banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much to buy an eric clapton mid boost kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much to buy an eric clapton mid boost kit?

i've just bought the eric clapton strat. however i found that the preamp built-in was took out by the seller and he said he didn't know where's it, coz he said this guitar was mainly used by his teacher>.<. So should i buy one for it? or just let it...? in fact, without the mid booster, will this guitar become nothing at all?

Re: how much to buy an eric clapton mid boost kit?

Here ya Go.

Browse Google Shopping to find the products you&#8217;re looking for, track & compare prices, and decide where to buy online or in store.

I would buy it. I own 3 Strats 2 are Ec Strats. Mine have the Lace sensors instead of the new ones that have the vintage noiseless PUPS. I prefer the lace sensors. I reall don't use the mid boost much, but the pups are still reacting to the circuit. This guitar even with the mid boost set at 0 has more output than my Les Paul does so I think it does make a difference.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

The Chandler Tone-X kit was pretty cool and does the same kinda thing. I don't know if they're still making them, but it's worth investigating.
      J. 'Moose' Kahrs
      mixer|producer|recordist
      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

How handy are you with electronics? I have a diagram on how to build your own, but it requires soldering and fabricating a circuit board.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Add the features of the Eric Clapton model Strat to any guitar. System replaces one of the original tone controls with a variable "Midrange Boost" control. Mid Boost knob adjusts gain from 0dB (no boost) to 25dB (Killer mids) Great for clean and distortion tones. TBX tone control is neutral in the middle position, cuts treble in one direction and cuts bass in the other direction. Kit includes: circuit board and battery connector, volume control, mid boost control, TBX control and output jack. Kit also includes a origianl Fender 5-way lever switch.

2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
            How handy are you with electronics? I have a diagram on how to build your own, but it requires soldering and fabricating a circuit board.

Ryan
            i don't konw electronics......but one of my friends know, can u send me the diagram?thx

Comment

the preamp is much of the character of that guitar. the preamp has lots to do with how cool that guitar is.
              i have the preamp without the guitar, its one of the best mid boost circuts ive heard. does have a big preamp boost even when the mid boost is off

Comment

I've been wanting to buy one of these mid boost circuits for a long time! I really want an EC strat with the older Lace pickups..... But i never see ones i can afford so i was thinking of modding my American Standard with the Clapton circuit... somewhere i have a mid boost circuit that Stew Mac sells.... Musitech i think it's called..... some guy at a music store found it buried in the back and sold it to me for $4....

Comment

To each his own, and I totally respect other people's opinions about this, but in my opinion Eric Clapton's tone went straight down the toilet when he started using the Lace Sensors and the active mid-boost. I think the primary blame lies with the mid-boost, as I had the Lace Sensors in my old Strat Plus, and while I didn't love them and ended up replacing them with Duncans, the sound wasn't that bad and not near as bad as the neo-Clapton tone. As I've pointed out before, listen to the studio version of "Old Love" from Journeyman and check out the difference in EC and Robert Cray's tone. Once again, it's just my opinion, and I respect differing ones, but I think the seller did you a favor by taking it out!

Comment

I was playing a Powerhousestrat the other day. It has a 12db mid boost circuit. I normally don't like singles, but the tone was GODLY.... I can't wait for my Jackson JE-1200 to arrive!

THe guitarelectronics one looks pretty good, I've read their site about it... I say add it...

People who take this stuff out usually just don't undertand how it's to be used....

my 2 cents...
                    www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

i use my mid boost with a set of texas hots and it a great sound. i was worried about the noise from a single coil with the preamp but its not bad at all. the preamp does color the tone some but with good sounding pups, it can be a real asset

Comment

I'd like to use a mid-boost preamp in my Legacy, but I'm concerned about the noise issue with single coils. I guess ensuring the sheilding is top notch will help. Jeremy, when you say the noise is "not bad at all", how bad is it?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          i use my mid boost with a set of texas hots and it a great sound. i was worried about the noise from a single coil with the preamp but its not bad at all. the preamp does color the tone some but with good sounding pups, it can be a real asset
                          That's interesting, because I have three guitars with the EC MidBoost:

1) G&L legacy special with SSL-5's
                          2) Fender Stratocaster with SSL-1's (Here how clear it is on Celtic Amplifiers - Edana - The Layla piano solo but played with a guitar)
                          3) Fender Stratocaster with Don Mare pups (Best combo)

None of these pups are weak on their own and none are active.

Each time I play one of these guitars - other guitar players ask me what pups and how do you get that tone?

Love to crack heads, not just cut them...

On the TBX I use a 220K instead of the 82K resistor.
                          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

the mid-boost circuits just haven't really done it for me, the color they add to the tone is just not what I like... I say leave it without the boost just play the heck out of it, and when you need to get a boost kick on a good OD pedal...
                            "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRocker View Post
                              To each his own, and I totally respect other people's opinions about this, but in my opinion Eric Clapton's tone went straight down the toilet when he started using the Lace Sensors and the active mid-boost. I think the primary blame lies with the mid-boost, as I had the Lace Sensors in my old Strat Plus, and while I didn't love them and ended up replacing them with Duncans, the sound wasn't that bad and not near as bad as the neo-Clapton tone. As I've pointed out before, listen to the studio version of "Old Love" from Journeyman and check out the difference in EC and Robert Cray's tone. Once again, it's just my opinion, and I respect differing ones, but I think the seller did you a favor by taking it out!
                              +1
                              maybe you need a nice a5 strat sc set (like ssl-1's) and a good booster pedal to make them sound fuller and dirtier without loosing the strat character - DOD250, BSM, OCD, TS808...You loose all the character (and tone imo) with the ec preamp...

Comment

Working...
                              X