banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graph tec String saver saddles and a lack of harmonics an sustain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I Consider the tone change from the Graphtech to be a desirable thing.
    And it’s really a minute change.
    It definitely reduced a touch of the edgy natural harshness of my Tele in a good way
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Well today I got my mighty sight lighted magnifying glasses out and really looked close at the saddles on the Purple DC 127. All 6 are cracked in exactly the same place. Dead center the section above the the intonation screw. Some are worse than others but all 6 are cracked so its no wonder the guitar lacks some life and sustain! Makes no sense as there it is no evidence of any type of impact and the saddles are not jammed up on the bridge nothing just a small crack in each saddle from the intonation screw to the top pf the saddle. Haven't a clue on this one guys so anybody got a clue on this?
      Guitar is intonated perfectly and is solid as a rock in tuning but those cracks are definitely there so??
      Won''t put full Graphtecs back on it I can guarantee you that!
      Last edited by Ascension; 09-10-2021, 06:15 PM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Well you have your answer
        if you dont plan on using Graphtech again
        you can order the OEM replacement set from Kiesel
        You can get another set from a boutique supplier
        You can get a set from ebay

Its a price thing now

Hey here's a thought
        Have you considered piezo saddles?
        Just putting it out there
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
          Well today I got my mighty sight lighted magnifying glasses out and really looked close at the saddles on the Purple DC 127. All 6 are cracked in exactly the same place. Dead center the section above the the intonation screw. Some are worse than others but all 6 are cracked so its no wonder the guitar lacks some life and sustain! Makes no sense as there it is no evidence of any type of impact and the saddles are not jammed up on the bridge nothing just a small crack in each saddle from the intonation screw to the top pf the saddle. Haven't a clue on this one guys so anybody got a clue on this?
          Guitar is intonated perfectly and is solid as a rock in tuning but those cracks are definitely there so??
          My best guess is maybe the guitar took an impact at the bridge at some point resulting in all six saddles getting cracked?

It’s a long shot explanation but it’s all it got!

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            Well you have your answer
            if you dont plan on using Graphtech again
            you can order the OEM replacement set from Kiesel
            You can get another set from a boutique supplier
            You can get a set from ebay

Its a price thing now

Hey here's a thought
            Have you considered piezo saddles?
            Just putting it out there
            Have the Carvin AE 185 with the acoustic bridge or would think about it on the Piezo set up. Don't know what to make of all 6 saddles having cracks from intonation screw to the top though. Two were obvious the rest you had to really look to find but are there. Has anybody else seen anything like this with the graphtec saddles?
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Wow, that is weird. I've never had that happen to one, much less all 6. No wonder it doesn't sound so good.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Wow, that is weird. I've never had that happen to one, much less all 6. No wonder it doesn't sound so good.
                Yep shocked me when i saw it.Two were all the way through obvious and the first ones I saw but under the magnification all 6 have cracks to some extent in exactly the same spot. Center of the top of the screw hole for the intonation screws to the top of the saddle. What I cant believe is that it was holding tune and intonatiing at all like this!
                Guitars

Comment

Yep shocked me when i saw it.Two were all the way through obvious and the first ones I saw but under the magnification all 6 have cracks to some extent in exactly the same spot. Center of the top of the screw hole for the intonation screws to the top of the saddle. What I cant believe is that it was holding tune and intonatiing at all like this!
                  Snap a pic and send to Graph Tech, and ask what could cause that.

Comment

This has been my go to procedure for Daddario strings.
                    twice now i have had to send them images of some defect and they have responded with replacements
                    thats two packs of strings over the course of 7 years
                    And probably less than 10 packs of strings.
                    I dont change strings on my harem very often
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My thought also will see if I have a camera that will get a detailed enough photo of the worst two saddles to send. If so will post the photo here.Never ever seen this one before so??
                      Last edited by Ascension; 09-12-2021, 02:17 PM.
                      Guitars

Comment

Not sure why type of cell phone you have but the iPhone camera is pretty damn good

Comment

I avoid using them, I hate the sound difference
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

This has totally been my experience with the graph tech saddles...they DO have a dulling affect on the sound, and they crack. Every one I have used has cracked, most of them right where yours cracked, at the intonation screws. If you replace them, my advice would be to NOT use Graph Tech again...you will just be replacing them again soon, and suffering with poor tone in the mean time. Get steel saddles and be happy with the tone and longevity.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

ive used em on a few guitars and seen tons when working at a shop. never seen one crack before. i only have em on two guitars at the moment, that i can recall anyway, and they are the classics that only have a little of the graphite material

Comment

I guess that is good we have the choice, being that we had vastly different experiences.

Comment

Working...
                                X