banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much to buy an eric clapton mid boost kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how much to buy an eric clapton mid boost kit?

I have an EC Strat and love it. You have to know how to use the mid boost and how it works with the TBX. It's all personal preference whether you like it or not.

They're a pain to wire up from the kit though. I'd first try to track down a pre wired kit off ebay before trying to wire it from the kit- it took me 1 1/2 days to wire it and get it to work. Once I did it was worth it, but you have to be very patient.

Comment

Is this the same thing that was in the Buddy Guy? I had one of those and that thing was ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
        Is this the same thing that was in the Buddy Guy? I had one of those and that thing was ridiculous.
        Yes, if you're talking about the USA made signature Buddy Guy. It had gold Lace Sensors, the same 25 db Clapton Mid boost, and an ash, instead of alder body

Comment

I've signed up to this forum specifically to say what a massive difference fitting the TBX circuit has made to the tone of my Strat (which has the old-style staggered magnets) - but also to mention how much work it took me to fit it.

First the good news: even if you don't touch the two new controls, the basic tone is 'Strattier', livelier and more transparent. I'd consider the mod good value if that's all it did but the mid boost and T/B tone controls are great too. There's a lot of power and contrast on tap though, so these are not 'turn them on full for best results' controls.

The bad news: it took me three days off-and-on to fit this circuit to my satisfaction. The supplied instructions were not at all helpful, so I'd suggest you to go to http://areyouexperienced.net/fender_..._boost_kit.htm before you get started. Trust the instructions you find there - they worked for me.

I had to make a physical rout in the control cavity to avoid snipping the end off the TBX circuit board and another in the trem cavity to house the battery.

Great results in the end though. I love the 'Dire Straits on steroids' tones, as well as the ability to push my amp into more powerful, driven tones from the guitar alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ericme View Post
            i've just bought the eric clapton strat. however i found that the preamp built-in was took out by the seller and he said he didn't know where's it, coz he said this guitar was mainly used by his teacher>.<. So should i buy one for it? or just let it...? in fact, without the mid booster, will this guitar become nothing at all?
            I just got one from Wymore for $45 after the discount

Comment

It took me 3 days to wire mine up, and even with the wiring diagrams from Fender and Guitarelectronics.com, I couldn't get it to work right...

Eventually I picked up a Clapton strat used and used that to copy the wiring correctly, and it's great.

Comment

Working...
              X