What makes a Telecaster a Telecaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a Telecaster a Telecaster?

What exactly makes it so different, both playing and sounding.

I don't mean how the pickups sound, I mean the attack, full note, the sustain, etc etc

Comment

Of course, the type of pup used, it's a bit different than a Strat type single coil. But also how the pup is mounted to the bridge plate instead of a mounting ring or direct mount.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

IME "the attack, full note, the sustain" is the result of
        • pickup construction (metal baseplate on the bridge, metal cover on the neck)
        • bridge construction (brass saddles on a metal baseplate, with strings anchored through the body)
        • body construction (solid thick plank of wood, minimal routing, not contoured or missing any wood)
        • neck construction (solid neck, bolted on, with a longer scale than Gibson types)

Comment

I have a solid mahogany bodied guitar with maple neck, 24.75" scale and hardtail (with strat style individual string saddles). It's got two low output strat pickups in neck and mid and a tele bridge. I wired the 5 way so that you can get neck and bridge as well as bridge sounds.

Sounds exactly like any other twangy tele I've ever heard.

So I'm going to say that the pickups (particularly the bridge) matter the most, the fixed bridge itself matters a little bit, and the scale/woods used maybe just a tiny hint as far as sound goes.

As far as playing goes though - traditional teles suck donkey balls. Upper fret access isn't good, necks are often too narrow and have too small a radius, intonation with a traditional tele bridge is sketchy, they come with smaller frets, and there's no reason whatsoever to not contour the body other than laziness. Plus they look like crap. This makes sense as it was designed by a guy who couldn't play guitar to be cheap to produce - not an instrument that would be good to play.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The pickup itself and the fact that it is mounted to the bridge is the major factor, IMO. I've played Tele's with half an ashtray bridge or a Strat hardtail and they don't have the same twang.

I have tried many times over the years to get a long with the Tele shape but it doesn't work. I like the idea of a Strat body, Tele bridge and controls, 24.75" scale, Esquire style. All the comfort I like in a Strat, the short scale I like on a Les Paul, and a sweet Tele bridge pickup.

Comment

Besides being shaped like a Telecaster my Teles have very little "Telecaster" left in them. Both have humbuckers and Babicz bridges. Great sounding players but very far from a Telecaster.

Comment

Depends on what you want it to be. Bridge, body, pickups, tone, saddles, whatever. I have 2 Teles - one with traditional bridge/single coils/humongous neck, one with Strat bridge/WRHBs/tiny neck. Both sound like Telecasters. The response is immediate unlike my Strat where there's a bit of squish.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Well :/

It's gotta be hard to make it sound good. It should be stiff, like a plank; and the brigde pickup rather piercing.

hehe.

-E
                  If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I think it comes down to the pickups and the bridge. Teles without the traditional pickups and bridge don't sound like Teles. They sound like generic 'Fenders'.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I think it comes down to the pickups and the bridge. Teles without the traditional pickups and bridge don't sound like Teles. They sound like generic 'Fenders'.
                      Yep, swap a Strat’s bridge from the synchronized tremolo to a plate style bridge and swap the pickups and you are there IMO. Add in a the vintage style bridge (over modern) for a little extra spank.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        I have a Super Distortion in my Tele it sounds nothing like a Fender.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          I have a Super Distortion in my Tele it sounds nothing like a Fender.
                          Bet it sounds a lot like a superdistortion though. :P
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                            You can do a two-beat pop song with a five-second fill on fiddle, but that doesnt make it country.
                            Taylor Swift and her Swifties would like a word.

Actually probably not. Maren Morris? Kelsey Ballerini?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X