No announcement yet.

Steve Vai's Green Meanie Charvel ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny how the meanie never achieved iconic status Frankenstrat did and that no one ever really attempted to make a clone of it, given that Steve can literally play Eruption with hammer-ons and pull-offs with his left hand while flipping EVH off with his right hand.

And let's not forget that he effectively toppled EVH from his virtuoso status (not that he was ever one, compared to shredders of his era) and with his joining DLR that just added salt to the wound.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
      The truth is the meanie was a1980 Strat in natural his mom bought. I am not making this up. This guitar was the one he extensively used in Zappa band.

If it had been a Charvel from Grover Jackson Steve woulda gone with Jackson not Ibanez. That would've make more sense. At that time MIJ guitars were second-class citizens just like MII or MIC today.
      Fake News ...

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	dan2_zpsec00188f.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	6153107
        Funny how the meanie never achieved iconic status Frankenstrat did and that no one ever really attempted to make a clone of it, given that Steve can literally play Eruption with hammer-ons and pull-offs with his left hand while flipping EVH off with his right hand.

And let's not forget that he effectively toppled EVH from his virtuoso status (not that he was ever one, compared to shredders of his era) and with his joining DLR that just added salt to the wound.
        https://reverb.com/item/50819097-cha...BoCCqgQAvD_BwE

EVH never "toppled" Vai IDK WTF you're talking about.
        Vai was on the cover of every Guitar magazine for 40 years. Im no flag waving Vai fan but give credit where due.
        Each completely different styles of music & gear.
        And DLR eat em & smile topped the charts while Ed was pretending to be a cover band with Van Hagar.
        Both your 2 posts are total fiction & conjecture.
        As for guitars ive always loved made in Japan guitars i have many and been attracted to Steve's guitars by contrast other than the Wolfgang Ed's Frank guitars have never appealed to be and look like junk.
        I love Ed as a player but he never took care of his gear, cigarette burns ect, he seemed to be a slob.
        The Green Meanie died an early death and with no internet how would you have ever seen it back in the 80's & 90's ?
        Last edited by JMP/HBE; 02-20-2022, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Steve Vai performs "Tender Surrender" from the DVD "Alien Love Secrets" featuring full-length performance videos of every song from the "Alien Love Secrets" ...

cont. : Vai has done his own thing all his career and some of his music may not be my cup of tea but the things he's done with Tony McAlpine & Dave Weiner are legendary.
          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 02-20-2022, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

I think he meant it the other way round: Vai toppled EVH.

(It's actually his only decent post since... well.. forever, I almost gave him a 'like'. )

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

I think he meant it the other way round: Vai toppled EVH.
              That's how I read it also.

Comment

Vai was on the cover of every Guitar magazine for 40 years. Im no flag waving Vai fan but give credit where due.
                Each completely different styles of music & gear.
                And DLR eat em & smile topped the charts while Ed was pretending to be a cover band with Van Hagar.
                Both your 2 posts are total fiction & conjecture.
                As for guitars ive always loved made in Japan guitars i have many and been attracted to Steve's guitars by contrast other than the Wolfgang Ed's Frank guitars have never appealed to be and look like junk.
                I love Ed as a player but he never took care of his gear, cigarette burns ect, he seemed to be a slob.
                The Green Meanie died an early death and with no internet how would you have ever seen it back in the 80's & 90's ?
                Did you not just corroborate my point of view? Lol... Do you drink a lot cause I don't, not even beer.

Yes, Vai has graced magazine cover for the last 40 years despite the onslaught of younger and in some cases more skillful players like Guthrie Govan (this dude again wtf?) or Kiko Loureiro and who knows who millenials worship these days. And f**k...even Tony Macalpine served as his ***** for like a decade or so.

Comment

Did you not just corroborate my point of view? Lol... Do you drink a lot cause I don't, not even beer.

Yes, Vai has graced magazine cover for the last 40 years despite the onslaught of younger and in some cases more skillful players like Guthrie Govan (this dude again wtf?) or Kiko Loureiro and who knows who millenials worship these days. And f**k...even Tony Macalpine served as his ***** for like a decade or so.
                  okay as long as were on the same page but don't let it happen again LOL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comment

The truth is the meanie was a1980 Strat in natural his mom bought. I am not making this up. This guitar was the one he extensively used in Zappa band.
                    The Strat is not the Green Meanie. In the picture, you can see that the input jacks are not in the same place. The Green Meanie had the jack on the bottom, The Strat had a custom plate on top. Vai played the Strat his mother got him with the Zappa band. Seeing he only had one guitar Zappa lent him the Burnt Hendrix strat for a backup on the first few tours. The Green Meanie came later.

Comment

Here is Steve with the Green Meanie before the Charvel logo was removed and it was covered with stickers.

Here is Steve with the Strat

Comment

^^ cool pic, before the Floyd was added.

Mm, the 'Sticker' Strat was never repainted from its original natural gloss. Apart from the pu and hardware mods, another obvious difference is the 21 fret neck vs the GM's 22.
                        Originally posted by dominus
                        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

For the record, Frank Zappa hated the tone of the Vai sticker Fender Strat. He told Vai his tone sounded like "An electric ham sandwich".

Comment

If it had been a Charvel from Grover Jackson Steve woulda gone with Jackson not Ibanez. That would've make more sense. At that time MIJ guitars were second-class citizens just like MII or MIC today.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	CbCs7-_UcAAewEH.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	6153179

GM had a Basswood body, Fender never made a Straocaster w/a Basswood body. The guitar was a Grover Jackson Charvel.

Comment

GM had a Basswood body, Fender never made a Straocaster w/a Basswood body. The guitar was a Grover Jackson Charvel.
                              No reason to even debate this anymore just looking at the headstocks it is obvious the Green Meanie is not his Strat. It is a Charvel.

Comment

The truth is the meanie was a1980 Strat in natural his mom bought. I am not making this up. This guitar was the one he extensively used in Zappa band..
                                Care to substantiate?
                                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                                X