Tru-oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tru-oil

1. Do you guys use this on the fretboard as well?

2. Do you you use the finish and the wax?

I Have 2 necks that I have sanded down and Tru-oiled.
    I did not put any on the fretboard. Both of them have rosewood boards. I’m not sure if you would want to use it on a maple one piece. I would think only if it were raw wood?
    And yes, I used the wax on both of them. Also not on the board.

This is the video I learned from.

Comment

Use ONLY this stuff on my fretboards and nothing else to maintain a fretboard. https://www.doctorsprod.com/product-page/fret-doctor I will use ether pure lighter fluid or lemon oil to clean a very dirty board let it dry and then will hit it with the Fret Doctor. have actually saved a couple guitars with the stuff. One ebony board that was super filthy and when cleaned has open grain. Hit it with Fret Doctor and let it soak in a couple times and challenge you to find a crack along the grain on that board. Have had several with badly dried out Rosewood boards that were very light in color and the guitars had a sharp plinky tone. Cleaned the board hit it with Fret Doctor a couple times and let it soak in and the tone warmed back up and the color came back. Stuff works miracles a lot of times.
      On even a Tung oil finish i have always used a pure Carnauba high end car wax.
      This is my 1994 Carvin DC 127 in solid Tung Oil KOA that has been gigged out hard for many years . Take a hard look at 20+ years of road use and never a re oil because of using the wax!
      Last edited by Ascension; 12-23-2021, 12:01 PM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The KOA DC 127
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
          Use ONLY this stuff on my fretboards and nothing else to maintain a fretboard. https://www.doctorsprod.com/product-page/fret-doctor I will use ether pure lighter fluid or lemon oil to clean a very dirty board let it dry and then will hit it with the Fret Doctor. have actually saved a couple guitars with the stuff.
          is that a one board bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            I Have 2 necks that I have sanded down and Tru-oiled.
            I did not put any on the fretboard. Both of them have rosewood boards. I’m not sure if you would want to use it on a maple one piece. I would think only if it were raw wood?
            And yes, I used the wax on both of them. Also not on the board.

This is the video I learned from.

https://youtu.be/RiDm4JKtICk
            I'll use this as a guide for sure.
            . Thanks

Comment

I have used it as a finish for a number of decades. For fingerboard finishes - only on maple.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I use TruOil on the fretboard if it is maple. Otherwise, no, not on the fretboard. It's a finish, not an "oil", so it's not intended for "maintenance" of woods that don't require a proper finish.

I use TruOil straight on my necks, usually built up to a gloss or burnished to a smooth, satin finish. I don't do the wax, but it's useful if you're trying to keep your "finish" to the most minimal thickness for a "real wood" feel, like MusicMan does on their necks. The downside to wax is that you have to sand, oil, and re-wax every so often.

With a properly applied TruOil finish, built up with a few layers, it's like having a proper sprayed-on professional finish that just happens to be easier to touch up if you ever need to.

Comment

Most TruOil finishes are up to 10 layers and have a satin look.
                  But they can be built up and buffed to a high shine.
                  I didn't do this Tele - but it's glorious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TruOil Tele.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	6137357
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I'm taking the plunge. The only guitar I have with maple is already beautiful. This will be for a project strat neck with a rosewood fretboard.

I'll try the Fret Doctor stuff and go from there.

I ordered a bottle of satin and the wax, I'll order the Fret Doctor this afternoon.

Thanks guys.

Keep the tips coming

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                      I'm taking the plunge. The only guitar I have with maple is already beautiful. This will be for a project strat neck with a rosewood fretboard.

I'll try the Fret Doctor stuff and go from there.

I ordered a bottle of satin and the wax, I'll order the Fret Doctor this afternoon.

Thanks guys.

Keep the tips coming
                      Please document the process. I’m especially interested in what the Fret Doctor product does.

Edit:just saw your other post about ordering the alternative product. Still Interested in what it does.

Comment

I will

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          Most TruOil finishes are up to 10 layers and have a satin look.
                          But they can be built up and buffed to a high shine.
                          I didn't do this Tele - but it's glorious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TruOil Tele.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	6137357
                          Wow, that is remarkable.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Fret Dr is great on fretboards; I switched to it years ago after using Formby's lemon mineral oil for decades. I think you'll be happy with it.
                            Tru-Oil, as mentioned, hardens with a few coats to a type of varnish - not for fretboards unless you have raw maple and want a finish on it.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                              Fret Dr is great on fretboards; I switched to it years ago after using Formby's lemon mineral oil for decades. I think you'll be happy with it.
                              Tru-Oil, as mentioned, hardens with a few coats to a type of varnish - not for fretboards unless you have raw maple and want a finish on it.
                              No maple on this one and my maple necks are good anyway.
                              I ordered Music Nomad F-1 fret oil instead of the Fret Dr because it was almost half the price with great reviews and I'm pinching pennies right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X