The one guitar you keep reaching for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

It's possible, but you have to be committed to wanting the tele pickup in there as a little routing is required. :P

I got a big aluminum conversion ring to go over the humbucker hole:
    Are you sure? I thought you could install a tele pickup in a humbucker route without difficulty? just a new ring and done.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

Are you sure? I thought you could install a tele pickup in a humbucker route without difficulty? just a new ring and done.
      It might depend on the size of the humbucker route in your guitar. In the Godin though it needed a little widening at the top left and bottom right to accommodate the tele bass plate. Pretty much like this:
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I rotate them fairly regularly but this one has been super busy since I got it last year

10S GF - MJ 59B with an Ant Jazz neck

Click image for larger version

Name:	10s.jpeg
Views:	1479
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	6077787
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I HAD it- a 1966 Yamaha SA-5, number #374, in blonde. All flame maple body, mini humbuckers, two piece neck- and the best vibrato bridge I ever came across.

It got stolen by a meth-head, back in 2018. . Oh well...
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

It might depend on the size of the humbucker route in your guitar. In the Godin though it needed a little widening at the top left and bottom right to accommodate the tele bass plate. Pretty much like this:
            i had to rout to get a tele pup in the bridge of my hsh strat too

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
              I rotate them fairly regularly but this one has been super busy since I got it last year

10S GF - MJ 59B with an Ant Jazz neck

Click image for larger version

Name:	10s.jpeg
Views:	1479
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	6077787
              I was checking these out recently, what are they like? Seem like good bang for buck if you want a single cut.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post

I was checking these out recently, what are they like? Seem like good bang for buck if you want a single cut.
                The guitar itself is pretty well made and has a really good feel, I dig the relicing and I am sure it isn't everyone's thing but to me it just works on this guitar, I did wet sand and buff out out a bit of orange peel but I also got a great deal on it since they knew the finish wasn't quite right on this batch.

I did have to do some tweaking but far less than I actually expected. I changed the bridge posts because they were really soft and difficult to adjust. The tuners said Grover on them, maybe Grover from Sesame Street made them, they sucked. It felt like there was grit in them and they just didn;t hold well. I put on a nice set of Gotohs and the tuning is fine now. I did a light level and re-dressed the frets and the nut. They weren't bad but i am a bit picky and it's easy enough for me to do. The last change was the pickups, the stock ones were OK but that's it, OK. The guitar sounded great unamplified and I knew that the stock pups weren't bringing anything to the table. I dropped in the SD's and it is a monster now. I love this guitar, seriously love this guitar. Feel, sound and playabilty are all up there with my favorite guitars.

***I also put on an aged toggle ring since the new one it shipped with looked silly and I put on better strap pegs***
                Last edited by Wattage; 05-04-2021, 10:41 PM.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

^^ Thanks for the overview. Yes, frets have to be slick, none of that metal on metal grinding like robots having secks. 'Grover from Sesame St' ; but are Grovers made in the US anymore?

I had a feeling this is how they might be > good bones, just tidy things, change hardware and electronics according to taste/necessity.

The one that quirked my eyebrow (à la The Rock) was on Reverb, an all natural with chrome parts and blocks, kinda Custom meets Standard.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

My go to is my baby: "76 Les Paul Custom. It was suffering from mid 70s Gibson twisted neck syndrome but only from fret 17 on up to begin with but got worse over time. I had a refret done on it about 10 years ago and it was a bad job. A few months ago I sent it off and got a refret with the PLEK machine. PLEK machine reradiused the fretboard (the refret guy did a 9.5" radius on it) and compensated for the twisted neck. Then of course the PLEK fret leveling! She plays better now than she did when I first bought her used years ago!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oldfart_Shredman View Post
                      My go to is my baby: "76 Les Paul Custom. It was suffering from mid 70s Gibson twisted neck syndrome but only from fret 17 on up to begin with but got worse over time. I had a refret done on it about 10 years ago and it was a bad job. A few months ago I sent it off and got a refret with the PLEK machine. PLEK machine reradiused the fretboard (the refret guy did a 9.5" radius on it) and compensated for the twisted neck. Then of course the PLEK fret leveling! She plays better now than she did when I first bought her used years ago!!
                      Very cool! I've played a Les Paul 25/50 from the same era, but man, that was one heavy guitar!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My shoulder starts getting tired just talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldfart_Shredman View Post
                          My shoulder starts getting tired just talking about it.
                          Yeah, in the 70s they must have believed if it was heavier, it would rock more.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Here she is next to my American Special
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great thread. I would like to think my "go to" for jamming and practice is my PRS S2 blue sparkle, but realistically, I've been really loving my p-90 SG lately.
                              -=The Dali
                              --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

The one I keep reaching for (Taylor) is in for repairs. :-(

Comment

Working...
                                X