custom shop guitar issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom shop guitar issue

Hi! I have a semi-custom guitar which I designed & ordered in December, & it reached me this week. Between the final photos they emailed me & the guitar which reached my hands, there appeared a 1/2-cm round 1-mm deep gouge which cuts through the finish & into the binding. The guitar was ~$2700, & they're offering $200 refund. I am in the process of shopping for guitar repair experts in my neighborhood to see what can be done. My question here is if there is a prospect of it being repaired to brand-new condition without compromising the value which I expected.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Is it a solid finish, or clear? Solid you can almost certainly have it fixed undetectably. Clear it depends on whether or not the wood itself has been gouged, or if it's just in the clear coat.

Either way, 200$ seems a little low for refund.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

the value drops as soon as you you buy the guitar. its new, then is isnt. a pic of the injury would help but $200 seems low for sure. was the packaging it arrived in damaged at all?

Comment

Post a few pics of this...I wanna see the pics they sent you and what you actually got.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This is a photo they sent me, a month before it reached me.
          Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

This is as soon as I unwrapped it.

I am sure they'll work with me a little more on reimbrsement, but I'm concerned if the repair can be done well enough to hide the damage. I totally understand if the value drops from ownership, but how much of the value drops due to damage?
            Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

And the shipping box has a superficial scratch on it, but the guitar was shipped within a padded gigbag which doesn't show any damage or sharp piece which could have caused this damage. They seem like they would be nice about finding a resolution, but it is hugely disappointing to order a brand new guitar to be build from scratch, spend this kind of money, wait 7 months, and then end up with something busted.
              Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Somebody in their shop fatfingered thingie and they should pay (more) for that.

Comment

seems like that might be able to be fixed so its not noticeable

Comment

Can we get more pics of that guitar? Looks awesome!

Agreed, that looks like a clear coat chip over the binding and could probably be made less noticeable without much effort

Still, I would expect a blem-free guitar at that price and 10% off would be the minimum I would accept if it were me.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      seems like that might be able to be fixed so its not noticeable
                      Yep, that should be fixable so that nobody ever knew that it was there. If the cost of the fix is more than 200$ though, then OP should return the guitar.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Oh, a Balaguer! I should have known when you said "semi-custom"

Great looking guitar. How do you like the rest of it?

I had a semi-custom idea of my own in mind...an Espada 7-string with Hipshot trem and rustic white finish!

Comment

It's a stunning instrument, and it will need a couple tiny tweaks of the setup. Even the repair guy was like, "Wow, this is a beautiful guitar!" They have been really nice to deal with while waiting for the guitar to be built over the past 7 months.
                          Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I have to say, that is one cool guitar. I would ask them to take care of that, though.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Spalted maple? Looks like a cross between Ethan Hart and Pete Crossley build.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X