Jazz strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    In a sense, a Strat is essentially my perfect 'jazz guitar', although for me, I'd like Antiquities or Seth Lovers (Alncio II Pro is a good alternative), 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way toggle, and ideally, a scalloped neck.
    Gonna wire up a Seth or Ant in series with a mini next.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I'm thinking A3 with A5 middle and maybe a treble bleed. But then, I want a more Knofler jazz sound.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah you should go for that. How about A3 neck and five - two middle?!
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          Yeah you should go for that. How about A3 neck and five - two middle?!
          I would, but that's more than I'm willing to spend on this project. First I'm going to see how the others sound. If I don't like the A3's, I'll try A5's in all the slots.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Lipstick bridge and Phat Cat neck in series with a 1 meg volume, spin a split, and phase switch to split to either pup. Came out insane. Perfect combo for a bright sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bright jazz strat.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6026657
            I bought them for you

Comment

Well, that's different! How is it compared to your other creations?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks! In comparision to the others, it's the brightest and most single coiley. With the lipstick selected, 1 meg volume between 8-10, and the spin a split between 0-3, it's very single coiley, detailed and edgey. Other combinations are more warm but still pretty bitey. Very happy with this one. I was thinking of a low wind single coil to go with a Phat Cat tone wise since you don't need very much heat to end up with enough fatness with 2 pups in series. Was thinking about a tele then thought no.. teles are 8k. Then thought duh! Lipstick. The tone character of the 2 pickups go well together. My first time trying the lipstick and it sounds very good. Kind of a cross between a strat and tele.
                Last edited by Clint 55; 11-04-2020, 07:41 AM.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  Lipstick bridge and Phat Cat neck in series with a 1 meg volume, spin a split, and phase switch to split to either pup. Came out insane. Perfect combo for a bright sound.
                  Now THAT one, I love. Cool combo. I might have to steal that. Can you imagine an SHS, with a Lipstick Tube/Phat Cat sandwich?

Comment

Thanks! You should go for it. I'm really impressed with the sound of the lipstick.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Lipstick pickups were always too weak and bright for me.

Comment

Yeah. I never wanted to touch them with a 10 foot pole. It works here because 1. it's the 5k bridge model in the neck, 2. I can select either pup - go to the pc if I want fatter, and 3. I can roll up the spin o split to bring in the pc in series to boost the lipstick.

If I were making a regular strat loaded pickguard for a customer, what I would do is use the bridge model for the neck and middle and make a stag mag out of 2 for the bridge. Maybe a bridge and a neck. Then either a 250k or 100k volume.
                        Last edited by Clint 55; 11-04-2020, 01:43 PM.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Honestly, most people who use them are in love with the looks, and don't really think about the sound. I think you have done something interesting here, so those criticisms don't really apply.

Comment

Thx
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Fralin and Dmz.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201210_034439.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	6037112
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

Are you managing to get decent sounds out of that Micro Cube? Or just using it purely for portability?
                                The JC model is awesome. You can definitely get all kind of great sounds out of it. Not loud, but great for whatever.
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X