• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about each Jackson “level”...

JS series
    X Series
    Pro Series
    USA and up

I think there are the series available in the Jackson lineup. What are the differences in each? Is playing a Pro series going to give a good feel for a USA? How about X Series?

Whats the hardware breakdown, pickups, tuners, Floyd, etc.?

Who’s got what?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Since they're owned by Fender; if Jackson's were strats, it would be:
    JS-Squier
    X-Squier Pro/Limited Editions
    Pro-Mexican Strat
    USA-American strat all the way to US Custom Shop strat

Not a perfect analogy, but that's how I read it.

Larry

Comment

I was wondering if X was like MIM and Pro was like the Classic Player/Signatures out of Mexico. Or is X Indonesian/Chinese as well?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You won't get actual Duncans on anything X or below, just Duncan Designed or generic house pickups. IMO the Pro Series is really where you get consistent quality and appointments. The X Jacksons I've tried have not been great, or great value for the dollar. I'd say Schecter, for example, gives you better bang for the buck in the X-type price range.

EDIT: I'm wrong about Duncan Designed on X series. Some X series guitars have DD, some have actual Duncans. Certainly you'll see DD on JS.
        Last edited by weepingminotaur; 03-03-2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
          You won't get actual Duncans on anything X or below, just Duncan Designed or generic house pickups. IMO the Pro Series is really where you get consistent quality and appointments. The X Jacksons I've tried have not been great, or great value for the dollar. I'd say Schecter, for example, gives you better bang for the buck in the X-type price range.
          My 7 string X series came with Nazgul/Sentient from the factory.
          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400
          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

My 7 string X series came with Nazgul/Sentient from the factory.
            Hmm. I stand corrected. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Welcome, Ive seen some that come with the Duncan Design and Ive seen some come with Duncans in them. So tech we are both correct
              1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400
              Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Can you play them in person? Or is it this mostly an online-research-based venture?

I almost bought a X Soloist last year. Played great and had tons of vibe! Tried some Pros as well but didn't dig them as much. I wouldn't buy a Jackson sight unseen, but mostly because of my lack of familiarity with their instruments. Nothing wrong with Duncan Designed pickups or other imports, IMO. The bridge hardware is where I'd be more picky on. Like the different levels of Floyd bridges which are on some Jacksons, seems like the lower end Floyds have more problems than regular Floyds. That could just be internet gossip/poor setups though. I ended up getting an axe with a Floyd Standard and have had no problems with tuning other than the learning curve.
                Last edited by alex1fly; 03-03-2021, 01:00 PM.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I did some light 'research' before I bought my Jackson. This is the list I made for myself. (There are exceptions because of specific models, but I was generalizing on what seemed most common just to help myself choose one.)

Note: my list is scoped to just 6-string strat-types with a vibrato, because that's all I was shopping for

JS series
                  Poplar body
                  Archtop
                  Maple neck
                  Rosewood fretboard
                  12-16" radius
                  22 or 24 fret
                  25.5 scale (JS32 26.5 scale)
                  Bolt-on
                  Licensed Floyd or 2-point strat bridge
                  Jackson ceramic pickups

X series
                  Poplar or Basswood body
                  Flat top
                  Maple neck
                  Laurel fretboard
                  12-16" radius
                  24 fret
                  25.5 scale
                  DK bolt-on, SL Neck-through
                  DK Licensed Floyd, SL Floyd Rose Special
                  DK Jackson ceramic pickups, SL Duncan Designed Distortion/Hot Rail pickups

DK (Dinky)
                  Alder body
                  Flat top
                  Maple neck
                  Maple or Ebony fretboard
                  12-16" radius
                  24 fret
                  25.5 scale
                  Bolt-on
                  Floyd Rose 1000
                  Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickups

Pro series
                  Mahogany body (certain models Basswood, Alder or Ash)
                  Flat top
                  Maple neck
                  Ebony fretboard
                  12-16" radius
                  24 fret
                  25.5 scale
                  Neck through
                  Floyd Rose 1000
                  Seymour Duncan Distortion/SSL-6 pickups (San Dimas has DiMarzio Super Distortion/PAF Pro)

MJ series
                  Alder or Mahogany body
                  Flat top
                  Maple/Walnut 5-piece neck
                  Maple or Ebony fretboard
                  12-16" radius
                  24 fret
                  25.5 scale
                  Bolt-on
                  Gotoh GE1996T recessed bridge
                  Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz or DiMarzio Super Distortion/PAF Pro pickups

USA Series is all custom/sig models and all over the map
                  Last edited by beaubrummels; 03-03-2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

