A Heat Press on my Explorer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
    Geez...My guitar tech is the best in this area. He has built guitars and amps. I don't live in a big area. Maybe a change in temperature and humidity just threw the neck out of adjustment. Pianos are the same way.
    I would be interested to know what your guitar tech says. Please post back with an update.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

That’s awfully presumptuous and utterly unhelpful. Good job.
      No, not presumptuous at all, and possibly the BEST most helpful advice so far!
      Three days after "fixing" it, practically every fret was buzzing. There is no condition that I can think of that would cause this if the guitar was indeed properly fixed (unless he broke the truss rod). If you can illustrate one, I'm all ears.

I live in an area that goes from 110 degrees in the summer to sometimes below 10 degrees in the winter. I have not experienced that with any of my 65 guitars in the least! Some of my guitars are even crappy cheap ones that are 20 years old.

By the way, who are you to judge my experience and expertise?! Can you even hint at a possible reason for his problem? And best yet, can you come up with a "helpful" solution.
      Last edited by GuitarDoc; 12-24-2022, 09:39 AM.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

That dude’s a grumpy old man who knows everything better than everybody else. Don’t let him under your skin.
        Those inflammatory remarks don't make you look any more credible. However, it does make your statement seem pretty credulous concerning your knowledge.

Comment

Geez...My guitar tech is the best in this area. He has built guitars and amps. I don't live in a big area. Maybe a change in temperature and humidity just threw the neck out of adjustment. Pianos are the same way.
          Going out of tune is one thing. Buzzing at every fret is quite another...temperature and/or humidity will not cause that extreme, especially in three days.

Comment

I do agree that you should take it back to the tech and ask for details about why this happened after your first visit and what he intends to do to fix it.

If good results don't follow, then I agree about returning the "defective" guitar and getting a replacement.

Comment

Buzzing at every fret is quite another...temperature and/or humidity will not cause that extreme, especially in three days.
              Yes, it can. I delivered a new bass on Sunday, and Wednesday the client brought it back for a truss rod adjustment. My shop is heated by central air - his home was heated by a wood stove. The difference in humidity and uneven temps caused the change. I made him a tool to adjust the truss rod (it had the wheel at the heel ala Music Man, etc.), and gave him a few quick instructions. No complaints on Friday morning.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Those inflammatory remarks don't make you look any more credible. However, it does make your statement seem pretty credulous concerning your knowledge.
                It’s not inflammatory; it’s dismissive.

Comment

Let's get back to the topic.

Comment

Shouldn't have gotten off topic in the first place by attacking me.

Comment

Any updates on what's going on with this instrument?

Comment

He is currently working on my Goldtop Les Paul so when he calls me and tells me that's done I will pick up the Les Paul and leave my Explorer with him. Sad thing about him is he has lots of medical problems which really have slowed him down.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

Yes, it can. I delivered a new bass on Sunday, and Wednesday the client brought it back for a truss rod adjustment. My shop is heated by central air - his home was heated by a wood stove. The difference in humidity and uneven temps caused the change.
                          I find my newer guitars swing the most with seasonal changes and start to settle as they get older. But yes, I have found if I leave a newer guitar at our practice space with central air after a week or so, the rod needs a little tweak.

Comment

He is currently working on my Goldtop Les Paul so when he calls me and tells me that's done I will pick up the Les Paul and leave my Explorer with him. Sad thing about him is he has lots of medical problems which really have slowed him down.
                            Well, at least it is in the queue. Hopefully the medical situation gets sorted out.

Comment

I picked up my Les Paul today and brought the Explorer to him. He told me it will take awhile for the neck on the Les Paul to settle in and he probably will need to make another adjustment on it. He invited me to watch him put the heat press on my Explorer.

One big mistake I've made is other than a Carvin Les Paul copy which I played for 10 years, I haven't owned a single guitar long enough to let the guitar break in and settle in.

So don't get into the trap of always buying and selling guitars. It's a real easy cycle to fall into.

Comment

Did he mention what might have gone wrong with the Explorer?

Comment

Working...
                                X