No announcement yet.

Entry level quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so here is a question regarding quality and country of origin.

The heirarchy is (used to be?) USA/Japan, Korea, Mexico/Indonesia, China. I have guitars on my wall made in all these countries. I have enjoyed all of them. The "better" guitars are more attractive, have higher quality finishes, better hardware. The Chinese guitar required more work/repairs when new, and the tolerances were not tight (misaligned pickup ring, other issues) yet the fretwork was surprisingly good. My Indonesia LTD, I can't tell a difference in construction quality compared to the Korean, although the hardware is a lower tier and the finish is more basic.

What about any particular country of origin correlates to quality? Presumably, if Chinese builders were given the same money to build higher quality instuments, they could surpass the other countries? In fact, because their labor costs are lower, if they had the same budget as say Japanese builders, they could theoretically turn out better instruments.

My hunch is that country of origin is still a major selling point that the buyer factors into his purchase, even though it doesn't necessarily correlate with quality. IOW, guitars are still made in these more expensive locations because buyers would not pay a high price for Chinese instruments, even if it resulted in better product.

I do believe in "buy american" and that globalization has undermined prosperity of the middle classes in most nations. So I'm not particularly fond of buying Chinese products given current geopolitics, but I also realize they could build top quality guitars at prices lower than usa/japan if they were so inclined (they manufacture smart phones, which is orders of magnitude more difficult.)

Comment

Eastman makes guitars in China and every one I've played has been exceptional.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
        OK, so here is a question regarding quality and country of origin.

The heirarchy is (used to be?) USA/Japan, Korea, Mexico/Indonesia, China. I have guitars on my wall made in all these countries. I have enjoyed all of them. The "better" guitars are more attractive, have higher quality finishes, better hardware. The Chinese guitar required more work/repairs when new, and the tolerances were not tight (misaligned pickup ring, other issues) yet the fretwork was surprisingly good. My Indonesia LTD, I can't tell a difference in construction quality compared to the Korean, although the hardware is a lower tier and the finish is more basic.

What about any particular country of origin correlates to quality? Presumably, if Chinese builders were given the same money to build higher quality instuments, they could surpass the other countries? In fact, because their labor costs are lower, if they had the same budget as say Japanese builders, they could theoretically turn out better instruments.

My hunch is that country of origin is still a major selling point that the buyer factors into his purchase, even though it doesn't necessarily correlate with quality. IOW, guitars are still made in these more expensive locations because buyers would not pay a high price for Chinese instruments, even if it resulted in better product.

I do believe in "buy american" and that globalization has undermined prosperity of the middle classes in most nations. So I'm not particularly fond of buying Chinese products given current geopolitics, but I also realize they could build top quality guitars at prices lower than usa/japan if they were so inclined (they manufacture smart phones, which is orders of magnitude more difficult.)
        I would argue that for every USA and Japanese mass built guitar brand you love the build of, I can show you an Indonesian or Chinese guitar of pretty much equal quality now.

I think component selection is the real differentiator at this point for any major brand -not the workmanship -as CNC tech and the experience of the finishing luthiers in these factories oversees have enough time under their belt to deliver a quality guitar.

The same applies now as always, there are variations and feels with every guitar in a lot, pick the one that feels and sounds your favorite.

I guess part of the reason I more often buy the expensive stuff now is that I have more money than time to vet and research, whereas when I was younger I had more time than money -so finding the awesome cheaper things made more sense. Now I pay a little more to skip some of that process.
        Last edited by NegativeEase; 04-16-2022, 02:45 PM.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I would argue that for every USA and Japanese mass built guitar brand you love the build of, I can show you an Indonesian or Chinese guitar of pretty much equal quality now.
          I whole-heartily agree with this statement. The country of origin is irrelevant. There are great and bad products made in every country, including the USA. There are talented craftsmen and luthiers everywhere, in every country.

Comment

Imports are generally not as ‘good’ by design, especially if they’re budget lines of bigger name brands. I’m fairly sure the biggest reason things have gotten so much better at the lower end of the price range is cnc.
            Last edited by formula73; 04-16-2022, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Except that you're not arguing with me, you're agreeing with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Except that you're not arguing with me, you're agreeing with me.
                Yeah, I meant to support your statement
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I am keeping my MIJ guitars as investment. In 10 years all guitars will be either made in Indonesia or Vietnam. You will have to pay custom shop price for a mid range one that used to cost only 600.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                    I am keeping my MIJ guitars as investment. In 10 years all guitars will be either made in Indonesia or Vietnam. You will have to pay custom shop price for a mid range one that used to cost only 600.

Cool

Comment

I’m bass in a sludgy stoner rock band and I talked my guitarist into a new bridge pickup to cut the hum.

These guitars are $300 brand new and have a double action truss rod. I don’t even play guitar anymore and I want one. Mind blown.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by formula73; 04-23-2022, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                        I’m bass in a sludgy stoner rock band and I talked my guitarist into a new bridge pickup to cut the hum.

These guitars are $300 brand new and have a double action truss rod. I don’t even play guitar anymore and I want one. Mind blown.
                        Well, if someone found it in the trash, and gave it to me, like my Squire, sure, I'd play it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          Well, if someone found it in the trash, and gave it to me, like my Squire, sure, I'd play it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                          Squier

Comment

Working...
                          X