Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool interviews with Clapton and Green about their Les Paul guitars...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    RE: Freddie King---he used the Goldtop on the early recordings, including some instrumentals and the stuff he did with Smokey Smothers. By the second instrumental album he was using a 345. He probably used the choke position on the Varitone and with the metal fingerpicks he used he got a very trebly tone. This all changed when he got with Shelter and his tone got progressively more distorted and midrangey.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
      RE: Freddie King---he used the Goldtop on the early recordings, including some instrumentals and the stuff he did with Smokey Smothers. By the second instrumental album he was using a 345. He probably used the choke position on the Varitone and with the metal fingerpicks he used he got a very trebly tone. This all changed when he got with Shelter and his tone got progressively more distorted and midrangey.
      Your comments about the goldtop are true I think. But Freddie gets a really thin bright sound on I'm Going Down, which is a Shelter record. I liked his sound on Hideaway. The 1961 single.
      I guess that's the goldtop?


      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

      Comment


      • #18
        I bet that's the goldtop, as was prolly the case with the early vocal tunes. The later instrumentals sound like a 345 with Varitone, not that different. The fingerpicks were a West Side Chicago deal and Eddie Taylor, Jimmy Rogers, and others were using them. That's a big part of the tone.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

          Your comments about the goldtop are true I think. But Freddie gets a really thin bright sound on I'm Going Down, which is a Shelter record. I liked his sound on Hideaway. The 1961 single.
          I guess that's the goldtop?

          Really nice tone on that recording. Has the best of Gibson and some Fender qualities to it. Anyone know what amp he used?
          Originally posted by Demanic
          Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
          Originally posted by GuitarFanatic
          I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
          I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
          I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

            Really nice tone on that recording. Has the best of Gibson and some Fender qualities to it. Anyone know what amp he used?
            An early P90 goldtop had pretty low wind pickups. Add in metal fingerpicks and it's gonna be pretty bright. I've seen early 60s pix of him with a brown Concert, but who knows what he used in the studio.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by SoPhx View Post

              An early P90 goldtop had pretty low wind pickups. Add in metal fingerpicks and it's gonna be pretty bright. I've seen early 60s pix of him with a brown Concert, but who knows what he used in the studio.
              The recording is from 1961 so probably something brown or tweed.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

              Comment


              • #22
                If you're interested, there is a compilation of Smokey Smothers stuff with Freddie playing all the solos that predates his solo career. You can hear all his pet licks coming together. He was a bona fide Chicago player in the beginning.

                Comment

                Working...
                X