banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Electric Guitar For Hard Rock/Hair Metal Covers Band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another option is to look for an actual 80s guitar. Outside of Jackson and Charvel, you can find good prices.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Let's make a distinction here;

Are you a COVER band playing 80's hair?

Or are you a TRIBUTE band to 80's hair?

If a cover band, who cares what guitar as long as it works

If a tribute band, superstars, single bridge pickups, graphics etc. And spandex and hair and the rest....
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Well I wound up getting a PRS SE Custom 24 in faded blue burst. String height was way too high and pickups have way too.much bottom end and a blanket over the speakers sound. Debating on if pickup pole pieces and pickup height should be adjusted or should I just do some of the popular mods that others have done on them?
        Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
        Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
        2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
        1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
        Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
        Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
        Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

For 80s hard rock/hair metal with good splits, normally I'd say JB or Super Distprtion.

But since you already have both of those covered in your other guitars, I suggest the standard Duncan Custom.
          It leans a little more towards classic rock. Sometimes described as PAF-on-steroids. Nice bright voice with good split tone.
          SH-5 can rage, but rolled back it can be polite & dynamic, even delicate.

Jazz neck is always a great option. I know you already have one but it'll be even brighter in this guitar.
          For a warmer and a more vintagey option at the neck, I think the 59N could also be a good choice for a PRS.
          No worries about it being boomy in a 24 fret guitar.

For something with more heft & muscle, the Duncan Distortion bridge might be your ticket.
          Big bottom, yet tight: massive chunk, plenty of punch and no flab. Searing highs balance out the low end nicely
          Not a dark sounding pickup - definitely no blanket-over-the-speakers sound. Nice split tone too.

If it's too huge sounding, you can lower it - the DD is powerful enough to set low and still produce plenty of juice.

Distortion neck has a fairly quick response, good definition for rhythm & chord parts, and it cleans up nicely.
          Sustainy singing voice for leads, with a strong, present pick attack - was originally a bridge pickup.
          It also offers stronger split tone than lower output pickups like the Jazz or 59.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post
            Well I wound up getting a PRS SE Custom 24 in faded blue burst. String height was way too high and pickups have way too.much bottom end and a blanket over the speakers sound. Debating on if pickup pole pieces and pickup height should be adjusted or should I just do some of the popular mods that others have done on them?
            Adjust poles and pickup height to get tje best sound you can out of them. If that doesn't get you there, make sure all the wiring and pots are up to spec. If so, then look at pickups. Depending on the sound you want, you can look at the Screamin Demon, Duncan Distortion, Full Shred, or Custom, depending on the flavor of 80's hair you want.

As far as neck pickups, I'm partial to the Pearly Gates in shorter scale, mahogany guitars.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
            X