Your #1 Ibanez Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your #1 Ibanez Guitar

All of you Ibanez players, which is your #1 guitar?

I own 12 Ibanez guitars, mostly RGs, but I also have a few S series and a Artcore. All are great players. If I had to pick just one as my favorite #1 guitar it would have to be the 2nd one I ever bought back in 2002. It's also my most played. Made in Korea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220411_071027.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	6165103

Gee.... tall order, since I've owned so many since the 70's and still own quite a selection of them (guitars and basses). Right now it's a tossup between my AS73 loaded with Antiquities and my Paul Gilbert Mikro.

Name:	HJnTTD0.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	6165105 Click image for larger version

Name:	zTXsEEB.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	6165106

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Picking just one of my Ibanezs is a "Sophie's Choice". If I had to pick, it would be my 1980 MIJ Iceman. It is finished in automotive black urethane my buddy sprayed it in his autobody shop. It has a Dimebucker/Jazz set with splitting on each pickup and a phase switch. A Kahler hybrid tremelo, Spezel lockng tuners. The guitar is a beast for hard rock and metal. However, with the switching and pickup configuration, I can play almost anything on the guitar.

Comment

I currently only have one Ibanez, its my 95 Iceman. It was a pre-release lets test the waters release to test the waters to see if there was enough interest to bring the Iceman back into production. What I have read, these were a limited run of between 500-800 guitars. It was built with a wider than average binding and the body was a bit smaller than the traditional Iceman as it was intended as a Japanese release. It has a Distortion in the bridge and a Black Winter neck, neck is thicker than I generally like on a guitar but it fits me like a glove.

Used to own an older RG-570 but sadly it was stolen, loved that guitar as well.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
          I currently only have one Ibanez, its my 95 Iceman. It was a pre-release lets test the waters release to test the waters to see if there was enough interest to bring the Iceman back into production. What I have read, these were a limited run of between 500-800 guitars. It was built with a wider than average binding and the body was a bit smaller than the traditional Iceman as it was intended as a Japanese release. It has a Distortion in the bridge and a Black Winter neck, neck is thicker than I generally like on a guitar but it fits me like a glove.

Used to own an older RG-570 but sadly it was stolen, loved that guitar as well.
          Is that a thing? They make guitars for Japanese people smaller? Say it isn't so.

That reminds me of Avatar cabs from years back. The cabs apparently were dimensioned to reduce shipping costs, so your avatar 4x12 was something like 7/8th sized of a normal 4x12.

Comment

The pic is not the greatest, but it is my DT420.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Securb's sparkly Iceman gets me every time. Total hardcore psychobilly machine.

I have a couple of oldies, which I love. #1 is definitely my PL though. Pretty customized but better than stock, imo. Been hoping to get some other models in the range but some are quite rare and prices are through the roof nowadays (think they cost as much as they did new!).

Name:	IMG_2991.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	6165165
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

The last Ibeenhad I had was in 1989 I think. RG somethin somethin (550?). Low end. Red with black hardware & with the "Edge" trem IIRC.

I got it as a backup guitar.

I brought it to my buddy's auto shop and used various power tools on it, including drilling a big hole all the way through for a giant nut and bolt.

After awhile, that "wafer-thin" neck just started warping.

It became firewood.

I've never jived with the Ibeenhad style, look or feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                  Is that a thing? They make guitars for Japanese people smaller? Say it isn't so.
                  If so, I doubt it's because people are smaller, but because storage space and carrying it on trains/taxis, etc. would be easier.

Comment

The only Ibanez I own at the moment is an XPIR20E "Xiphos". Seriously cool guitar, but it didn't make the cut into my "Top 5", so I'll be selling it as soon as I get it back from the movers.

I had a great playing RG7321 7-string also, but decided to cannibalize the neck for a different project that I'll be completing once I get moved into my new place in a few weeks.

My absolute favorite Ibanez, though, was my first guitar (which I stupidly sold), which was a limited run 1990 RG570 with the square heel, maple fretboard, metallic "sunset burst" finish, and original Edge bridge. That was the first guitar I ever tried Duncans in! SO much rock in that thing!

Unfortunately, I have very few pics of it and the ones I do have were taken when I sold it about 17 years ago and don't show off the finish very well (those were the early days of "digital" cameras):

Comment

I've had a lot of Ibzs, and really liked all of them, the rootbeer JEM in my avatar was my favorite ever, probably favorite guitar ever, I miss it. Unfortunately they are rare and at stupid prices now days if you can find them, so it's pretty much irreplaceable.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

That reminds me of Avatar cabs from years back. The cabs apparently were dimensioned to reduce shipping costs, so your avatar 4x12 was something like 7/8th sized of a normal 4x12.
                        Yep it was a thing for this release since the stature of the Japanese is smaller and meant only as a Japanese release. Its not drastically smaller than the regular released ones, probably less than an inch or so.

It still looks and feels like a big guitar and doesnt look tiny against my 6'4", 230+ frame.
                        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                        Jackson Soloist 7 string
                        ESP LTD M-400
                        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

The 520QS was one of the best models of the mid-late 90s they made.

I like that metallicy 570, bit of a rare one indeed.

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                          The last Ibeenhad I had was in 1989 I think. RG somethin somethin (550?). Low end. Red with black hardware & with the "Edge" trem IIRC.

I got it as a backup guitar.

I brought it to my buddy's auto shop and used various power tools on it, including drilling a big hole all the way through for a giant nut and bolt.

After awhile, that "wafer-thin" neck just started warping.

It became firewood.

I've never jived with the Ibeenhad style, look or feel.
                          Yeah, they still had flat sawn necks at that point, iirc. Not long after that they switched to qs, and then to multi-laminate in the mid-90s onwards. Cracks by the locking nut bolts are also common.

Think if someone wants a 550, they should get a new Genesis, it has a few upgrades, like a better built neck. Vintage ones may have mojo, but may need elbow grease.
                          Originally posted by dominus
                          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

The older ones had slightly thicker necks, which I liked better, the new ones are just under 5/8" thick. They play great, but a little thicker would be nice IMHO, granted they haven't called to ask my opinion so I'm not holding my brreath.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

I always found the Wizard II to be very comfortable. My 270DX has it. Refin with Tru Oil and pro level-and-dress, it is a nice player.
                              That's what my #1 has. Wizard ll.

Comment

Working...
                              X