Suggestions for custom body and neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for custom body and neck?

Hoping this is the right place to ask...

I'd like to try a custom guitar build, and I'm fairly comfortable with most aspects of it, but I lack the space, tools, and skill to really carve a guitar body and neck from scratch. I do feel comfortable with everything beyond that point. So I went out looking at some kit guitars and some of them offer custom options - different woods, different neck profiles, etc. - and the option to buy only those parts (body and neck) and purchase all other hardware separately which is what I'd like to do.

My issue is this - it kinda feels like if you don't want a strat, tele, or LP body style, there aren't a whole lot of options for this path to building a guitar. I don't want anything crazy, but I would like something in more of an RG or S-series from Ibanez style body (or any of the various clones of those) and it seems like only a handful of places offer kits like that, and fewer still are willing to actually let you customize the parts and not just sell you a stock kit off the shelf. I'm currently talking to BYOGuitar but it's been not the best experience, not "bad" I'm just not feeling super great about it and wanted to shop around some more, but I'm just not finding anywhere else that ticks all the boxes. Does anyone here have suggestions for a place that's willing to do a custom neck/body carve and has options outside of strat/tele/LP styles? Price isn't really an issue, I'm happy to pay for what I want, I just need to find someone willing to take my money :-)

Thanks!

For Ibanez style bodies, your best option is Perle Guitars: http://www.perleguitars.com/6-string-bodies/

Also, you're best off buying a used neck on eBay. This is particularly easy with Ibanez and the Perle bodies are meant to be used with Ibanez parts.

Curious, though...if price isn't an issue, have you thought about Warmoth for something cool and custom?

Comment

Warmoth.com has some nice bodies like their Z Body that would be your mid-priced option for a funky body. If money is not an option call someone like Falbo Guitars and they will build you anything you want for the right price.

Falbo Guitars is a division of Falbo Designs, a company founded on the notion that the best products exist where innovation and practicality meet.

Comment

Warmoth offers SGish bodies:
        https://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Type=10&Path=Diamondba ck

Click image for larger version  Name:	M1141a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.2 KB ID:	6035076

EDIT - d'oh . . . sorry, I read SG instead of RG in the OP. Warmoth doesn't offer an RG style body.
        Last edited by GuitarStv; 12-04-2020, 12:40 PM.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If you want something different, kind of semi-custom check out Balaguer. I wonder if they’d offer to send you the pieces instead of finishing it.

www.balaguerguitars.com

Of course there are a few members here who will build you a completely custom instrument as well, maybe they would do parts also?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            For Ibanez style bodies, your best option is Perle Guitars: http://www.perleguitars.com/6-string-bodies/

Also, you're best off buying a used neck on eBay. This is particularly easy with Ibanez and the Perle bodies are meant to be used with Ibanez parts.

Curious, though...if price isn't an issue, have you thought about Warmoth for something cool and custom?
            Thanks for the link! They definitely have options along the lines of what I want.

I have looked at Warmoth and they have quite a few options, the soloist especially is close to what I want. And they are definitely on the list. That being said - while cost isn't really an issue (I'm not gonna cry over a few hundred dollar difference if it's really the best option or I simply have no other choice) that doesn't mean I want to throw money away if a better option can be found. Willing to spend, but I like to do my homework first if that makes sense?

Also, at the moment BYO has the closest to what I want, the soloist body is 2nd. Beyond that, I haven't found many other options but Perle will definitely be one I dig into, thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              If you want something different, kind of semi-custom check out Balaguer. I wonder if they’d offer to send you the pieces instead of finishing it.

www.balaguerguitars.com

Of course there are a few members here who will build you a completely custom instrument as well, maybe they would do parts also?
              I had looked at them as well and yeah, wasn't sure I just get the parts unfinished, so I moved on. If other options fall through I will try and contact them to see if something can be worked out.

Comment

As much as I love single cut design
                I find the upper horn to be required if you want it to balance properly

EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Certainly keep an eye on the showcase at Warmoth. Sometimes they have one-off body shapes in cool finishes. But even something like their Soloist is available in a crazy amount of options. Wood type, routing, etc. I've only had great experiences with them.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Certainly keep an eye on the showcase at Warmoth. Sometimes they have one-off body shapes in cool finishes. But even something like their Soloist is available in a crazy amount of options. Wood type, routing, etc. I've only had great experiences with them.
                    Thanks Mincer! Good to know. I will probably be reaching out as things seem to have stalled for the moment with BYO. I'll be looking at Perle, and Warmoth this week/end. Did you just contact them directly or just pure web transaction for the thing you wanted?

Comment

I asked questions via email first, and they pointed to what they had, and what they can build. Their forum is a wonderful source of info, too.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X