Floating tremolo block damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating tremolo block damage

Is it possible that a guitar can break because you block the floating bridge?

I guess if you've kept the bar in and kept trying to use it, maybe.

Comment

'break', like crack the body? It takes some force to break a guitar in the first place. I can't picture a simple blocked floating bridge providing that much force. But I could be wrong.

Comment

Post some pix, please - so we can assess this damage.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Agreed. I'm intrigued by this one! Pics or it didn't happen

Comment

It didn’t happen. I’m just asking if it’s possible that it could happen.

Comment

No, unless the guitar takes a hit so bad as to crack the body. Even if you try to use the bar while it is blocked, the worst that can happen is the bar snaps off in the block.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So in other words, you're just wasting our time. Thanks.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne27 View Post
                  It didn’t happen. I’m just asking if it’s possible that it could happen.
                  I imagine under enough stress a cheap trem block could crack, one of the skinny potmetal ones.
                  But i can't see it breaking the wood body. Really soft wood like paulownia might deform a bit.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

If it's blocked for dive only it will be fine. If it's completely blocked the guitar is broke. At least I would consider it broke.

Comment

In order to apply enough force to the blocked bridge to physically crack/break/damage the body of the guitar via the trem cavity, you would have to be intentionally trying to break the guitar. Otherwise, no.

Comment

Nope. A blocked trem is pretty much the same as a fixed bridge. It would take the same damage to break a fixed bridge guitar as one with a blocked trem.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                        X