banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kiesel is dropping the Iconic traditioal DC Super strat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    OP you seem to be super, super deeply emotionally invested in the company. It's just business, Kiesel is doing what he thinks he has to do for the company's future.

At the end of the day it's just wood and wires. Move the f on. It's been 30 years since you first played Carvin. Nothing that it does any Asian knockoff cannot do.
    Actually, there is at least 1 other person in this thread defending them, Maybe they work for Kiesel? If they do, that's cool, we welcome all here. But they should identify if they do.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm still curious about what is going on with the body dimensions of dc600 vs aries neck-thru.

I'm guessing the body specs on the dc600 page are not current because they are larger than that of the aries, and to my eyes the current dc600 and aries are the same size.
      Maybe the dc600 is not the same body size as the Aries, but if it is they need to get the specs changed on the page. 2018 until now is a long time to not update the page, not to mention the picture of the dc600 on the "guitars" page is not current either. It shows the old body dc600. That is exactly the kind of sloppiness that leads to confusion on orders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Actually, there is at least 1 other person in this thread defending them, Maybe they work for Kiesel? If they do, that's cool, we welcome all here. But they should identify if they do.
        If NecroJoe is who I think he is, he's a regular poster on the Kiesel forums and certainly a fan of the brand, but not an employee.

(I've also done some defending in this thread, and I can say with certainty that I'm not a Kiesel employee.)

Comment

That's cool. Like I said, I don't mind employees of other companies here, but we like them to identify themselves if clearing up questions about the brand.

Comment

I am not defending Kiesel and not an employee. I think he's overreacting. It's not that his freakin' grandmother founded the company or he sits on the board as a major shareholder.

Comment

Again, that's cool. Carvins, and now Kiesels aren't for everyone. They have some pretty intense fans, and people either really like Jeff or can't stand him, so the company gets some pretty passionate reactions.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                OP you seem to be super, super deeply emotionally invested in the company. It's just business, Kiesel is doing what he thinks he has to do for the company's future.
                Some merit to that as still have long term relationships with many from the old Carvinite Southeastern bashes. These events were where many of us from several States would get together hang out over a weekend to jam check out each others stuff break bread ect. Had the same sales rep for many years and we were friends. For many of us it was more than just a normal company. Was in the middle of the religion wars where all the Praise and Worship and other Christian artist suddenly got the left foot of fellowship on the forum when forum leadership changed. So there is a lot of history over the 40 or so years I have been around the company. Things like mid 90's hanging out with Mike Amos and Neil Zaza me playing his neck through Spiderman graphic Hamer Californian and Neil checking out my 89 Sapphire Flame DC 200 in a buddies shop. Lot of history here.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Just to summarize my own stance; ( and btw I own and have ever only owned 2, a dc125 and st300, both with black Carvin logo and custom ordered by me 2012-2014 right around the change)

1. Good or possibly needed move on their part to cut the dc127? Probably is. Efficiency is key to keeping base prices low enough to compete in today's market.

2. Do I like that they are ditching the dc127? No!!!, because it looks awesome with the fully rounded edges and is somewhat unique these days in terms of the combination of 25", neck-thru, OFR, and rounded body option.

edit;
                  If or when in the future I do order another , it would be the new dc600 with that added small contoured bevel. Now that looks perfect. I'm fine with 25.5".
                  The only thing I don't like about the current dc600 is the direct-mount pickups. They do look great, and I do know how to install different models and make them adjustable through the right height area(sweet spot),,,,,,,,,,,but I still find ring-mount to be my preference, ugly or not I don't care.
                  Last edited by dave74; 01-05-2021, 02:42 AM.

Comment

If anyone complains, their reply will be "OK Boomer". And it will get hundreds of likes. And then Kiesel will post a pic of himself flexing.

Thats how its done now. Best to just not say anything and find another brand.

I remember the late 80s. Carvins (good or bad) were the weird knock off mail order guitars. There is no past to romanticize here.
                    Last edited by Top-L; 01-05-2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I will say that their 80s solid walnut bodies were among the heaviest guitars I've ever played. And as a kid I wanted a V220. Until I played one.

Comment

I will say that their 80s solid walnut bodies were among the heaviest guitars I've ever played. And as a kid I wanted a V220. Until I played one.
                        I was young when guitar magazines were still a thing. I didn't know jack ****.

I remember seeing the Carvin ads and thinking those were the kinds of guitars you would see in wedding bands, or that if you wanted to rock one you had to have a degree from Berklee. I never understood the double pole pickups. No one claimed to like them, why didn't they put "normal" pickups in there?

Then Vai started endorsing their stuff so they gained some "credibility" in my eyes. But I wasn't a huge Vai fan. And it smelled like a cash grab. (Couldn't he get more money from Marshall?)

Back then, people used to go to music stores and try out guitars so the whole mail order thing was 30+ years ahead of its time. Why would you buy something in the mail if you could plunk down the cash at a LMS?

That was my perception of them.

Comment

I'm bummed they stopped offering Piezo pickups on the builder
                          but I would think that its still an option if I have the money to pay for it
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                            I never understood the double pole pickups. No one claimed to like them, why didn't they put "normal" pickups in there?
                            Frank Zappa is nobody? He replaced the pups in his Les Pauls with Carvin M22s.

I absolutely *love* the M22SD; it might be my favorite bridge pickup ever. It's almost like a hotter, slightly less dry Pegasus, or almost like what would happen if a Pegasus and an Invader had kids. Really tight on the attack, and nicely articulate, but it still has the beef and enough output to make any amp saturate nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                              Frank Zappa is nobody? He replaced the pups in his Les Pauls with Carvin M22s.

I absolutely *love* the M22SD; it might be my favorite bridge pickup ever. It's almost like a hotter, slightly less dry Pegasus, or almost like what would happen if a Pegasus and an Invader had kids. Really tight on the attack, and nicely articulate, but it still has the beef and enough output to make any amp saturate nicely.
                              I'm just telling you what a 16 year old thought when he saw them in pictures. I don't think I ever saw one in person ... until maybe late 90s in GC used section?

Comment

Other than testing the guitars, I can't form an opinion on Kiesel or Carvin pickups in a guitar I know well. I know Allan Holdsworth sounded great with his signature pickups, but I don't think pickups are a huge part of his sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X