How do you play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
    I play nearly exclusively with a pick, but that's not what I want to talk about.

I want to talk about this dumb thing I did as a beginner: I couldn't keep hold of a pick to save my life, so I developed this technique where I held my thumb and forefinger as though I were holding a pick (even though I wasn't) and then played like that, with the tip/nail of my index finger striking the strings.

I kept that up for literally YEARS.

Anytime else ever do anything that dumb, repeatedly?

Not dumb at all. Andy from all those pro guitar shop demos ("Hi I'm Andy, and this is the sound of that pedal you probably can't afford into that amp you really can't afford . . . ") plays this way and makes it work pretty nicely.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Flat pick but I'm trying to get better at finger picking

Comment

Hybrid.

Comment

Pick majority of the time. There's a few songs on the list where I'll fingerpick but that's it. When I'm fiddling around at home not really playing anything I'll fingerpick some but I'm most comfortable with a pick.

Comment

I play nearly exclusively with a pick, but that's not what I want to talk about.

I want to talk about this dumb thing I did as a beginner: I couldn't keep hold of a pick to save my life, so I developed this technique where I held my thumb and forefinger as though I were holding a pick (even though I wasn't) and then played like that, with the tip/nail of my index finger striking the strings.

yes my name is Ehd
            I used to do that
            now i probably still do but I have stopped admitting to it
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I can't play that way because the strings sand my fingernail off. My first finger hits the strings even when using a pick, so if I have a longer 4-5 hour gig, I'll put clear fingernail polish on my first fingernail to protect it.

Comment

back in the eighties
                Lee Press On Nails were popular
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I don't think this is dumb... because I do it!

If I drop my pick or if I'm fingerpicking without a pick handy, and I want a more percussive sound similar to what a pick would do, I'll use this ghost pick method.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I hybrid pick classical pieces, too. I started learning classical fingerpicking at 8, but then went to strictly pick playing. Eventually I went to hybrid picking as I didn't want to have to drop my picks to play the intros to my favorite hard rock songs.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I play almost exclusively with a pick. I keep trying to learn to finger or hybrid pick, but it never really gets beyond my practice at home.

Comment

Almost always with a pick, but various approaches
                        - I will occasionally play hybrid
                        - I can play finger style, having played classical for a while and now working bass
                        - I can tap with more than 1 finger on the right hand

More tools is more tools

Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I hybrid pick classical pieces, too. I started learning classical fingerpicking at 8, but then went to strictly pick playing. Eventually I went to hybrid picking as I didn't want to have to drop my picks to play the intros to my favorite hard rock songs.
                          Another little trick that I must practice more is to roll the plectrum back and forth between the playing position, and held between 1st & 2nd (or between 2nd & 3rd) fingers towards the base of the fingers. That allows you to keep hold of it but have it far enough away to not interfere excessively with finger-picking.
                          Last edited by playas; 01-29-2021, 12:07 AM. Reason: Corrected finger numbering.

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post

Another little trick that I must practice more is to roll the plectrum back and forth between the playing position, and held between 1st & 2nd (or 3rd & 4th) fingers towards the base of the fingers. That allows you to keep hold of it but have it far enough away to not interfere excessively with finger-picking.
                            I never do that. Just pick and other 3 fingers. I got really good at balancing the sound of the pick with the fingers.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Flatpick for me, almost exclusively. Sometimes fingers for bass depending on the gig.

I do occasionally crook the pick in my index finger and use the other three & thumb for fingerstyle moments.
                              That comes so naturally I didn't really even notice what I was doing until the other guitarist in the band asked me about it.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                Almost always with a pick, but various approaches
                                - I will occasionally play hybrid
                                - I can play finger style, having played classical for a while and now working bass
                                - I can tap with more than 1 finger on the right hand

More tools is more tools
                                +1

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X