banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are $8K to $10K CS Les Paul's really necessary ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its the Glue right?
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
      its the Glue right?
      Gibson only uses glue made from the finest Quarter Horses.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        its the Glue right?
        Yes, because in order to pay $35,000 for a Gibson you need to be a glue sniffer.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          Heritage Series (R8s & R9s, etc) are non-weight-relieved, and they too have the long-tenon neck joint.

Most of the tenon in "long tenon" is milled away by the CNC.
          Not a huge difference really.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Yes, because in order to pay $35,000 for a Gibson you need to be a glue sniffer.
            You got it right!
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Most of the tenon in "long tenon" is milled away by the CNC.
              Not a huge difference really.
              AFAIK the Historic Series LPs are still non-weight-relieved - except for the ones clearly designated as chambered, like CR8s or the or "Cloud 9" series they offered for a couple of years.

When they describe Historics as having a lightweight mahogany body, they mean solid wood that was selected for its light weight. That's always been my understanding, anyway.

I guess all regular production LPs are weight-relieved now, but I'm reluctant to accept that they're doing it to the R series.

I wonder if boat-anchor weights will soon become a selling point? "Here's your chance to get a Norlin-era Les Paul, 12 lbs!"

The T-tops that used to end up in the trash because people literally couldn't give 'em away are now collectible...
              Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-22-2021, 08:18 PM.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Sometimes the features on the most expensive Gibsons trickle down to the lower-priced guitars. Thing is, I think things like weight relief, body contours, modern colors, and locking tuners are improvements. Vintage spec doesn't mean anything to me. There is a product in the line for me, and luckily, it isn't the most expensive! So let the collectors grab these reproductions, I see no problem with it, as it doesn't affect me at all.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Sometimes the features on the most expensive Gibsons trickle down to the lower-priced guitars. Thing is, I think things like weight relief, body contours, modern colors, and locking tuners are improvements. Vintage spec doesn't mean anything to me. There is a product in the line for me, and luckily, it isn't the most expensive! So let the collectors grab these reproductions, I see no problem with it, as it doesn't affect me at all.
                  Absolutely correct.

All the guitars I make are contoured to be comfortable, the necks are extremely playable, they all have bone compensated nuts and locking tuners, and they are chambered so they weigh less than 7 lbs. My primary objective is to make the most comfortable and playable guitar available. The secondary objective (which is really about the same value as the primary objective) is to make it unique and beautiful.

I've found that the chambering actually makes them sound much better, more articulate. You don't need a lot of weight to make a guitar sound good. And in fact a lot of times that extra weight just makes it sound muddy, as well as being a real/literal pain in the neck to play. Yes, you can keep your heavy look-alike production guitars at any cost. Not for me...I've got a lot of them and I love them all, but I'm through with buying/collecting any more of them.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X