Best Destroyer for the $?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Destroyer for the $?

Hey guys.. sold off all my short scales and need to get something back in the pack. I've mainly played SGs but I've enjoyed messing with destroyers over the years I'm think it might be time to give one a try

With that in mind, I'm looking for the best value on an original style destroyer for rock and blues. I play through traditional Marshall and fender style amps.

I haven't been impressed by Gibson in decades and not sure about Epiphone, so I'm probably looking at everything else, unless you guys can think of a particularly good example.

And it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I love D profiles... Every destroyer I've ever played had a thin neck but I'm just starting my search and I'm open to any and all thoughts.
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Looks cool, real cheap. Nice base to upgrade something. HBs have a great reputation for quality for the price.

Good luck in your search!
    Electric Guitar Tribute Series, Mahogany body, Mahogany neck, Set-in neck attachment, Amaranth fretboard, White dot fretboard inlays, Slim Taper C neck profile - Thickness at the 12th fret: 25 mm, Fretboard radius: 381...
    The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Wow, that's a lot a lot less than I was thinking.. but I have heard good things about Harley Benton. And it gets good reviews and it sounds close to a d style!... but I could easily go up to 800 if that gets me more options.

Much thanks!
      Last edited by zionstrat; 09-08-2022, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Woah, with 800 you have options man. You can get this thing brand new, upgrade whatever you want and have cash to spare, OR if you're NA based, and have a smidge of patience browsing used stuff, CL and such, I'm sure you can get as close as it gets to the real deal.

Anywho, when you do get it, post pics. NGD threads are like candy shops for us kids
        The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Just get 2 Harley Bentons and still have some change left over!
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I have been looking at Explorers of late. I did look at the Harley Benton. I also looked at the ESP LTD EX-200. I haven't played either so I can not speak to the tone or quality but both are worth investigating.

Comment

How impressed do you want to be?

I'd say go Epiphone.

But - I also agree try a Harley Benton first!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Man I might get one of those HB's and Clapton the **** out of it

My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

The Dean Z '79 Mahogany is pretty cool but you have to like the headstocks obviously
                  My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I was a car is freak so I loved Dean's as a kid! Will check it out, thank you so much.

Comment

Those ads with The Cars in GP were big. I had an original E'Lite in Blueburst I kick myself for selling.
                      My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

This is my best for the $. Got this Ibanez DT420 RI from Forum Bro JeffB. I was a little worried as it has a SuperD in the bridge, and I had never owned a DiMarzio. But I figured if Ace plays them, it would be okay.

One of my low quality cell phon pics here:

And a quality pic from JeffB here:

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

This is not cheap per se, but you know you want it

https://reverb.com/item/59159861-iba...-ii-1984-black
                          Last edited by Aceman; 09-13-2022, 09:05 PM.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Dude, you're evil! Don't listen to Ace, don't listen to Ace, don't listen to Ace

And now that I've come back to my senses, I really may do the Benton... Sounds like a good stable platform to trick out and I've got a PG just sitting here :-)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                              This is my best for the $. Got this Ibanez DT420 RI from Forum Bro JeffB. I was a little worried as it has a SuperD in the bridge, and I had never owned a DiMarzio. But I figured if Ace plays them, it would be okay.

One of my low quality cell phon pics here:

And a quality pic from JeffB here:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...71#post1730571
                              Hey thanks for the suggestion.. but if I'm understanding correctly they are basswood and I'm pretty sure I would need Korina or mahogany to get the sounds I'm looking for.. but is yours basswood and what does your sound like?

Comment

Working...
                              X