Les Paul Locking Tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I really like the Schaller M6 tuners on my EBMM. With a well designed floating trem, and strings following a straight, short path over a well cut nut to tuners without excessive wraps, it stays in tune better than my fixed bridge guitars.

Also, string changes are really quick.
    I agree with all of this. The smaller headstock contributes to the stability, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Of course not. But a well cut nut and a well set up bridge can only benefit from a great set of tuners. I think it is more about the sum of the parts more than one component.
      It’s 100% about the sum. That’s what I was getting at with my post about the EBMM. I’m really curious to see how it works without the straight string path on your LP.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thank you all for the input. The locking tuners are not about tuning stability. I want them for faster string changes.
        2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
        2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
        2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
          Thank you all for the input. The locking tuners are not about tuning stability. I want them for faster string changes.
          They will help with tuning stability, as well. Not having wraps around the post will always help that.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Of course not. But a well cut nut and a well set up bridge can only benefit from a great set of tuners. I think it is more about the sum of the parts more than one component.
            For sure.

Comment

I’m really curious to see how it works without the straight string path on your LP.
              My Icemen are both 3 per side tuners. I have Sperzel locking tuners on both guitars. One has a Kahler the other has a Bibsby with no locking nuts. I have great tuning stability on both guitars. For this reason, I am looking to put them on my Les Pauls. Especially the Custom with the Bigsby.

Comment

My Icemen are both 3 per side tuners. I have Sperzel locking tuners on both guitars. One has a Kahler the other has a Bibsby with no locking nuts. I have great tuning stability on both guitars. For this reason, I am looking to put them on my Les Pauls. Especially the Custom with the Bigsby.
                That looks a lot closer to straight than a Gibson.

Comment

That looks a lot closer to straight than a Gibson.
                  Definitely. It is closer to a Marauder headstock than a Les Paul. There is a little angle. But as I have said my experience has been 100% positive. So why not give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                    3 things I like about the Grover locking tuners:

1. They weigh more than stock tuners which gives a noticeable amount of sustain.
                    2. They stay in tune so much better than the stock Gibson ones. (Which are the only tuners that I've ever really had issues with)
                    3. They look 100x better than those plastic green vintage tuners Gibson puts on everything.... F those things! Ha ha.
                    1. Also causes neck dive.
                    2. Never had a problem with Klusons
                    3. Subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                      3 things I like about the Grover locking tuners:

1. They weigh more than stock tuners which gives a noticeable amount of sustain.
                      2. They stay in tune so much better than the stock Gibson ones. (Which are the only tuners that I've ever really had issues with)
                      3. They look 100x better than those plastic green vintage tuners Gibson puts on everything.... F those things! Ha ha.
                      While I don't like the look of Grovers, I hate the plastic look of vintage Klusons more.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Usually use Gotoh Magnums if I am putting lockers on
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I was going to get a set of the Gotoh Magnums for my Classic Vibe Strat but they're out where I looked. Then I came across the Grover 505 FV Roto-Grip series that fit the vintage Kluson style holes and mount screw pattern. Perfect fit. One of the stock screw holes was drilled off-center from the factory on the neck so I had to redrill just that one. They are nice and smooth. Don't look bad either.

I like the Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob tuners too. Had them on another neck. Unlocking was done from the top but stringing up was pretty simple. Line the hole up, string through and then use a string winder and it'll lock as it turns. Took some getting used to.

I like the idea of drop-in replacements without having to enlarge holes and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X