Another tele I built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    That's funny, I'm working on a walnut body right now and just decided to put a maple strip in the back just because.
    Beautiful guitar - subtle but unique
    Walnut is an interesting wood. The walnut guitars I have played were pretty heavy though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

No problem with having a scratch plate on front...it's the tortoise that doesn't fit. A B/W/B would be awesome imho.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        A thing to be careful with ultra light bodies, is that they can be neck heavy. I did a chambered Strat of swamp ash, and while really light, made the guitar slightly neck heavy.
        All of my guitars are fully hollow, not just chambered, and come in at about 6 lbs total! Necks are solid with truss rod, 25.5" scale, and Fender locking tuners which are pretty heavy, but none of them are the least bit neck heavy, no neck dive at all. Mainly it's because of the fulcrum, the upper horn where the neck strap connects at the 12-13th fret.

If a guitar is designed well, it will be balanced, not like an SG especially a 24 fret SG. That, to me, is just about the most uncomfortable guitar to play because of neck dive. I've got three SGs, and though they are fun to play and have great tone, that neck dive really gets to me very quickly.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

All of my guitars are fully hollow, not just chambered, and come in at about 6 lbs total! Necks are solid with truss rod, 25.5" scale, and Fender locking tuners which are pretty heavy, but none of them are the least bit neck heavy, no neck dive at all. Mainly it's because of the fulcrum, the upper horn where the neck strap connects at the 12-13th fret.

If a guitar is designed well, it will be balanced, not like an SG especially a 24 fret SG. That, to me, is just about the most uncomfortable guitar to play because of neck dive. I've got three SGs, and though they are fun to play and have great tone, that neck dive really gets to me very quickly.
          Yeah, any guitar with the slightest dive I don't find myself playing very long.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

chambered necks to counteract neck dive.

we're on to something here

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Walnut is an interesting wood. The walnut guitars I have played were pretty heavy though.
              It ain't light!! Mine will be semi-hollow. I built the same basic body out of lightweight mahogany a few years ago and it is almost too light so this time I chose dense, heavy walnut. As long as the body comes in at 5 pounds or less I will be happy. My heaviest guitar has a 5lb 3oz body so that's my upper limit. I can just whittle away until I hit a good weight.

Comment

Working...
              X