banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth upgrading the bridge in my Gibson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth upgrading the bridge in my Gibson?

So I have a Gibson Les Paul Tribute. It comes with a lightweight aluminum API Nashville bridge. Don't know what the saddles are made of. It's not giving me any trouble, but, back when I had my LTD and my Epiphone, I replaced their bridges with Graphtech Resomax Tune O's and noticed a HUGE difference.

This bridge is different, though. On paper, it's already a good metal, so I don't know if I would notice that big of an upgrade.

What do you guys think? Upgrade it or leave it? I definitely want the guitar to sound the best it can (it already is a beast, but maybe it can be even better?). But I'm not sure if the bridge will make a difference.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-18-2022, 12:12 PM.

i pretty much leave things unless its an issue

Comment

I upgraded the bridge on my Epiphone Dot from whatever pot metal was on it to a Tonepros and noticed a difference. It was acoustically louder, sustain was better, and recordings seemed to have a little more bass afterwards. So yeah, bridge material can change things.

In your case though you've got a well made bridge there already . . . so it wouldn't be an upgrade as much as a sideways movement. Going to a heavier bridge than aluminum might add some lows and increase sustain a little bit. It's in the ear of the listener whether or not this is better though.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's not giving me any trouble
        You answered your own question.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yeah, I don't replace stuff unless it is an issue, either. It is easy to fall into a trap of just making sideways steps and spending lots of money on a quest.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’d say leave it be.

Comment

I concur - unless it's giving you trouble, I probably wouldn't bother.
              Then again, I've upgraded perfectly good tailpieces just for an extra bit of air in the tone.
              For me, on two Epiphones, the Resomax bridges made a noticeable difference too.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Going from the lightweight aluminum bridge to something like a Resomax isn't going to be like going from the cast-zinc Epi bridge to a Resomax...I wouldn't waste the money, personally

Comment

The curiosity would kill me if I didn't also try a non-aluminium bridge on there.

Comment

You already have the bridge most players replace theirs with. At some point, if you don't have an obvious problem to fix, upgrades start to get silly.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm just going to leave it.

I would like to try a Callaham since it's steel, but they're out of stock.

Oh, well.

Comment

I say slowly replace everything until it becomes a full philosophical debate on if the original guitar still exists.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          I say slowly replace everything until it becomes a full philosophical debate on if the original guitar still exists.

My Epiphone dot has the original wood left on it (although the fingerboard has been reshaped). Nothing else was there when I bought it.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                          X