JS is what you'd expect it to be - entry level instrument on the cheap
                    X Series - I had a Soloist, sold it. Nothing really wrong with it, but it had a looser, rather rock sound which I personally did not like. On the objective side: Floyd Special, kinda ugly routing, under the neck pickup the spring claw screws protuded into the pickup cavity, the routings were generally swimming pool sized for both the control cavity and the bridge (I guess accounting for less precision). In my opinion this is the worst bang for buck in their lineup. If my experience is any indication of the general quality, it is way too overpriced. Also, some come with better specs, usually the ones that don't have a Pro Series equivalent (at least this is my opbservation).
                    Pro Series - Spec and build quality wise these are great instruments. For a few hundred extra, you get (supposedly) better woods, unfinished neck, more precise routings, USA Duncans, 1000 Series Floyd(same materials as the Germans, but made somewhere in Asia only for OEM). Minor aesthetic flaws and cut corners, like the clearcoat of the body covering the binding until the neck joint. Of course still no setup from factory. But my absolute No.1 is a Pro King V playability and sound wise I'd take it over my Japanese E-II any day.
                    USA - well, you know that.

Most Pro Series are Indonesian. As I observed the ones with Floyd are built by Samick, fixed bridge by Cort (Monarkh for example or the Mick Thomson sig) , bolt-on (Dinky) in Mexico. The X Series I had was Cort, dunno about the others By the way if you catch a serial ISJ= Indonesia Samick Jackson, ICJ= Indonesia Cort Jackson.

The rest is mixed bag, from India to China. They have an overpriced mini-series named the Wild Card series. Excellent specs (German Floyd, Fishmans, what have you), probably made in Korea, but EXTREMELY overpriced. Like 1800 USD...

Also, on a sad note I recently saw a Pro Series Soloist on their website and they forgot tot photoshop the serial from one of the pictures. "Crafted in China". Ouch. For 1400 USD. OUCH!

So in short, X has the looks and can find a great player. Pro Series has everything you need from an instrument, the finishing touches and minor details can be off, no hindrance to performance though. Obviously USA is their best offering. Unfortunately it looks like Fender is getting greedy and driving up the prices while moving manufacture to cheaper places... Oh yeah, I almost forgot they are re-introducing a Made in Japan series, for ridiculous prices...

Comment

Here are the Jackson levels.

Level 1 ENTRY
                      Andrew Jackson. Pretty Terrible at everything, but cheap so very good with money (hates banks)

Level 2 MID RANGE Michael Jackson Shreds, but no good for beginners or children

Level 3 MID RANGE Tito Jackson. Doesn't shred but also doesn't touch children so it's a long term keeper

Level 4 MID RANGE Peter Jackson for the most creative out of the box styles especial very very long songs with no ending in site.

Level 5 EXPERT Bo Jackson -the do it all Axe -the most versatile of the Jacksons

Level 6 EXPERT Samuel Jackson -does one thing ;literally one thing -but damn it will have you cursing with delight from that one thing.
                      Last edited by NegativeEase; 03-03-2021, 03:17 PM.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Here are the Jackson levels.

Level 1 ENTRY
                        Andrew Jackson. Pretty Terrible at everything, but cheap so very good with money (hates banks)

Level 2 MID RANGE Michael Jackson Shreds, but no good for beginners or children

Level 3 MID RANGE Tito Jackson. Doesn't shred but also doesn't touch children so it's a long term keeper

Level 4 MID RANGE Peter Jackson for the most creative out of the box styles especial very very long songs with no ending in site.

Level 5 EXPERT Bo Jackson -the do it all Axe -the most versatile of the Jacksons

Level 6 EXPERT Samuel Jackson -does one thing ;literally one thing -but dam it will have you cursing with delight from that one thing.
                        Hi quality ****post, I have to recognize. Well done.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                          Can you play them in person? Or is it this mostly an online-research-based venture?

I almost bought a X Soloist last year. Played great and had tons of vibe! Tried some Pros as well but didn't dig them as much. I wouldn't buy a Jackson sight unseen, but mostly because of my lack of familiarity with their instruments. Nothing wrong with Duncan Designed pickups or other imports, IMO. The bridge hardware is where I'd be more picky on. Like the different levels of Floyd bridges which are on some Jacksons, seems like the lower end Floyds have more problems than regular Floyds. That could just be internet gossip/poor setups though. I ended up getting an axe with a Floyd Standard and have had no problems with tuning other than the learning curve.
                          Thank you for the info. Depending on what level it could be either. There are couple really cool X series available, like the SL4 with the quasi retro cool look and DD Hotrails
                          (especially pink) and the KEX in black/gold. I figure if you dropped in a real floyd and maybe did a little fret work they could be really cool guitars. On the other hand I’ve been wanting a DK2M for almost 15 years (whenever that came out) so maybe I just pull the trigger. I’ve always loved the Kelly shape, but at the X series level I’d the neck is a little thin for me it’s just a fun guitar. At Pro or above pricing I’d need to really like it.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          I did some light 'research' before I bought my Jackson. This is the list I made for myself. (There are exceptions because of specific models, but I was generalizing on what seemed most common just to help myself choose one.)

