Best location for output jack for Flying V guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best location for output jack for Flying V guitar

Where do you think is the best location for the output jack on a Flying V guitar, on the leg or near the tone knobs?

If you plan to sit down with it at all, you don't want it on the inside of the lower horn. The forward-facing output jack is ugly, but slightly better.

Personally, I like the way Jackson does it on the inside of the upper horn.

Another option is to rout for a strat jack plate on the back, which is clean, simple, and well out of the way:

Comment

I go with Jackson, too. Gibson has never gotten this right.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another vote for Jackson having the best location.

If I have to go with one of the Gibson locations, I'll take near the controls. Sometimes it is in the way there, but sadly I'm used to that from some of my guitars. I just use a right angle plug and it isn't too bad.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

And another Jackson vote from me.

I believe the Solars have the jack the way it's pictured in Masta'C's post, that solution makes sense too.

Comment

Now that I think about it the top (inside) of the lower leg of the V (Strat style) near the control panel would work a treat. Out of the way and you could lean it up against the amp without fear of kinking the cable.

Comment

Definitely inside the leg like Jackson if it's an option for a build. If it's stock that way on the pickguard, a custom relocation is an option. If it came on the bottom of the lower leg, I'd leave it. My Dean ML has it on the front of the lower leg, My SG Jr has it on the face front behind the tone control. I use right-angle plugs anyway.

Comment

Wouldn’t the output jack break easily near the end of the leg of the Flying V?

Comment

If it's a choice between the two Gibson locations, I definitely prefer it out near the point.
                  On the pickguard it'd be in the way unless you always use a right angle plug.
                  Plus, I just don't like the look of it.

However, having the jack out by itself requires extra routing.
                  Pretty sure Gibson switched from that original arrangement to cut costs.

As for altenative placements:
                  In the lower wing would be a problem when sitting down, as mentioned.
                  Inside the upper wing ala Jackson is a pretty good idea but might take more work than the other options.
                  IMO a Strat jackplate in the back might be the best of all. Why isn't that more common?
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

the strat jack like that seems cool but i wonder how it would work looping your cable through your strap

Comment

Working...
                    X