Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 way Tele switch

Why isn’t this stock on Teles?

I’ve been messing with my Tele Plus v2 a bit. Last night, swapped a 4 way switch and standard 250k tone pot into it, and man... that series setting is awesome!

The only con I suppose is a little more care must be taken to go straight to the neck pickup (it’s the 3rd position), but having series available without a push pull or mini toggle is totally worth it.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

i have mine wired neck, parallel, bridge, series. i really like the series option for slide and some other things. with hotter pups, i dont care for it as much but ive thought that adding a cap in series with the two series pups could help it cut through better

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      Why isn't this stock on Teles?
      It took Fender a long time to go from a 3-way to a 5-way on Strats. Progress is sloooow.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

It took Fender a long time to go from a 3-way to a 5-way on Strats. Progress is sloooow.
        Touche

I’m still using the stock Lace Tele pickups. Ultimately, I didn’t really use the middle Lace Strat pickup. Tried a JB jr there, which was cool, but ended up like all the complex switching schemes I’ve tried: neat idea on paper that I don’t use.

This also allowed me to ditch the stupid mini toggle between the knobs. I initially wanted to reverse the plate, but the cavity needs routed under the switch. I kind of like the tone knob in the volume spot for faux-wah shenanigans.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

. . . but ended up like all the complex switching schemes I've tried: neat idea on paper that I don't use.
          I love messing with weird wiring schemes. But they all come back to the basics. The one thing that persists, is my Slutbucker, virtual 3rd humbucker idea. (Which PRS did first.)

I do like that one.

Comment

I love messing with weird wiring schemes. But they all come back to the basics. The one thing that persists, is my Slutbucker, virtual 3rd humbucker idea. (Which PRS did first.)

I do like that one.
            Agree, and that’s the reason I’m sticking with the 5 way rotary on my PRS. Well, to be fair, all 5 sound great, but that one is especially awesome.

Comment

I think the series setting is really the best if you have vintage-output Tele pickups. If you have something like QPs or Little Humbuckers, I suspect that setting will be less useful.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                If you have something like QPs or Little Humbuckers, I suspect that setting will be less useful.
                I think this might be where "tapped" QP's work. Series, tapped. That might be cool.

Comment

I think this might be where "tapped" QP's work. Series, tapped. That might be cool.

I am happy with a 4 way in a Nashville where I have the middle pickup tapped in series with the bridge.

Comment

I have a 5 way standard in my Tele's: bridge, both parallel, both series, both series out of phase, neck. That fourth setting, series out of phase, is AMAZING. In fact, I love it even more with a JB and a Jazz! I cannot get enough of that setting, haha. It's honky and jangly and clean but not skreechy or thin. I don't know if this works with every guitar or every pickup, but the ones I have this installed in, it works just fine.

Bonus: the schaller 5 way I use feels so smooth. I prefer that over the CRL and Oak switches usually found in guitars.

Comment

On Amazon, the Fender branded switch was about the same price as the other good ones, and included the knob (the others didn’t), so I opted for that to avoid issues of the knob not fitting properly. Believe it or not, the Fender 250k pot was cheaper than the others, and included a cap.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                        I have a 5 way standard in my Tele's: bridge, both parallel, both series, both series out of phase, neck. That fourth setting, series out of phase, is AMAZING. In fact, I love it even more with a JB and a Jazz!
                        I may have to try that. I've heard a lot about it. I have a JB/Jazz in my Tele, with a Superswitch. But I have bridge, bridge parallel, B/N split series, B/N split parallel, and neck. I'll have to decide which position to sacrifice. Or, I could just add a push-pull for OOP. But not much room left in that Tele control cavity.

Comment

Why isn’t this stock on Teles?
                          Because TDPRI, which accounts for 93.7% of all Telecaster sales worldwide, would probably bomb the Fender headquarters for daring to change Leo's beautiful, perfect guitar.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

Because TDPRI, which accounts for 93.7% of all Telecaster sales worldwide, would probably bomb the Fender headquarters for daring to change Leo's beautiful, perfect guitar.
                            Hahaha! This is probably true. But Fender knows their audience, too. No doubt they will come out with some kind of 'modern' Tele (maybe they already have) that has the 4 way. Gibson has the same issue with LPs- change a small thing and people throw a fit. Those same people buy the same guitar every year.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Actually considering a tele with a 2 way switch--both series, both parallel. Gimmick guitar but eh... do you need more than a rhythm sound and a lead sound?

if anyone has a link to that switch or a diagram for that wiring I'd be appreciative
                              Originally posted by gibson175
                              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
                              X