How are Cort-made PRS SE's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are Cort-made PRS SE's?

I've got my eye set on an SE 245. I'm dubious of how the quality of the new Indonesian Cort-made stuff is compared to the old World Korean stuff. I would be buying online, so no chance to try before I buy.

Does it hold up? Are they as good? Are they worse? Should I look into something else?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    I've got my eye set on an SE 245. I'm dubious of how the quality of the new Indonesian Cort-made stuff is compared to the old World Korean stuff. I would be buying online, so no chance to try before I buy.

Does it hold up? Are they as good? Are they worse? Should I look into something else?

Thanks!
    Keep sending it back until you get a good one, that's what I do.

Comment

FWIW, the best Indo Squiers I've played have been Cort-made.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
        FWIW, the best Indo Squiers I've played have been Cort-made.
        Yeah I've got one thats pretty good.

Comment

When did the SE line start being made at Cort Indonesia? I had a SE Singlecut Korina that was fantastic made at World Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            When did the SE line start being made at Cort Indonesia? I had a SE Singlecut Korina that was fantastic made at World Korea.
            Probably a year or two back. I've had four Korean SE's which have all been good. I'm honestly dubious of the Cort stuff.

Comment

I don't see PRS putting out nonsense. I wouldn't hesitate if that is indeed the guitar you want. The SE stuff is great in that market sector.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

My Squier Classic Vibe SN starts with ISSL20 so not sure if it's made by Samick like the IS serial number models or not. It's a 2020 model made in Indonesia, I know that much. Plays and feels fantastic.

Comment

I'm honestly dubious of the Cort stuff.
                  First off, PRS has their own facility at the Cort factory with independent quality control, etc.

Second, the reviews online pretty much speak for themselves... You'd be hard pressed to find a truly bad experience with the newer SE models.

Third, I've owned both Korean-built and Indonesian-built SE's in addition to USA S2 and Core models. The one I kept and have no plans of ever selling? A Cort-made CU24.

I put on a Core model nut ($20) and locking tuners, but that's all it needed out of the box. The pots and switch are the only things that I'll eventually replace electronics-wise, but they are par for the course at the guitar's respective price point.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

First off, PRS has their own facility at the Cort factory with independent quality control, etc.

Second, the reviews online pretty much speak for themselves... You'd be hard pressed to find a truly bad experience with the newer SE models.

Third, I've owned both Korean-built and Indonesian-built SE's in addition to USA S2 and Core models. The one I kept and have no plans of ever selling? A Cort-made CU24.

I put on a Core model nut ($20) and locking tuners, but that's all it needed out of the box. The pots and switch are the only things that I'll eventually replace electronics-wise, but they are par for the course at the guitar's respective price point.

​​​
                    Good to hear, man. I think I might pull the trigger on the SE 245, then. Already have some pickups to go in it. Will probably drop some Gotoh tuners in it and be done.

Comment

Paul doesn’t mess around with stuff bearing his name. I remember reading they spent at least a week in Korea after choosing a factory training them how to make a PRS. I’m sure they did the same with Indonesia.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Good to hear, man. I think I might pull the trigger on the SE 245, then. Already have some pickups to go in it. Will probably drop some Gotoh tuners in it and be done.
                        Change the nut too. In my SE Singlecut Korina, the stock nut was fine for a bit but I ended up swapping it for a bone nut. The slots on stock nut were simply cut too deep. Action was fine but I didn't like how far the strings sat in the grooves. Aside from that, I had put some DiMarzio Air Classics in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Change the nut too. In my SE Singlecut Korina, the stock nut was fine for a bit but I ended up swapping it for a bone nut. The slots on stock nut were simply cut too deep. Action was fine but I didn't like how far the strings sat in the grooves. Aside from that, I had put some DiMarzio Air Classics in it.
                          I remember with all my PRS SE's, the grooves on the nuts have all been too thin. I think they're cut for 9's, and nothing else. Definitely gonna need to file them wider for 11-56's.

Comment

Cort is still around?

Last time I heard of them was in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                              Cort is still around?

Last time I heard of them was in the 80's.
                              Yeah, and the factory makes guitars for a few name brands. I've got an 02 Squier made there. Pretty sure they do some Ibanez also.

Comment

Working...
                              X