No announcement yet.

What are your favorite strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elixir Nanowebs for guitar and bass. I have been an Elixir man for a decade now. I was all about DR strings before that. In the early days I used Ernie Ball Super Slinkys.
    Soundcloud

Comment

Switched to 10-46 Cleartone on all of my six strings. Seven strings are 10-59 D'Addario. No particular reason, I just can't seem to find that gauge from Cleartone here. Two things are banned though: EB and Elixir. EB gave me the worst ever experiences I had with strings (be it Slinkys or Paradigm). As for Elixir, I've yet to play a set that doesn't flake under my pick. Last time I tried they felt good under my hands, so props where it is due, but when they started to flake I got so annoyed that I decided that into the doghouse they go to join EB.

Comment

D'addario nickel 011-049's. And Dean Markley Blue Steel 0,11's (for that heavy metal axe, I don't yet own)

-E
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Nexion218: I personally, deeply HATE elixirs myself . They sound like crap, the plastic come flaking off, and they cost twice as much.

My uncle likes them, since he plays his guitar 2 times a year, and they sound "fresh" to him. To me- they NEVER sound as fresh as non-coated strings anyway .

-Erl
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
            Nexion218: I personally, deeply HATE elixirs myself . They sound like crap, the plastic come flaking off, and they cost twice as much.

My uncle likes them, since he plays his guitar 2 times a year, and they sound "fresh" to him. To me- they NEVER sound as fresh as non-coated strings anyway .

-Erl
            I have Elixers on my Taylor and while they do last a long time and sound good enough they never really are as bright and snappy as a standard acoustic bronze set, are they?

Comment

10/46 (D'Addario), 11/48 (Ernie Ball), and 11/52 (D'Addario) for E standard, E flat, and D standard, respectively. But all my guitars are Gibson scale, so.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I have Elixers on my Taylor and while they do last a long time and sound good enough they never really are as bright and snappy as a standard acoustic bronze set, are they?
                To my ears, no; they are never quite as bright and "metallic" as uncoated strings.

there is a slight "plastic" tone to them, that puts me off.

Though, they do sound "fresh" much longer than uncoated strings .

(I think.. your experience may vary) \m/

Comment

11-46 on all my guitars, standard tuning, down tuning, tremolo, non tremolo, Gibson scale, Fender scale, doesn't matter. What matters is the gauge, low price and durability. Used to be Darco cause they were cheap and lasted a lifetime. Now D Addario.

Comment

Curt Mangan for my electric guitars..
                    Martin's for my acoustic.

Comment

I've been using D'Addario XT strings on a few instruments, as they sent them to me for free. I say they work well, but I don't know if they are worth 3x the price of XLs. Here in Florida, after an outside show (like most of them), strings have to be replaced no matter what space-age design they have.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Here in Florida, after an outside show (like most of them), strings have to be replaced no matter what space-age design they have.
                        Mincer, I was wondering about that since I live inland but my wife and I are thinking of moving to the coast...when you live on the coast, but keep your guitar inside, how often are you having to change strings?

Comment

• Thomastik-Infeld Superalloy Electric Guitar Strings are my favorite when I can find them on super deep clearance
                          • GHS Boomers are my go-to strings.
                          • If I find a great deal on a case I will go Ernie Ball or D'Addario. I have a case of Ernie Balls right now I am going through.

Comment

Elixirs for me except one of my basses wears DR flatwounds.

I used to use DR exclusively but then I moved to Florida and I was changing strings all the damn time. Bass strings really add up when they are getting changed weekly and cost $30.00 a set.

The Elixirs felt different at first but I adapted to them and now I really prefer the feel. I also agree somewhat with them not sounding quite as bright as uncoated strings but that's pretty easy to deal with on everything except for unplugged acoustic guitars.

Comment

43 posts later, I wonder, did I mention Dunlop Heavy Core's?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky 12-56.

I used to use a custom D'Addario 11-56 set, but the stock Ernie Ball set is more readily available. I wish it came with a wound third, though. That plain 24 is attrocious.

Comment

Working...
                                X