$1100 for an Epi "Lazarus" LP really ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

The dude in my OP was trying to extort $200 from the retail price.
    Its all Marketing Bro.
    They do it because they can.
    The dude in your OP was trying to extract current market value for his instrument based on what others are selling theirs for. Retail price doesn't matter, because it was a limited run and you can no longer buy it at retail. If you want that particular model, you have no choice but to pay over the original retail price...at least right now.

That's a fundamental economic concept called "supply and demand". Of course, you DON'T want that model, so you're not part of the "demand" piece of that equation.

Nonetheless, viewing it as if the dude is trying to screw you over is pretty narrow-sighted, IMO. If you jumped on something while it was available and found out the value had quickly risen after it was no longer available, you'd surely scoff at people trying to "low ball" you in the same way. It's all in how you frame it.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

The dude in your OP was trying to extract current market value for his instrument based on what others are selling theirs for. Retail price doesn't matter, because it was a limited run and you can no longer buy it at retail. If you want that particular model, you have no choice but to pay over the original retail price...at least right now.

That's a fundamental economic concept called "supply and demand". Of course, you DON'T want that model, so you're not part of the "demand" piece of that equation.

Nonetheless, viewing it as if the dude is trying to screw you over is pretty narrow-sighted, IMO. If you jumped on something while it was available and found out the value had quickly risen after it was no longer available, you'd surely scoff at people trying to "low ball" you in the same way. It's all in how you frame it.
      Wrong, a] thats not the "current CL market" in these parts & b] he made that price up in his head.
      Precisely why its so absurd.
      And c] retail price does matter or there would be no "Reverb".
      "Supply & demand" doesn't give folks license to price gouge & rip people off and there are Federal & State laws to protect buyers.
      His guitar hasn't sold and it won't i see that guy & others all the time with overpriced junk and he's a weirdo to boot.
      There's about a dozen regular flippers that peddle crap guitars every week.
      So again : At what point do we end up paying $2500+ for a Chinese Epiphone ?
      Nobody seems to want to answer that.
      Last edited by JMP/HBE; 02-04-2022, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Wrong, a] thats not the "current CL market" in these parts & b] he made that price up in his head.
        Precisely why its so absurd.
        And c] retail price does matter or there would be no "Reverb".
        "Supply & demand" doesn't give folks license to price gouge & rip people off and there are Federal & State laws to protect buyers.
        His guitar hasn't sold and it won't i see that guy & others all the time with overpriced junk and he's a weirdo to boot.
        There's about a dozen regular flippers that peddle crap guitars every week.
        So again : At what point do we end up paying $2500+ for a Chinese Epiphone ?
        Nobody seems to want to answer that.
        How much is a pair of glasses and some "how to use the internet" classes "in those parts"?

Tell me more about how Reverb is only retail and that dude made up the price "in his head"...here's a screenshot of current Reverb listings for that guitar:

If we're being honest, $1100 might be a good deal...you should jump on it and list it on retail-friendly Reverb for $1800 or more!!!

Comment

i was unaware this was a jb thing. the jb epiphones ive played have been pretty damn good, gotta say. not sure if they are worth what people are asking but who knows

Comment

How much is a pair of glasses and some "how to use the internet" classes "in those parts"?

Tell me more about how Reverb is only retail and that dude made up the price "in his head"...here's a screenshot of current Reverb listings for that guitar:

If we're being honest, $1100 might be a good deal...you should jump on it and list it on retail-friendly Reverb for $1800 or more!!!

Well then looks like $2000 Chinese Epi's are here to stay at least til the bubble bursts.
            Reminds me of 1991 when Grunge killed Rock [for good].

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/jWi8VNX4hhdeS4o6i5" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/Spiegelworld-absinthe-vegas-absinthevegas-jWi8VNX4hhdeS4o6i5">via GIPHY</a></p>

Comment

Nice "blanket statement" you try to lump me inoto fitting your narriative. I DO know wtf im talking about and again i ask how'd we go from paying $300 to $1200 for Chinese Epi's just cuz Joe B rubbed his nards on it ?
              I had an Epi "Custom Shop" 335 was nice but only paid $350. Come to find out Epiphone CS is just a marketing term their isn't really an Epi CS.
              And the "inspired by Gibson" 61 SG/LP i had for $450 [had to by a case $100] was a really well done guitar including the Epi Pro Buckers but again no $1200 guitar.
              Whats next $3200 "Custom Historic VOS Epiphone's" ?
              Laugh at me all you want but Epi China are already in the $1000 to $15000 range.
              Oh man, the 335 is truly gorgeous!!!!
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

He doesn't have any

The reality is that Epiphone has always been a decent brand, but suffers from a track record of cheaping out on hardware and electronics. That's less the case these days and their offerings are reasonably competitive with those from most other brands today.

An Indonesian-made ESP LTD with the same "veneer" is $900 now. A comparable Korean-made Schecter STARTS at $1K and goes up from there.

Sure, there are some great playing guitars to be found in the $300-$500 range, but the $800-$900 Epis aren't really overpriced, relatively speaking.
                Totally agree.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Why would anyone pay $1100 to $1800 for an Epi when you can buy a Gibson USA for $800 to $1200 ?
                  Does Gibson/Epiphone really think people are that stupid ?
                  IDK, maybe they are ?
                  Do folks really buy stuff because it has the Joe B. spermazoa on it ?
                  Last edited by JMP/HBE; 02-05-2022, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I think that's the thing to note in all this. When the first Epiphone LP Custom came out in 1988-89, it retailed for around $600. That price stayed pretty consistent for about 30 years, even though that kind of money generally bought less and less over time due to inflation.

During that broad period, the guitars themselves didn't really change in any significant way,
                    That's the Epiphone I know and remember. Remember late 80's seeing a Les Paul on the wall in the guitar store but with a funny headstock. Found out that Epiphone was Gibson's budget brand.

Anderton's says:

"Fierce competitors in the archtop guitar market throughout the '30s and '40s, Epiphone was later acquired by Gibson in 1957. Essentially becoming Gibson's œbudget brand"

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/labs/gi...iphone-guitars

Last edited by LLL; 02-05-2022, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Ah, excuse me, but who's this "Joe Bananamasser" guy and what's he doing with Epiphany?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                        Ah, excuse me, but who's this "Joe Bananamasser" guy and what's he doing with Epiphany?

If you go to the OP, he is the guy trying to sell JMP/HBE this guitar.
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Comment

Calhoun Tubbs plays a Gibson ...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X