Guitar drying with age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar drying with age

Is it possible for a guitar neck to eventually completely dry out with age and break?

Is it sealed? Painted? You talking about the neck itself or the fretboard? Need more info!

Comment

It would not be something I would worry about I have seen 500-year-old guitars in great shape. If the guitar was untreated and you lived next to an ocean I might have some concerns. But it is nothing I would lose sleep over.

Are you experiencing some issues?

Comment

So many guys have been sanding the finish off the backs of their guitar necks since the late 1960's and I've never heard of any one of them breaking under normal play, transportation and storage.

Comment

I suppose in a very low humidity home that is being heated in the winter might cause something to get dry enough to crack, but not to implode.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's best to keep an electric's neck humidified, but I've never heard of one snapping from dryness alone.
            In terms of problems from dessication, acoustics are far more critical.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The simple answer to your question is "no".

Torrified wood for necks and fretboards is becoming very popular these days because they are very strong and stable. Torrifaction is the process of heating wood in an oxygen-free environment to remove moisture and volatile oils. This process is meant to speed up the natural aging process of wood, which is a good thing (aged wood is stronger and more stable than "fresh" wood). It is a similar process (plus pressure) which forms diamonds.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've seen rosewood fretboards that have dried enough to crack. Other than that, I think you should be good with the neck. You might feel the frets sticking out more than usual when things get really dry, that's about it.

Acoustic guitars are a whole other thing though - the tops will move a surprising amount depending on humidity, and warping/cracking is not uncommon.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

OP, are you talking about your Squier again...the one with the roasted Maple neck?

Where are these concerns coming from?

Is there an issue with your guitar that you'd like to share with the class?

You think Fender would sell their guitars with necks that are prone to breaking?

Comment

^ This
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                      OP, are you talking about your Squier again...the one with the roasted Maple neck?

Where are these concerns coming from?

Is there an issue with your guitar that you'd like to share with the class?

You think Fender would sell their guitars with necks that are prone to breaking?
                      Nothing wrong with the guitar. Just me worrying too much hahaha

Comment

I have had some Bare wood Fenders for over 20 years = basically almost totally unfinished necks -- the wood shrinks a few times -- Id dare say: Like 3-times is normal thru the years -- I do my own Fret repairs when this happens as they stick out past the fret-board edges and snag at your skin as you slide your hand up the neck -- so I flat file them down with a single cut file and de-bur the sharp edges sides that are left behind with smaller files or Stew Macs Diamond grit Fret Crowning tool (expensive file) but worth owning! I then sand and polish the sides to a nice custom guitar shine by going thru the smaller grades of sand paper then a trip to the Buffing Wheel -- most all my Teles needed this even my Customs or Factory made's -- its the home heaters the Shrink mine - but as time roll on one day they just cant shrink any further & that's the day we all live for, No more Fret work required!!
                        most all Unbound neck guitars like the Strats and Teles all needed their "CACTUS Needles" (sharp protruding Fret Edges) filed down about three times over the years! https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...mond-fret-file
                        Last edited by Don Mare; 11-11-2022, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X