Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar Guitars

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Country of Origin is definitely a thing of the past. Guitars are built to a price-point, regardless of where they are made, and they either use quality parts and get proper quality-controlled or they don't.

    Someone from Indonesia is just as capable of spraying a killer finish, pressing frets, and installing hardware as someone from the U.S. or Japan. We all have hands, eyes, and the ability to be trained in certain skills. There used to be a gap in quality that was largely apparent by country of origin. In the mid-level price segment, that gap has all but closed.

    These Solar guitars are priced competitively, as well. Obviously, these smaller brands (Chapman, Solar, etc) suffer from a mature distribution network, but that's all the more reason to support them, if you ask me.

    Comment


    • #17
      It's not the build quality that matters, it's the price. As labor cost in Indonesia is lower than that in the US, guitar makers make a lot FATTER profit margin from any guitar than they would, if the guitars were made in the USA.

      For the same reason I am not paying 1000 dollars for an Ibanez Premium. Add 200 hundred dollars more I can get a brand new MIJ Prestige, the real deal.

      Comment


      • #18
        Cheapest new Prestige I see is $1500.

        Not saying they’re the same guitar or quality, but that it’s a 50% increase.
        "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And itís the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
          It's not the build quality that matters, it's the price. As labor cost in Indonesia is lower than that in the US, guitar makers make a lot FATTER profit margin from any guitar than they would, if the guitars were made in the USA.

          For the same reason I am not paying 1000 dollars for an Ibanez Premium. Add 200 hundred dollars more I can get a brand new MIJ Prestige, the real deal.
          The hole in your argument is right in front of you...the Premium is $200 less because it doesn't cost as much to make. That doesn't mean it's "20% less of a guitar"!

          Furthermore, where are you seeing "new" Prestige models for $1200? I think you'll find Premiums are $1000-$1300 and most Prestige models are nearing $2K at this point. That's a HUGE price difference for very little actual difference between guitars in terms of hardware, features, etc. You're paying for the *idea* that one origin is better than another, but that doesn't translate into actual differences in product like it once did.

          Comment


          • #20
            Lots of opinions here, obviously.

            Since nobody really has first hand experience with a Solar, I suppose I’m obligated to get one
            "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And itís the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

            Comment


            • #21
              Besides, would you rather support a faceless corporation or a dude with a family who works his @$$ off and does tongue-in-cheek gear demos in his socks?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

                The hole in your argument is right in front of you...the Premium is $200 less because it doesn't cost as much to make. That doesn't mean it's "20% less of a guitar"!

                Furthermore, where are you seeing "new" Prestige models for $1200? I think you'll find Premiums are $1000-$1300 and most Prestige models are nearing $2K at this point. That's a HUGE price difference for very little actual difference between guitars in terms of hardware, features, etc. You're paying for the *idea* that one origin is better than another, but that doesn't translate into actual differences in product like it once did.
                Meh...you forget that not everyone lives in the US and evidently there are differences in prices between countries. How 'bout that for a hole?

                I never subscribe to the idea that US-made guitars are better from non-western ones (sve that for sixty-year old farts in the forum). After all they are machine not hand made (which would yield inaccuracy and inconsistency, but that's different story). I have Korean and Indonesia guitars that are of equal craftsmanship to Japanese Prestige. The main advantage of a Japanese or US made guitars is the resale/ investment value not quality.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I'll add that I emailed Solar this past Saturday night, asking about a certain model. Got a reply Sunday, within 12 hours.
                  "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And itís the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

                    Meh...you forget that not everyone lives in the US and evidently there are differences in prices between countries. How 'bout that for a hole?

                    I never subscribe to the idea that US-made guitars are better from non-western ones (sve that for sixty-year old farts in the forum). After all they are machine not hand made (which would yield inaccuracy and inconsistency, but that's different story). I have Korean and Indonesia guitars that are of equal craftsmanship to Japanese Prestige. The main advantage of a Japanese or US made guitars is the resale/ investment value not quality.
                    You're changing the goal posts to keep your argument relevant. Your earlier statement was that your issue with these guitars is in the profit margins based on labor costs in the country of origin. No one has mentioned a thing about resale or investment value. Even with those things in mind, the depreciation on a used Prestige is substantial. They aren't "investments" at all.

                    And I haven't forgotten that not everyone lives in the U.S. The reality is that many guitars are more expensive in Europe, Japan, etc. than in the U.S.

                    If you have a link to a "new" $1200-equivalent Prestige in your country of residence, feel free to share. I'm sure someone here would be interested in such a deal!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      If you're concerned about resale value, buying a new guitar is pretty stupid, regardless of brand.
                      "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And itís the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                        They are indonesian 1000 dollar guitars. They uses a 12th fret logo to distinguish themselves. Besides the logo, they are nondescript contract build guitars.

                        while ola is entertaining, I wouldn't want an instrument associated with him. For same reason I wouldn't want a chapman.

                        Also would not want guitar without inlays. Are they decent? Probably just as good as the indonesian ltd's and Ibanez guitars. You want to pay extra for ola's inlay?
                        The only way to avoid buying gear associated with someone else is to build everything yourself.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                          Lots of opinions here, obviously.

                          Since nobody really has first hand experience with a Solar, I suppose I’m obligated to get one
                          Well smart boy, if the excellent quality of my Washburn is any indication, and you don't mind making that goof 800 dollar richer - as opposed to saving yourself 800 dollar by buying guitars made in the same factory as Solar (LTD, Washburn, Schecter) - go for it! Lol...

                          Again, Solar is a based on his previous sig Washburn Solar, so I reckon everything is pretty much the same except the brand name. And he is taking advantage of his You Tube fame so that he can jack up the price.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

                            Well smart boy, if the excellent quality of my Washburn is any indication, and you don't mind making that goof 800 dollar richer - as opposed to saving yourself 800 dollar by buying guitars made in the same factory as Solar (LTD, Washburn, Schecter) - go for it! Lol...

                            Again, Solar is a based on his previous sig Washburn Solar, so I reckon everything is pretty much the same except the brand name. And he is taking advantage of his You Tube fame so that he can jack up the price.
                            Where do I get an LTD, Washburn, or Schecter for $800 cheaper than a Solar?

                            An LTD with an Evertune is $1099, same as a Solar, and no stainless frets. The only Schecter I see with one is $1699, and I don't see Washburn making anything comparable anymore.
                            "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And itís the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

                              Well smart boy, if the excellent quality of my Washburn is any indication, and you don't mind making that goof 800 dollar richer - as opposed to saving yourself 800 dollar by buying guitars made in the same factory as Solar (LTD, Washburn, Schecter) - go for it! Lol...

                              Again, Solar is a based on his previous sig Washburn Solar, so I reckon everything is pretty much the same except the brand name. And he is taking advantage of his You Tube fame so that he can jack up the price.
                              Dude, what is your problem?

                              First, you clearly have issues with basic math. ESP, Washburn, and Schecter don't give their guitars away for free. And new, they really aren't any less expensive than the Solar equivalent. Heck, how much is the lowest cost Ibanez with an Evertune, luminlays and stainless frets? Oh wait...

                              Second, what is your problem with Ola? Did he forget to sign your hoodie at a concert or something? Furthermore, how is supporting a company like Ibanez somehow "better" than supporting a growing company like Solar?

                              Lastly, his pricing is pretty much on-par with the older Washburn/Parallaxe guitars that these are clearly a continuation of. I'm surprised they aren't more expensive than they are given industry price increases over the past 6 years since most of these models were first introduced. Where is this "jacked up price" claim even coming from?

                              You are clearly just here to b**ch and complain.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Please back to the OP.
                                Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X