Note: my list is scoped to just 6-string strat-types with a vibrato, because that's all I was shopping for

JS series
                          Poplar body
                          Archtop
                          Maple neck
                          Rosewood fretboard
                          12-16" radius
                          22 or 24 fret
                          25.5 scale (JS32 26.5 scale)
                          Bolt-on
                          Licensed Floyd or 2-point strat bridge
                          Jackson ceramic pickups

X series
                          Poplar or Basswood body
                          Flat top
                          Maple neck
                          Laurel fretboard
                          12-16" radius
                          24 fret
                          25.5 scale
                          DK bolt-on, SL Neck-through
                          DK Licensed Floyd, SL Floyd Rose Special
                          DK Jackson ceramic pickups, SL Duncan Designed Distortion/Hot Rail pickups

DK (Dinky)
                          Alder body
                          Flat top
                          Maple neck
                          Maple or Ebony fretboard
                          12-16" radius
                          24 fret
                          25.5 scale
                          Bolt-on
                          Floyd Rose 1000
                          Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickups

Pro series
                          Mahogany body (certain models Basswood, Alder or Ash)
                          Flat top
                          Maple neck
                          Ebony fretboard
                          12-16" radius
                          24 fret
                          25.5 scale
                          Neck through
                          Floyd Rose 1000
                          Seymour Duncan Distortion/SSL-6 pickups (San Dimas has DiMarzio Super Distortion/PAF Pro)

MJ series
                          Alder or Mahogany body
                          Flat top
                          Maple/Walnut 5-piece neck
                          Maple or Ebony fretboard
                          12-16" radius
                          24 fret
                          25.5 scale
                          Bolt-on
                          Gotoh GE1996T recessed bridge
                          Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz or DiMarzio Super Distortion/PAF Pro pickups

USA Series is all custom/sig models and all over the map
                          Thanks for the info, that’s what I’d have had to sit down and compile myself! Very helpful. What did you end up with?

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                          JS is what you'd expect it to be - entry level instrument on the cheap
                          X Series - I had a Soloist, sold it. Nothing really wrong with it, but it had a looser, rather rock sound which I personally did not like. On the objective side: Floyd Special, kinda ugly routing, under the neck pickup the spring claw screws protuded into the pickup cavity, the routings were generally swimming pool sized for both the control cavity and the bridge (I guess accounting for less precision). In my opinion this is the worst bang for buck in their lineup. If my experience is any indication of the general quality, it is way too overpriced. Also, some come with better specs, usually the ones that don't have a Pro Series equivalent (at least this is my opbservation).
                          Pro Series - Spec and build quality wise these are great instruments. For a few hundred extra, you get (supposedly) better woods, unfinished neck, more precise routings, USA Duncans, 1000 Series Floyd(same materials as the Germans, but made somewhere in Asia only for OEM). Minor aesthetic flaws and cut corners, like the clearcoat of the body covering the binding until the neck joint. Of course still no setup from factory. But my absolute No.1 is a Pro King V playability and sound wise I'd take it over my Japanese E-II any day.
                          USA - well, you know that.

Most Pro Series are Indonesian. As I observed the ones with Floyd are built by Samick, fixed bridge by Cort (Monarkh for example or the Mick Thomson sig) , bolt-on (Dinky) in Mexico. The X Series I had was Cort, dunno about the others By the way if you catch a serial ISJ= Indonesia Samick Jackson, ICJ= Indonesia Cort Jackson.

The rest is mixed bag, from India to China. They have an overpriced mini-series named the Wild Card series. Excellent specs (German Floyd, Fishmans, what have you), probably made in Korea, but EXTREMELY overpriced. Like 1800 USD...

Also, on a sad note I recently saw a Pro Series Soloist on their website and they forgot tot photoshop the serial from one of the pictures. "Crafted in China". Ouch. For 1400 USD. OUCH!

So in short, X has the looks and can find a great player. Pro Series has everything you need from an instrument, the finishing touches and minor details can be off, no hindrance to performance though. Obviously USA is their best offering. Unfortunately it looks like Fender is getting greedy and driving up the prices while moving manufacture to cheaper places... Oh yeah, I almost forgot they are re-introducing a Made in Japan series, for ridiculous prices...
                          Thank you for the info! I agree Fender is getting a bit out of hand. Once the COVID is over and the demand receeds, I wonder if they’ll regret the recent price hikes?
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

SL4X

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

KEX - super cool looking

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...