Signature Model Guitars...Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signature Model Guitars...Yay or Nay?

Are you fans of signature model guitars? I know some are and some aren't. I think I would probably NOT buy a signature guitar if I wasn't a fan of the artist.

If you are a fan of signature model guitars, which ones do you like?

I really like the Knaggs Steve Stevens SS2 models although the SSC models are ok. I am also a fan of anything ESP and James Hetfield. The PRS Tremonti's (old versions with fat necks and fixed bridges) are awesome as well.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

I'm a big fan of the Les Paul!
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

If the only difference between the signature model of guitar and one that is not signature but they are the same minus the signature, I see no need to purchase the signature model. I have an Iceman that was a reissue back in 94, I would never spend the money on the PS model of that guitar when for far less the difference between those two guitars, I could build my Iceman into the PS model.

For $160 I could make my Iceman a PS model minus his name, not worth the cost of the Sig model difference of about $400. I think I paid approx $800 for it new, think the PS models were going for $1200, so for the cost of 2 pickups and his name on it, naw, not gonna happen.
      Last edited by Hsb; 02-03-2021, 09:39 AM.
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I'm not a fan. A lot of times the differences between regular production and signature models are more cosmetic than functional.

Comment

I'd buy a signature model if the features on it closely match what I'm looking for. I don't care at all about whether or not it has someone's sig on the headstock.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's not critical for me to have the true signature model. But I have one or two.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

There's NO shame in getting a signature model. In many cases, you get finishes and features not available on standard production guitars of the same model for not a lot of money. In my experience, they also tend to have solid QC, as well.

Every guitarist dreams of playing their own "signature" model, but that's not realistic for 99% of us.

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
                I'm a big fan of the Les Paul!

There's always someone pulling out the "Les Paul" in threads about "signature" guitars

Gee, I have a Paul Reed Smith...does that mean I have a "signature" guitar? I mean, it literally has his "signature" on the headstock, so must be...right?

Comment

They allow quirky differences in design that you can't get from a standard model. I don't like them when they are just the same model in a different color or a different pickup option. I really want to see the artist in the design. Like the St Vincent Music Man, the Belew Parker Fly or the 1st Blackmore Strat from Japan with 2 pickups and a set neck.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    I'd buy a signature model if the features on it closely match what I'm looking for. I don't care at all about whether or not it has someone's sig on the headstock.
                    This exactly. I have one signature guitar, a John Mayer Strat. It’s basically the SRV V2, with more vintage style pickups a different neck carve and most importantly for me, a small signature on the back of the headstock so it really just looks like a Strat.

I do have an interest in the Clapton Strat, that’s got a pretty unique setup. Also the Slash AFD Les Paul is just an iconic look I want someday. It doesn’t have to be the AFD, but that distressed lemon burst is awesome.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Usually it's a no from me. But for example the only 7string Jackson with Warrior shape was the Dave Davidson sig model. And since like the guy's playing a lot and his sig model offered something I could only get from the Custom Shop otherwise it was a no brainer.

Comment

I'm all about unique gear, I have owned a few sig model stuff and it's always been great, but I've never bought a signature model just because I was a fan of that player.... Only because it either looked super, or had all the features I am looking for.
                        https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

I will use a sig model if it has features I want/need. For example, the Pete Townshend SJ200 was the only production J-200 with a solid bridge when it came out, and it had an incredibly thin easy neck to play.

Comment

I'm pretty much in the same boat with everyone else. It's the guitar, not the sig, that I care about. For example, I love the Robert Cray Stratocaster. But it's because it's a hardtail. Not because of RC.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

There's always someone pulling out the "Les Paul" in threads about "signature" guitars

Gee, I have a Paul Reed Smith...does that mean I have a "signature" guitar? I mean, it literally has his "signature" on the headstock, so must be...right?

not really

It was literally made as a signature model. Which is why they even tried to call the SG a Les Paul when their marketing department decided to get Les to play SGs and discontinue the "real" LPs.

Which, as we know, didn't exactly work out
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X