Jazz strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    I'm thinking that this is mine. Getting ready to swap the stock ceramics with some A3's and an A5.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
    Nice. I'm assuming you have the pickups picked out. What are you going with?

Comment

Might try an A3 in the neck with A5's in the middle and bridge.

Comment

Are you keeping the natural wood finish? I've always liked that natural light wood look on guitars.

Comment

^ Yes, I'm keeping the bare wood. I like the look of it too. Although I like the looks of color for variety, I've gotten used to the sound of unfinished. I think it makes less of a difference with hollow bodies where the guitar really breathes, the inside isn't finished obviously, and the finish on the outside is usually thinner. But, for these warmoth strats it's less $$ and sounds way better for me, so this is what I'm going to be rolling with for putting pickups in for jazz.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          While I love to play Jazz on a Strat, there really aren't a ton of legit Joe Pass-style players over the years that have chosen a Strat as their guitar. I think that it is time there are some.
          Here here!

Here's the demo. Came out so terrif. It's the mini with the Phat Cat brought in in series half way. It has that nice chime from them being single coil p90s but also some lushness and breakup from them being in series pushing the amp. Just love it. This beast has all my favorite mags for jazz too lol. 2,3,5,6.

Last edited by Clint 55; 10-24-2020, 02:05 AM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            ^ Yes, I'm keeping the bare wood. I like the look of it too. Although I like the looks of color for variety, I've gotten used to the sound of unfinished. I think it makes less of a difference with hollow bodies where the guitar really breathes, the inside isn't finished obviously, and the finish on the outside is usually thinner. But, for these warmoth strats it's less $$ and sounds way better for me, so this is what I'm going to be rolling with for putting pickups in for jazz.

Here here!

Here's the demo. Came out so terrif. It's the mini with the Phat Cat brought in in series half way. It has that nice chime from them being single coil p90s but also some lushness and breakup from them being in series pushing the amp. Just love it. This beast has all my favorite mags for jazz too lol. 2,3,5,6.

Sweet sound

Comment

Thx
              I bought them for you

Comment

I have to hand it to you, Clint. I wouldn't have invested in that level making a Strat as a Jazz axe (I would have just pursued a hollow body Jazz axe and been done with it) but you got it to work in a Strat package. Particularly that you tried 3+ revisions to work it. That's pretty cool research.

Comment

Thanks. I tried using an Epi 335 and LP for jazz around the time after I joined the forum but didn't care as much for the ergonomics. I think I only invested in a pickguard and some strings the first time I tried a jazz strat a little over a year ago. I just used the swimming pool strat and A2P I already had. I ended up liking jazz strats because of the ergonomics, the tone, and they're fun to play. Also the 25.5 scale is good because there's a lot of harmony that you should or at least can play in jazz.

Right now I have 3 warmoth swimming pool strats with a 4th one needing assembly and I decided to just say eff it and use them all to put jazz pickguard set ups in. Rock pickguards are going to have to say goodbye or go in a mustang or something. The 1st one pictured with the flatwounds and 59s is a winner and will stay like that, maybe with a little modification. That P90 one most recently shown is a winner and will stay. The cream mini hum pickguard is also great but is uninstalled right now and I might reinstall it in the last available strat. Or I might try making a pickguard with an Ant hum and a mini hum. I also have a lipstick strat to try with a Phat Cat.

I originally thought I would only end up with 2 max jazz strats - 1 flatwound and 1 roundwound. But after I found out I could put the vintage, PAFy, slightly too thin for legit jazz pickups in series with each other, I'm in hog heaven. I get to enjoy all the nice PAFy, ultra tone rich set ups that I had mostly written off as not really having a place for me in a general playing guitar.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_131200.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	6024443
                    I bought them for you

Comment

In a sense, a Strat is essentially my perfect 'jazz guitar', although for me, I'd like Antiquities or Seth Lovers (Alncio II Pro is a good alternative), 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way toggle, and ideally, a scalloped neck.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Jazz is a state of mind, not a specific guitar you silly gear heads! But that guitar is just, well, just don’t!!!

I mean, if you have the chops to play jazz on that, great. I’m not showing up anywhere in public playing that!!!

Comment

I thought the tone was pretty close to Wes Montgomery's. Nothing that a Gibson L5 and a Twin Reverb couldn't fix!
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by gtrgrl View Post
                            Jazz is a state of mind, not a specific guitar you silly gear heads! But that guitar is just, well, just don’t!!!

I mean, if you have the chops to play jazz on that, great. I’m not showing up anywhere in public playing that!!!
                            Why you no like?!
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by gtrgrl View Post

This is one of the funnier comments that I have read in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                                I thought the tone was pretty close to Wes Montgomery's. Nothing that a Gibson L5 and a Twin Reverb couldn't fix!
                                Hey thx. That's a pretty good compliment. I have a twin reverb, it's in the picture. And I ain't playin no Gibson box.
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X