Stewmac kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    I've never built one, but they look like a good cheap practice (as in practice building a guitar) kit.

When you want to get serious, go with the ubiquitous:

https://warmoth.com/
    I doubt that they are "better", but going Warmoth (and buying all of the components) will end up costing close to $1000. For a build-it-yourself kit, that's way too much in my book.

I think one of the reasons you buy a kit is to learn how to do it and to have some fun building it. Warmoth is an expensive way to do that. For good "replacement" parts for your already good instrument, well yeah, Warmoth is great quality.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
      I'm always tempted when they are on sale. They look nice enough.

Precision kits are pretty amazing. I have the Explorer and it's a great guitar.
      How much more difficult is it compared to Warmoth assembly? Did you finish yourself?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        How much more difficult is it compared to Warmoth assembly? Did you finish yourself?

I make my own tele bodies and use warmoth necks. They make amazing necks. Really all you're doing in that case is bolting stuff together. I've never done a glue-in neck with Warmoth.

PGK assembly was crazy easy. Put in glue, shove neck in, clamp it overnight. That's it. All the angles are perfect. Great fretwork. Just the normal wiring & set-up.

I have finished about 6 or 7 bodies over the years all using spray cans from Stewmac or Reranch. If you take your time they can come out quite nice. Taking your time is the really key part. Both with waiting for the nitro (or whatever paint you use) to cure and then the sanding. Endless rounds of very careful wetsanding. If you're new to it, there is a bit of a learning curve.

Comment

I make my own tele bodies and use warmoth necks. They make amazing necks. Really all you're doing in that case is bolting stuff together. I've never done a glue-in neck with Warmoth.

PGK assembly was crazy easy. Put in glue, shove neck in, clamp it overnight. That's it. All the angles are perfect. Great fretwork. Just the normal wiring & set-up.

I have finished about 6 or 7 bodies over the years all using spray cans from Stewmac or Reranch. If you take your time they can come out quite nice. Taking your time is the really key part. Both with waiting for the nitro (or whatever paint you use) to cure and then the sanding. Endless rounds of very careful wetsanding. If you're new to it, there is a bit of a learning curve.

There’s no measuring, right? With the tenon fully in the slot it’s ready to intonate? Considering a little and having it professionally finished (in a color like Candy Purple or something that you can’t get outside of the Gibson custom shop).
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

you legit do nothing other than glue & clamp. All the holes for tuners, bridge, etc. are all there for you. Just put it together. The hardest parts are finishing & wiring.

If you search enough you can find a video that PGK put out showing how to set the neck. It's kinda hilarious cuz that's all it is.......glue it.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
              Worth the price.
              Stew Mac makes amp kits, electric guitar kits, acoustic kits, banjo kits, ukelele kits, bazoooki kits, speaker cab kits, pedal kits, rack gear kits, tool kits etc etc

What kind of kit are you referring to?
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                I'll look for a strat type body on sale or close out and plan on doing a lot of work to it. I've already got pickups for it, too.
                Ah, got it.... electric guitar kit...

I'd say here is your challenge -Electric guitar manufacturers spend a tone of time mixing pickups, woods, parts etc etc to come up with a look and sound that has some defining distinction..... and when you buy a kit, often they come out great but a little on the vanilla side with regards to distinction -sort of like Peavey Guitars and Amps in 80s and 90s.

So if you buy a kit, plan on experimenting with multiple pickups, and other components to get it to that next level IMO
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

you legit do nothing other than glue & clamp. All the holes for tuners, bridge, etc. are all there for you. Just put it together. The hardest parts are finishing & wiring.

If you search enough you can find a video that PGK put out showing how to set the neck. It's kinda hilarious cuz that's all it is.......glue it.
                  Thankfully they do such a great job with the routing and matching the necks to the bodies that there is zero wiggle room once the neck tenon is in there.

I'll be finishing my second PGK build this spring. It's ready for paint. Still working on my spray skills with the spray gun and then I'll have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Stew Mac makes amp kits, electric guitar kits, acoustic kits, banjo kits, ukelele kits, bazoooki kits, speaker cab kits, pedal kits, rack gear kits, tool kits etc etc

What kind of kit are you referring to?
                    Haha. Pretty much just guitars but it should apply to any of it, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X