• Show
Clear All

• Jazz III pick roundup

Click image for larger version

Name:	52346311215_79fe6d8b63_k.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	6195575

I've been on a pick odyssey for the past few years, trying to find the perfect plectrum.

Clockwise from the top:
    Gator Grip Jazz IIIs (must be drilled to avoid slipperiness) - Darker and a bit louder than a regular red Jazz III
    Dunlop 205 Jazztones (must be drilled to avoid slipperiness) - A little thicker and a touch narrower than a regular red Jazz III. Very smooth and fast, sounds amazing on acoustic for low string single note runs, but a little clicky when strumming.
    Kirk Hammet Jazz IIIs in sparkle purple and neon green - Maybe the tiniest touch brighter than a red Jazz III . . . for reasons I don't understand, I find them a bit less slippery too. They do feel a bit smaller because of the chunk cut out, which you may or may not like.
    Dunlop 1.0 Jazz Stubby - A bit smaller than a Jazz III, with a nice grip. Sounds kinda wimpy like a lighter pick but never gets hung up on strings. Also wears out incredibly fast.
    Dava Jazz Grips - Incredible rubber grip that is comfortable and never slips. The pick is a bit larger than a Jazz III. The tip is very hard and sounds brighter, but the main pick material bends a bit more than I like. If you choke up the grip a lot then it's usable for fast stuff . . . but I think this pick comes into it's own on acoustic rather than electric. You can grip it further back for easy non-clicky strumming and closer to the tip for articulate single note lines.
    Max Grip Red Jazz III - Everything you like about a Jazz III, but won't slip out of your hand when sweaty
    Matt Heafy Jazz III - Maybe a touch stiffer and brighter than a red Jazz III, with the awesome non-slip grip and gold sparkle.
    Regular Red Jazz III (too slippery unless you scuff 'em up with your pocket knife) - The pick that started it all
    Jazz III Tortex .073 - Sounds like a tortex pick . . . brighter but because of the smaller shape even in small sizes it doesn't flop around as much as the bigger ones do for me and can be pretty articulate. I like this for strumming on acoustic or fast funk playing on electric. Can get a little slippery, so I might end up drilling them
    Ultex Jazz III - The invisible pick! Good luck finding the damned things when dropped. Other than that, they're pretty good. Brighter tone than a red Jazz III, and feels like there might be a bit less drag when sliding over the strings when the pick is worn in. The material grips your hands much better than red nylon, so it's tolerable even without much grip on it.
    Ultex 2.0 Jazz III - This pick was disappointing. There's some sort of weird bevel going on so the picking edge actually feels thinner than the regular Ultex. I also find it to sound a bit brighter than the regular Ultex, and it doesn't seem to grip as well in the hand.
    Black Stiffo Jazz III - Tiny bit brighter than red Jazz III and tiny bit stiffer. I think the stiffness translates into a tiny bit more control. A little better grip than a regular Jazz III.
    Max Grip Carbon Fiber Jazz III - Kind of scratchy sound to it as it scrapes across the strings. Don't like it at all on acoustic or clean electric, and I swear the scratchiness slows down your picking.

Center:
    Dunlop Flow 2.0 - A bit bigger than Jazz III (about the same size as the Dava), the beveled edges have a really smooth release that feels very fast for sweeping. It's also decently grippy. If you can't get over the small size of Jazz IIIs, this is probably a good choice. Great for single note runs on acoustic, but a little clicky when strumming.

Verdict:

For electric I find myself mostly playing the red max grips most of the time, occasionally using the regular ultex for a slightly brighter sound or the Flow 2.0 because it just feels great on certain types of fast playing.

For acoustic I like the Tortex, Dava, and green Kirk Hammet Jazz IIIs for general strumming/single note playing. The Jazztone is amazing for a very particular deep sound on single note stuff, and the Ultex 2.0 would probably to brighten up a dark/boomy guitar.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I like the cf max-grip out of those, not that I've tried them all, I have not.

Their tip gets a tiny bit of wear fairly quickly, and that is when I also find them a bit scratchy too, but when they are new I find them smooth even for fast alt picking, but yeah if you use much of an angle on them they can get some scrape.

Comment

Just got some Max Grip Carbon Fiber Jazz III picks a few days ago. I like how they feel, but it's quite a shock going from Dunlop Max-Grip 1.14 picks to these little guys. I need to try more tortex picks for funk. Still searching for the right pick for tight funk rhythm.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
        Just got some Max Grip Carbon Fiber Jazz III picks a few days ago. I like how they feel, but it's quite a shock going from Dunlop Max-Grip 1.14 picks to these little guys. I need to try more tortex picks for funk. Still searching for the right pick for tight funk rhythm.
        Give those little guys some time to grow on you, and then going back to regular size picks will feel utterly ridiculous!

Those JP Trinity picks are also great IMO.

Comment

I've tried the red jazz III / Eric Johnson picks and the strings just rip it out of my fingers. I have to totally change my hand/playing to a lighter touch, which only works for single notes for me. At the first chord, I drop the pick.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Give those little guys some time to grow on you, and then going back to regular size picks will feel utterly ridiculous!
            Oh totally! I mean, I spent an hour playing with the CF Jazz III picks, then when I went back to my Dunlops, I felt like I was holding picks meant for a giant.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              I've tried the red jazz III / Eric Johnson picks and the strings just rip it out of my fingers. I have to totally change my hand/playing to a lighter touch, which only works for single notes for me. At the first chord, I drop the pick.
              I remember that it was a learning curve for me. Acoustic strumming especially took adjustment (I was a bit of a wild basher for a while), but the accuracy improvements over that time were a big deal. It's all about how you angle the pick and how loosely or tightly you hold it.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                I can still use regular sized picks, but they feel a bit clumsy in my hands now.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I can still use regular sized picks, but they feel a bit clumsy in my hands now.
                  Same here. Every now and then when I want to do some rhythmic strumming I grab my trusty red standard .5mm dunlop tortex. It is forgiving and rounded enough to absorb my awkward strums.

Comment

.88 Dunlop Primetimes (made of Ultex) are the best feeling and sounding picks out there right now IME

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Ltaely I've been using the black Jazz IIIs. Forces me to be much more accurate and consistent with hand movements since it is so small. I either hit the string precisely or I miss/dig in with my finger. I noticed with bigger picks that especially with fast triplet stuff I let a little too much pick between the strings, allowing it to wobble and stutter.

Comment

I order my custom tortex Jazz IIIs from InTuneGP.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I should have mentioned that Yellow Dunlop Jazz III .73s are my second favorite.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                            .88 Dunlop Primetimes (made of Ultex) are the best feeling and sounding picks out there right now IME

You do not pass go, you do not collect 200$. That is the incorrect shape AND size to be the best feeling pick. :P

I was thinking of trying out the primetone Jazz III version that they make, but man they're a little expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

You do not pass go, you do not collect 200$. That is the incorrect shape AND size to be the best feeling pick. :P

I was thinking of trying out the primetone Jazz III version that they make, but man they're a little expensive.
                              they are damn expensive for sure. Yeah its a shame they dont have a ton of shapes yet.

But damn they sound so good recording and their strong rebound gets a snappy playing feel

Comment

Working...
                              X