A Heat Press on my Explorer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Heat Press on my Explorer?

I picked up an Epiphone Explorer during the summer and it's a real nice guitar and my Duncans sound great in it. Right around November it started to show fret buzz, so I brought it to my guitar technician and he did an adjustment with the truss rod and he may have touched up a fret or two.

When I got it back from him it played great.

Problem is that only lasted about 3 days.

After that it's like the neck simply went out.

Practically every fret is buzzing now. He told he was considering putting a heat press on the neck. He told me he really could not get enough relief in the neck.

I don't know why the neck did not hold, but I used to have a Fender Classic Vibe that had a bad neck that I replaced with a Warmoth neck that solved that problem.

I'm hoping that I don't have a bad piece of wood in this guitar too.

It's possible the difference in humidity has changed (like the weather), or your home might be different from the shop? Remember that wood responded to temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure when it was alive. It still does, just not as much. It might be the truss rod, too. Take it back, and let him try again. He should do it for no charge.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I recommend to change to a higher string guage.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
        I recommend to change to a higher string guage.
        If it's back bowing and the truss rod is out of adjustment, this would be a good suggestion. Some guitars just like heavier wire on them.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

What year is it? A lot of Epis have double action truss rods these days and it can freak people out that don’t know because there’s a loose spot when they go from suck to blow and back.

my Tbird Classic Pros are 2012 and 2013 and they have them.

Comment

I bought the guitar new from an online retailer this summer. I'm using .010's for strings.

Comment

Has the tune-o-matic bridge collapsed in the middle?
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
                I bought the guitar new from an online retailer this summer. I'm using .010's for strings.
                Epi gives a lifetime warranty to the original buyer. Doesn't cover wear and tear but if the neck is defective, it should be covered under warranty.
                I'd call the dealer.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  Has the tune-o-matic bridge collapsed in the middle?
                  I don’t see that happening in less than a year on a brand new guitar, though I suppose it’s entirely possible.

That said, his tech probably would have noticed if that were the case. I know I would and I just do this stuff for fun.
                  Last edited by formula73; 12-20-2022, 06:54 AM.

Comment

I'd just call that tech up. I am sure he will re-check his work...you already paid for it.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah that's no problem with him. He has always enjoyed working on my guitars.

Comment

I recommend changing to a better tech who knows about guitars and how to fix them.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          I recommend changing to a better tech who knows about guitars and how to fix them.
                          That’s awfully presumptuous and utterly unhelpful. Good job.

Comment

Geez...My guitar tech is the best in this area. He has built guitars and amps. I don't live in a big area. Maybe a change in temperature and humidity just threw the neck out of adjustment. Pianos are the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
                              Geez...My guitar tech is the best in this area. He has built guitars and amps. I don't live in a big area. Maybe a change in temperature and humidity just threw the neck out of adjustment. Pianos are the same way.
                              That dude’s a grumpy old man who knows everything better than everybody else. Don’t let him under your skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X