banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, that pink Harley Benton Telecaster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I think the Harley Benton and the Shell Pink Tele above are really 2 different audiences with different goals in mind.
    Agreed, completely different, functionally as well as aesthetically.
    I like the general specs of the HB - T-style with trem, dual hums, and roasted neck (looks to be, at least).
    I'd just be able to appreciate it a whole lot more if it were shell pink instead of... whatever that is.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'm in the TE-62 and Shell Pink camp, but the dual-'bucker Hot Pink is still nice. The SE-62 would be cool with a 920D Customs mini-hum pickguard and an SM-1.

Comment

I think functionally, I like the Hot Pink one. I think if Harly Bentons were easily found in the US, they would own the lower end of the market.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If I'm doing Harley Benton TE model, I'm doing the MadCat version TE-80. Upgrade the guards to celluloid/acrylic vintage tortoise and bam! Partying like it's 1999.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            I went to the shop Dave recommended and indeed they had a Pink HB Tele!

The one they had was this:

Click image for larger version Name:	n0d0963is2791.jpg?auto=webp&s=fba12af286235393f641b6cc3fcd1795cb5aab8a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	6199410

Yup, if I was a Tele man...I'd be all over that! Too bad I can't seem to jive with the shape, 'cuz I love the way it looks and a Wilkinson trem is huge for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Yup, if I was a Tele man...I'd be all over that! Too bad I can't seem to jive with the shape, 'cuz I love the way it looks and a Wilkinson trem is huge for me!
              Me, too! So are the 2 humbuckers.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That HB is a decent budget Prince tribute. I wonder what is in that rear pickguard. I am also wondering how long HB will get away with selling these? Prince's estate has gone after Cloud guitar copies aggressively, including the suing guy who built them originally for Prince for making additional guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  "Hey guys . . . let me tell you about a guitar I didn't buy."

:P

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    That HB is a decent budget Prince tribute. I wonder what is in that rear pickguard. I am also wondering how long HB will get away with selling these? Prince's estate has gone after Cloud guitar copies aggressively, including the suing guy who built them originally for Prince for making additional guitars.
                    It's basically a 2-pickup Strat with no middle pickup. Don't know what they are, but the most meticulous reissue I've seen was using custom noiseless Heartbreaker pickups https://www.heartbreakerpickups.com/strat-pickups. One internet source says Prince replaced his with Fender Noiseless and then Kinman Traditional with a dummy coil under the pickguard. Don't know the veracity of that information.

I think Prince's estate would have a hard time shutting these down as I think it would be complicated to go after all the builders and distributors involved that have legal basis to continue making them. Multiple manufacturers have been making copies since the 80's without penalty, so there's precedent to keep going.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      I think Prince's estate would have a hard time shutting these down as I think it would be complicated to go after all the builders and distributors involved that have legal basis to continue making them. Multiple manufacturers have been making copies since the 80's without penalty, so there's precedent to keep going.
                      Most of Prince's siblings have gone from sponging off Prince to making his licensing their full-time business. I think his sister Tyka is the executor of the trust and is reportedly ruthless. She is a former crack addict and prostitute. She has that junkie spirit of grabbing every cent you can grab.

The man who created the Cloud Guitar seen in Purple Rain says he’s reached an agreement with Prince’s estate to continue building replicas.

The pair knew each other long before Prince found fame, with Dave Rusan having tried out for one of Prince’s early bands. That didn’t work out but they remained friends, and Rusan wound up being commissioned to create a unique instrument for the 1984 movie.

Rusan crafted four more versions of the Cloud Guitar until Prince’s death in 2016, when he began offering replicas for $8,000, and went on to trademark his design. That led to a lawsuit from Paisley Park, with the demand that he surrender the trademark, seemingly associated with the estate’s offering of their own version of the Cloud for $1,750.

Rusan now says the issue has been settled. “I feel very relieved; I feel like a tremendous burden has been lifted,” he tells 5 Eyewitness News in St. Paul, Minn. “It doesn’t feel good to have someone try to tell you what you can do and can’t do.”

Read More: Legal Battle Over Prince's Cloud Guitar is Over | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/prin...edium=referral

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        She is a former crack addict and prostitute. She has that junkie spirit of grabbing every cent you can grab.

Comment

Working...
                        X