$1200 available for 1 guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1200 available for 1 guitar

Selling off excess gear (a few lower cost guitars, amps, etc) and will have a little over $1000 -$1200 for 1 nicer guitar. Used of course. Was looking at the PRS S2 line. I have a USA Strat and a nice SG. Open to anything else. Ive owned everything but a PRS in my past... so curious.

Like to stay in USA-made territory.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

All three would be a great option, depending on what you wanted. If one of the S2 PRS’ are calling your name I’d go that route.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you're patient, and would be willing to go with a MIM Strat, you could have that and an S2 for $1200.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Hmm $1500 gets the new PRS SE Hollowbody Piezo
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Quick thoughts: with a $1200 budget, USA-Made PRS might be tough to find for specific models, even the S2 series used.

However, the newer PRS SE/S2 models are still fantastic instruments, but the American-made Core models are on a whole other level (which is part of the reason most of them are $2K+, even used).

This being said, I was still able to find a lot of S2 models on reverb for sale in that price range, but I personally do not have any experience with any of those.

Funny thing is I used to not care for PRS guitars at all, but my only experience with them was an old SE that wasn't set up properly lol. Now one of my favorite guitars is a Core McCarty.

Comment

To clarify, i already have a US strat and SG so looking to pick up something to compliment them.

-=The Dali

Comment

But... i hadn’t thought of the charvel option, which i like ... i might have enough to squeeze 2 out if the budget..,

-=The Dali

Comment

Still looking at options.

Might look for a Gibson studio Goldtop.

Also looking at carvin... and I’ve seen some really attractive Godin options.

-=The Dali

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                  Still looking at options.

Might look for a Gibson studio Goldtop.

Also looking at carvin... and I’ve seen some really attractive Godin options.

custom guitar from Keisel would be awesome
                  careful with the options though it adds up quick

the thinner neck option makes for a shredder neck

I was looking for one with a Piezo option in that range
                  the PRS SE Hollowbody Piezo clicked the boxes
                  but the neck being thicker and wider at the nut just arent what I want

for me
                  the ESP SC1000 Piezo
                  has the 42 mm nut width and the Skinny shredder neck I like
                  as well as duncan pickups stock
                  for $1149 list
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'd get a classic of some kind. Or a future classic while it's still affordable. Maybe an Ernie Ball Axis? Same guitar as the EVH model. Great guitar. Great pickups. Floyd Rose. Looks cool. And designed by Ed. Mine has a push/pull volume control that the previous owner installed. Those pickups split into single coils better than any humbuckers I've ever owned.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

With $1200, I'd look for a good used Les Paul Standard (add in some more $$$ for it), or possibly a nice Charvel, or an EVH Striped Series in Black and White scheme (would definitely need to add extra $$$).

Comment

G&L make excellent quality guitars for at amazing price points.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                          I'd get a classic of some kind. Or a future classic while it's still affordable. Maybe an Ernie Ball Axis? Same guitar as the EVH model. Great guitar. Great pickups. Floyd Rose. Looks cool. And designed by Ed. Mine has a push/pull volume control that the previous owner installed. Those pickups split into single coils better than any humbuckers I've ever owned.
                          Holee Guacamole! Those guitars aren't going for the $1200 I paid for mine anymore! Way over $2500 and more now. Better start taking better care of mine.
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Holee Guacamole! Those guitars aren't going for the $1200 I paid for mine anymore! Way over $2500 and more now. Better start taking better care of mine.
                            Yup. Prices went way up long time ago. When it was the EVH model, it was $1299.00 new. I should've gotten one then.
                            Last edited by ErikH; 12-07-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

In terms of USA-made, the PRS S2 line is solid for newer production. From first hand experience, I think the newer S2 Singlecut with the Core-series intonatable fixed bridge is the sweet spot in the line in terms of features and looks for the price. Used CE models are also an option in that range and every one I've played has been great.

A used G&L or Carvin is always a safe bet. You could also grab a newer Kiesel in that price range if you look around.

If you get along with the style of Ernie Balls, older ones tend to fall within that range and are almost always stellar.

Lastly, take a look at used Washburns. Their body styles aren't for everyone, but you can often find great USA Custom Shop models on the used market for under a grand.

Comment

Working...
                              X