would use small diaphragm for acoustic to catch all the detail. Large diaphragms have a slightly longer settling time and can be murky in some of the note and string details. You hear the difference more when playing chords, IME
                  Always wondered what the difference was between large and small diaphragm.
                  I've always wanted to try a ribbon especially for acoustic.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    I might use a LDC on an acoustic, but I'd either place it around the 12th fret or near the bridge with a SDC at the 12th fret. Unless we're talking about a parlor guitar or something similarly small, I would expect micing the soundhole to be boomy.

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Always wondered what the difference was between large and small diaphragm.
                    I've always wanted to try a ribbon especially for acoustic.
                    The difference is literally the size of the diaphragm. In terms of the resulting sound, SDCs tend to be brighter with excellent detail and clarity in the high end.

Ribbons tend to have rolled-off highs, so it's probably not the best choice as the only mic on an acoustic. They make excellent room mics, and may also be usable in a M/S config as many ribbons have a figure-8 pattern.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

I might use a LDC on an acoustic, but I'd either place it around the 12th fret or near the bridge with a SDC at the 12th fret. Unless we're talking about a parlor guitar or something similarly small, I would expect micing the soundhole to be boomy.

The difference is literally the size of the diaphragm. In terms of the resulting sound, SDCs tend to be brighter with excellent detail and clarity in the high end.

Ribbons tend to have rolled-off highs, so it's probably not the best choice as the only mic on an acoustic. They make excellent room mics, and may also be usable in a M/S config as many ribbons have a figure-8 pattern.
                      Yeah, I’ve used LDC on acoustic also because they do have “a sound” and “a vibe” to them. The deciding factor for me is: is it the main instrument (SDC), or is it more background/accompaniment/part of the band (LDC)?

Comment

I have several good condenser mics laying around, the one I like most and use for recording acoustic guitar is a Rode NT1. Never used the NT2 but imo it very tough to go wrong with Rode for the price. another option you can consider that i don't see on your list is the AKG P420

If you're looking for the best acoustic guitar mic, look no further! I have tested dozens of mics and reviewed all of my favorites here.

Comment

Working...
                        X